Carb counting...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Maybe it was the 25 years in between that missed out on it?

Viv :)

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I cant remember being taught about it in school, mind you i wasnt in school much i got first prize for bunking off :shock: i remember cutting up frogs and rats though :D

Sue

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
School well over 38 years ago for me No PCs in schools then

I can remember six of the best (the cane) :?
Prunes and custard ,,tinker Taylor solder sailor with the pips :)
Colored red blue ally mugs for drinking water , always warm
Made to put wallpaper on all your text books
Physics
chemistry
Biology
Geography
English
Maths
RE
PE plimsolls the original ones pillow case with string for PE KIT
Boys Metalwork woodwork and ,tec drawing
Girls Typing ,Cooking ,Needlework
Wagon wheels at the Tuck Shop
Smoking in the bike shed

NO!!! Deff NO Carb Counting

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well my own schooling is equally long ago and I certainly learned the basic food groups somewhere: probably initially in domestic science, though we only did that for a year. I remember having to write menus for infants and 'invalids'. We didn't actually cook very much :lol:
In biology, I also remember having to describe the journey of a sandwich through the body, so probably far more detail than seems to be taught in some of the GCSE syllabuses today.

( I don't think anyone would teach carb counting, though I know I've done label reading exercises with 10 year olds. It doesn't matter what's taught, it's whats learned and whats remembered that counts )

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Yerr that was all girls stuff ,with cooking un stuff

We had nails to bang in and metal to melt :D

jameshallam

LaughingHyena said:
I was diagnosed T1 last September. I was given a fixed dose of insulin to use for each meal in the hospital on the first morning but was told that this would only be till I got used to the injections, then I would start carb counting.

I think it was about a week later I saw the dietitian who gave me some ratios to work with, I was given a leaflet with a table of carb grams in common foods but advised to get a copy of carbs & cals and possibly another carb counting book, or to look other things up online.

The hospital team have always impressed upon me that I need to count total carbs, not just sugar but have not said anything about reducing them, or indeed making sure to eat them at each meal.

I was diagnosed in Oct 2009 and had a pretty similar experience.
The doctor asked me if I would rather carb count and have four injections a day or go for 2 injectionions day. I asked about the pros and cons of each and it seemed like a no brainer to me.

After leaving hospital I booked an appointment with the local dietician who helped me with the basics. I then read many books, internet sites (and found my way here, trawling through past topics) and downloaded a few apps.

Practice, practice, practice - although you'll never be perfect!

yipster29

Diagnosed 2 years ago as T1 with a trip to hospital as my BG was 31. Hospital stabalised me and then advised me on carb counting straight away. They got me an appointment with a dietician who also went through carb counting.
Reading some of this I think I was lucky! But seeing as I'm on the Isle of Wight and I don't think we have DAFNE courses it's just as well really! :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having met someone who has only recently been taught carb counting before going on a pump, I appreciate even more, how the lack of carb counting affects peoples life's.

I am absolutely bemused that carb counting and diabetes etc goes hand in hand, and how it isn't a priority by the NHS to give this information to patients to help control their living with diabetes.

I so hope it changes for the better somehow, and that from forums like this that people will realise how important it is....