What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I may or may not have eaten way more chocolate than I should today. At least it was 85%
Chocolate is my last carb to go! Did you know if you want to go hardcore on the % you can get 100 (%) from Hotel Chocolat and you;d be hard pressed to binge on that!

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chocolate is my last carb to go! Did you know if you want to go hardcore on the % you can get 100 (%) from Hotel Chocolat and you;d be hard pressed to binge on that!

I did! In fact the 85% is from there and I have a 90% in the fridge. 100% still tastes and feels like charcoal to me but I’m hoping I’ll be able to stomach it at some point. Im trying to replace chocolate with SF jelly and cream but didn’t have any ready.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone
Very quiet day today, weather has been warm but very grey, breezy and a little drizzly
Coffee with cream when I woke
No breakfast but a 2nd coffee mid morning
Food shopping preceded by a small cooked breakfast, 2 sausages, 1 slice of bacon, fried egg and half a slice of fried bread, was going to leave it but it was so crispy I gave in, cappuccino, seems I got away with it as reading was less at 2hr
Strawberry and raspberry smoothie late afternoon
D remainder of the lo dough quiche from yesterday, small salad, mini pack pork scratchings, small portion of strawberries, raspberries and cream

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did! In fact the 85% is from there and I have a 90% in the fridge. 100% still tastes and feels like charcoal to me but I’m hoping I’ll be able to stomach it at some point. Im trying to replace chocolate with SF jelly and cream but didn’t have any ready.
Believe it or not speaking as someone who had lots of birthday chocolate from hotel chocolate some of their 90% is lower carb than some of their 100% it’s worth reading their nutrition panels although they are tiny! I love their 100% buttons though as only 0.2 g per button and easier to ration.
Plus @NicoleC1971 for info - as I’m sure as @Goonergal will agree - a binge is possible on very high % chocolate once you get used to it......
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch 4 low carb seeded crispbreads with some pate, olive oil hummus and celery followed by 3 raspberries and spoon fage yogurt
Dinner chicken curry with one slice of Lc bread followed by sf jelly and yoghurt. Plus a careful portion of HCs 80% super milk.
@jayney27 i love your new glamorous avatar you look amazing well done on your transformation you must be delighted.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 my attempt at the other microwave bread, I sprinkled seasame seeds on mine and I’ve had it as buttered toast with a black rooibos tea for breakfast. I toasted it when I got to work as I was a little bit behind this morning, 3 people came into the kitchen as it popped out of the toaster, noses in the air like sniffer dogs, all thought it smelt amazing.
That looks really good.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe it or not speaking as someone who had lots of birthday chocolate from hotel chocolate some of their 90% is lower carb than some of their 100% it’s worth reading their nutrition panels although they are tiny! I love their 100% buttons though as only 0.2 g per button and easier to ration.
Plus @NicoleC1971 for info - as I’m sure as @Goonergal will agree - a binge is possible on very high % chocolate once you get used to it......
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch 4 low carb seeded crispbreads with some pate, olive oil hummus and celery followed by 3 raspberries and spoon fage yogurt
Dinner chicken curry with one slice of Lc bread followed by sf jelly and yoghurt. Plus a careful portion of HCs 80% super milk.
@jayney27 i love your new glamorous avatar you look amazing well done on your transformation you must be delighted.
Thank you @shelley262 I didn’t realise quite how far I’d come until I looked for photographs for the inspirational booklet, it’s been a lovely surprise to compare then and now, also a little bit of a shock
You have a new avatar too which is lovely, Cooper is such a sweetheart x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @shelley262 I didn’t realise quite how far I’d come until I looked for photographs for the inspirational booklet, it’s been a lovely surprise to compare then and now, also a little bit of a shock
You have a new avatar too which is lovely, Cooper is such a sweetheart x
When I show people one of my old photos the one that will be in the booklet even my boys don’t believe it’s me so not surprised that I can’t believe it either

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I show people one of my old photos the one that will be in the booklet even my boys don’t believe it’s me so not surprised that I can’t believe it either
Yes I meant to say your transformation is wonderful, we all have done fantastically well.
I was trying to find photographs last night for the booklet and I actually couldn’t believe how much I’ve changed, the biggest difficulty was finding a recent one that was suitable, there weren’t many to choose from and my partner was in most of them or I was in holiday mode, not the best of looks lol so today was a quick hot brush session and I dragged my partner from the shower to take this new one, I think he thought I’d gone mad ;)

Reactions: shelley262

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very pleasant day in many ways today. Weather here was good and we met up with my uncle and showed him all the pictures of our two new granddaughters. @Goonergal big thanks for the Schneider Brot tip that was just the type of bread I tried 3 years ago but it spiked me higher than I wanted - as you will see I have not tested this yet but I do like the taste.
Menu below:
Pre Breakfast 3 mugs tea _ Starbucks Vente size
Breakfast: 45 mins walk then Lemon Green tea - 2 pints
Mid morning snack: Driving around Cambridge avoiding deranged cyclists
Lunch: Coffee in M and S with very eccentric uncle - the product of 3 older sisters - a salutary warning to all; M and S biggest Soya milk Latte and (eventually found) Chorizo and Diabolo Cheddar rolitos - those are a thing of beauty
Afternoon snack: Tea and 1 slice Schneider Brot Protein Bread toast and butter - Yes result ( 3 bl***y years later! ) No idea of impact just eating for pleasure at the moment testing comes when I am happy with the diet and exercise regime. Will take a while to get back to where I was bit like a sportsman coming back from injury. 40 min walk
Evening meal: Mackerel and avocado salad topped with plenty of chia seeds 30 to 60 min exercise bike depending on how I feel
Driving around Cambridge? Not something I ever managed in my working days. I stuck to the outskirts and the business parks. Cambridge itself way too confusing (probably due to the deranged cyclists). I do recall one time I took the train (was in London the day before) and was getting a ticket from the machine in Cambridge station and it tormented me for 30 mins. It would return my card so far but as soon as I tried to grab it back into the machine it went over and over. Trouble is it was my business card with a large credit limit. Not a member of staff to be seen so ended up having to stand at the machine while calling Barclays to cancel the card. It eventually spat it out but only after I'd cancelled it.
I was looking for the hidden cameras.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@ianpspurs I sympathise over the apples, I am not going to be able to get through Sept without one.
@purplepenguin you’re doing brilliantly, I had to laugh at you putting your shoes on ready fot a MaccyD emergency run. Fantastic that you didn’t do it.
@jayney27 you look great- Tanned and slim - a winning combo, well done.
@shelley262 I hadnt realised about the HC 90% chocolate, who’d have thought!

Today I played with my IP a bit - put a load of beef bones in before breakfast - they are free at my butchers but a marrowbone is 50p. Bargain!
B: Scrambled egg, smoked salmon and avocado with coffee and cream
L: salad with Spinach, halloumi, avocado, cauliflower remoulade ( I love that dressing) and a boiled egg - simply an excuse to cook boiled eggs in the IP. Worked very well, done perfectly, no dark ring around the yolk and super easy to peel. I now have a fridge full.
D: whole chicken done in IP rubbed a paprika/ spice mix mixed with butter over it first which gave it a nice colour and stopped it looking ‘boiled’ at the end. Had it with cauli and broccoli cheese, and some runner beans. Glass of red.

Question for IP users - can I use the chicken carcass for stock in the IP now that I’ve cooked it to begin with in the IP?
Thanks
IMG_5403.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@ianpspurs I sympathise over the apples, I am not going to be able to get through Sept without one.
@purplepenguin you’re doing brilliantly, I had to laugh at you putting your shoes on ready fot a MaccyD emergency run. Fantastic that you didn’t do it.

Today I played with my IP a bit - put a load of beef bones in before breakfast - they are free at my butchers but a marrowbone is 50p. Bargain!
L: salad with Spinach, halloumi, avocado, cauliflower remoulade ( I love that dressing) and a boiled egg - simply an excuse to cook boiled eggs in the IP. Worked very well, done perfectly, no dark ring around the yolk and super easy to peel. I now have a fridge full.
D: whole chicken done in IP rubbed a paprika/ spice mix mixed with butter over it first which gave it a nice colour and stopped it looking ‘boiled’ at the end. Had it with cauli and broccoli cheese, and some runner beans. Glass of red.

Question for IP users - can I use the chicken carcass for stock in the IP now that I’ve cooked it to begin with in the IP?
Thanks
View attachment 28141
It’s only one of the 90% ones their standard 90% dark is 13.8g per 100g and highest 100% I found is 100% rare and vintage 100% Ecuador dark which believe it or not is 29.3g per 100g so even more than 80% supermilk at 27.6g ! It pays to read the blurb!

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. I know I ddin't sleep well but seem to have woken up in mid September:angelic: People are doing ditching and hedging - not proper farmers but comers in:arghh: We have soo many apples this year and they are very big. We are right next to a big apple orchard and the growers have been selling fruit there for at least 35 years so selling is hard and giving away next to their stall is very unneighbourly. We are talking 300 kgs at least. Shame to just fell them but may end up that way.
We have bumper apple harvest too. Still some on the trees, but we seem to be winning the war with the grey squirrels that like to take a bite out of each of them. Few people seem to want the Bramleys, as they can get an apple pie from Tesco for a quid. Wondering if one of the food banks would like some, because I don't fancy the job of processing them for the freezer, especially as I won't be eating them (sobs). And I don't want to be feeding the pesky squirrels, either.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about melting some of the 100% choc and mixing it with double cream for that chocolately taste without the charcoal?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Thanks
View attachment 28141
No reason why not but I'd add other chicken bits too e.g. wings and if you can get them feet (gives a great gel stock and butchers give them away). Veggies such as carrot , celery, onion anything I have as they are removed at the end. About 45 mins , natural release.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have bumper apple harvest too. Still some on the trees, but we seem to be winning the war with the grey squirrels that like to take a bite out of each of them. Few people seem to want the Bramleys, as they can get an apple pie from Tesco for a quid. Wondering if one of the food banks would like some, because I don't fancy the job of processing them for the freezer, especially as I won't be eating them (sobs). And I don't want to be feeding the pesky squirrels, either.
We did make cider in the past - 20 gals - which used quite a few. Bramleys work better than Howgate wonder which go to mush. We will try a French Apple pie with a pastry we have tried and some 0% maple syrup and inulin to glaze. The apples I like best are Egremont Russets which have cropped well this year, Mrs P likes Spartans, again big crop this year. We will try making Apple Cider Vinegar. Chickens will have some but pips are bad for them. There is also a bumper crop of pears. I am not a big fan of Wiliiam pears but Doyenne du comice are proper pears. I planted a tree of comice year before dx which is doing really well now.
Wow @maglil55 I have never met a butcher who would give you so much as a snarl for free. In this area they charge an extra £5 for dialogue

Last edited: