Blood Glucose Readings On My Apple Watch With Miaomiao

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Done that,now it's just blank.Ive only had it one day and im already disillusioned.

Hi, I've used neither glimp nor MM, but I'm assuming you've got a recent version of glimp and not an older one which wasn't designed to be used in this way.

I'm also assuming you've gone through the procedure set out at this link, otherwise glimp won't know the mm is there:

https://www.miaomiao.cool/glimp

Have you been on the page shown at the foot of that page? If not, that's probably the cause of the problem - the mm and app won't talk to each other automatically, they need to be introduced.

Most transmitter arrangements usually involve typing in the actual transmitter number - can't see that mentioned in the instructions, maybe they forgot that bit or it's not needed.

Although having said that, I see in their last screenshot, there's an option for "MiaoMiao - connect to smartphone", so maybe that brings up a transmitter number input screen, but I'm just guessing.

Have a look around in the app for something which looks like a system status page - it'll at least give you a clue as to whether the mm is connected to the phone or not. Posting a screenshot would help.

Only other thing I can suggest is checking that the mm is close enough to the sensor: there's been reports that the nfc is so weak that it's screwed if the gap is more than a millimetre.

If all else fails, I'd ditch glimp and try xdrip+ instead.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you,I think it's going to take me a while to fully get the hang of it all.My son has been helping me (with a lot of eye rolling) and it's up and running at the moment.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
day 3 of mine and finding the readings way out at times, I am using it with xDrip+. Like today xDrip alared saying I was low (got it set at 4.8 mmol as my low point) then dropped to 2.2 mmol, done a reading with the libre reader it was saying 4.9 and stable, done a fingerstick test and was 6.5. All that said I do like getting the alarms after using the G6 starter kit.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your calibration is out in xDrip @Gaz-M. Have you given it any calibration readings manually or is it configured to take them automatically (I leave mine on auto)? I'm using Blucon but it should behave similarly to MiaoMiao in xDrip.

If the calibration has gone wonky on a sensor in xDrip, it can be reset as helpfully pointed out to me by @Scott-C, by going to 'Stop Sensor' and then choosing the option to only reset the calibration. If you get stuck I'll try and help a bit more but excuse my brevity for now as I'm posting on my phone.

I am finding I have kind of the opposite problem - my Libre reads progressively lower and lower than xDrip and fingerpricks but once it's been calibrated xDrip isn't far away from fingerpricks unless I'm on the move up or down (due to Libre's delay).

Reactions: Gaz-M

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Sounds like your calibration is out in xDrip @Gaz-M. Have you given it any calibration readings manually or is it configured to take them automatically (I leave mine on auto)? I'm using Blucon but it should behave similarly to MiaoMiao in xDrip.

If the calibration has gone wonky on a sensor in xDrip, it can be reset as helpfully pointed out to me by @Scott-C, by going to 'Stop Sensor' and then choosing the option to only reset the calibration. If you get stuck I'll try and help a bit more but excuse my brevity for now as I'm posting on my phone.

I am finding I have kind of the opposite problem - my Libre reads progressively lower and lower than xDrip and fingerpricks but once it's been calibrated xDrip isn't far away from fingerpricks unless I'm on the move up or down (due to Libre's delay).
I calibrate on a morning when the arrow is straight, think I may try calibrate twice a day to see if that helps

miguelpruivo

Hi there, I just registered myself so I could ask the op or anyone else who might know the answer to a few questions:

1. Are you using 14 day sensor? I'm from Portugal and here we only use 14 day sensors. I'm a bit afraid to order the MiaoMiao since I've read on their official fb group that the latest 14 day sensors in the USA (only the 10 day) doesn't work with MM.

2. I currently have the Spike app installed on my iPhone X and just took a look around the settings and so on to get more familiar with it. I've been using the LibreLink with LibreView online with my Libre and it works flawlessly as expected, giving a lot of stats and so. My doctor usually navigates between 1 month averages and looks at the patterns given by the app. The Spike doesn't seem to have something like that, only the main graph which you can navigate right?

3. What about the continuous monitoring during the day/night. Have you found the alerts useful and accurate? Did you receive alerts when you're getting high/lows and it actually matches?

4. Abbott just released a teaser a month ago announcing FreeStyle Libre 2 which will offer connection by bluetooth to provide alerts (lows, highs I suppose) and they're telling that it will might be available soon. Still don't know when. This could be the perfect solution tho (no bulky devices on the arm).

5. Are you able to both use Spike and LibreLink at the same time?

I was right about to purchase it from the site, however, I stepped back due to this questions that I still need to find the answer.

Thank you very much for your time.
Miguel

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
1 - in the UK we are using 14 day sensors , mine is wotking fine with miaomiao

2 - i am android and using xdrip and not familiar with spike

3 - this is a huge huge bonus for me -- i have prevented hypos because it has a predictive function as well as my phone and watch vibrating if i actually reach my hypo alarm setting ( 3.9 ) . it also alerted me the other night when my blood glucose hit 11.5 ( my upper alert alarm ) i got up and changed my pump out as there was no other reason i could have been rising -- had i not been wearing it i most likely would have been 20 - 21 by morning.

4- yes i have seen that as well -- i believe the launch is during 2019 but i am not positive when.

oh and also .........welcome to the forum !!!:)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi there, I just registered myself so I could ask the op or anyone else who might know the answer to a few questions:

1. Are you using 14 day sensor? I'm from Portugal and here we only use 14 day sensors. I'm a bit afraid to order the MiaoMiao since I've read on their official fb group that the latest 14 day sensors in the USA (only the 10 day) doesn't work with MM.

2. I currently have the Spike app installed on my iPhone X and just took a look around the settings and so on to get more familiar with it. I've been using the LibreLink with LibreView online with my Libre and it works flawlessly as expected, giving a lot of stats and so. My doctor usually navigates between 1 month averages and looks at the patterns given by the app. The Spike doesn't seem to have something like that, only the main graph which you can navigate right?

3. What about the continuous monitoring during the day/night. Have you found the alerts useful and accurate? Did you receive alerts when you're getting high/lows and it actually matches?

4. Abbott just released a teaser a month ago announcing FreeStyle Libre 2 which will offer connection by bluetooth to provide alerts (lows, highs I suppose) and they're telling that it will might be available soon. Still don't know when. This could be the perfect solution tho (no bulky devices on the arm).

5. Are you able to both use Spike and LibreLink at the same time?

I was right about to purchase it from the site, however, I stepped back due to this questions that I still need to find the answer.

Thank you very much for your time.
Miguel
1) yes, the MiaoMiao works fine with European 14 day sensors, it’s the change on the US that’s caused the problems.
2) you need to link your Spike to Nightscout if you want reports.
3) yes, it’s been great for alerts and I’m happy with the accuracy because it’s blood calibrated.
4) the new system just alerts you if you’re out of range, and that you need to scan - it doesn’t give the BG Reading with the sleet. Also, MM is very flat and not at all bulky.
5) yes :)

If you do decide to buy, this link will give you $10 off the price: http://portal.referralcandy.com/WJ5...ccessful_email&type=referral_link_email_click

Reactions: himtoo

miguelpruivo

Hello again, I would like to kindly thank you for your fast reply. I will order then and give it a try. :)

Could you tell me what’s the fastest way to get it? Does the Miao Miao oficial website delivers it fast? Or should I pick another option?

Plus, what is that calibration that you talk about? What actually it does? And how it works?

I’m not a pump user but I have 6.0% A1C only by eating well and using libre, but I know that if I could be alerted by highs or lows in time, I could avoid that and make it to 5.5-6.0% without lows. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello again, I would like to kindly thank you for your fast reply. I will order then and give it a try. :)

Could you tell me what’s the fastest way to get it? Does the Miao Miao oficial website delivers it fast? Or should I pick another option?

Plus, what is that calibration that you talk about? What actually it does? And how it works?

I’m not a pump user but I have 6.0% A1C only by eating well and using libre, but I know that if I could be alerted by highs or lows in time, I could avoid that and make it to 5.5-6.0% without lows. :)
The only way to buy is to order it direct from the manufacturer - my referral link takes you straight there. Mine came from China to the U.K. in ten days.

To calibrate, you do a blood test and enter the value into the app that you’re using with the MiaoMiao - Spike on iPhone; xdrip on Android. It then adjusts the values you see to match that. I calibrate maybe once every two days.

miguelpruivo

The only way to buy is to order it direct from the manufacturer - my referral link takes you straight there. Mine came from China to the U.K. in ten days.

To calibrate, you do a blood test and enter the value into the app that you’re using with the MiaoMiao - Spike on iPhone; xdrip on Android. It then adjusts the values you see to match that. I calibrate maybe once every two days.

Ok. I’ll use it. :)

That’s quite nice. But won’t it mess with the libre delay? I mean, from interstitial fluid to blood pricks there’s a 10 min gap more or less, so when you calibrate you’re saying one value that the libre will indeed measure a few minutes later. Won’t that mess around?

Just one more question before buying (I’m still a bit afraid of a wrong purchase. It’s not that cheap for something that far :p) do you have to have the app open in background on your iPhone or could you actually close all apps and it will still be giving you notifications and so?

Thank you again for the quick reply.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
But won’t it mess with the libre delay?

It does the opposite, Miguel. It tightens up the delay, in a good way.

I'm using a slightly different rig: libre, an older type of transmitter, blucon, with an android app, xdrip+. It's very similar to libre-miaomiao- spike.

Spike was developed from xdrip+: the people behind both apps talk to each other a lot.

What happens with calibration in both rigs is that when you wake up in the morning, there's a fair chance the glucose in your blood will be more or less the same as the same as the glucose in your interstitial fluid.

So, you do a bg test, and type that into the "do a calibration" part of it . That tells the app that if what it's getting from the sensor is 5 or whatever, but the bg test says it's 6.5 it's got a clearer idea of what the sensor is telling it.

If you look closely at the dots on the cgm trace which spike/xdrip+ shows you, the calibration entry for the bg test you've just entered appears on the timeline about 10 to 15 mins ahead of the live trace.

That's how it takes care of the lag - the app looks forward a bit, puts your calibration about 10 mins ahead, and waits till the cgm trace catches up, because it knows bg and ifg have a time difference.

It's a difficult thing to explain, one of those things you won't understand till you've been using it for a while, but I'd definitely say go for it - it makes libre much, much more accurate. I've had sketchy sensors where the Reader has been 2 out, but calibrating it has put it 0.5 out.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can’t add much to what @Scott-C said, @miguelpruivo - the Spike algorithm is very, very clever - it’s takes the lag into account. If you try to calibrate it and the conditions aren’t optimal, it’ll tell you when they are.

You do need to keep the app running in to background to collect the data, but it doesn’t use much by way of resources. Spike works on iPhones as old as the 5 - it’s written by a Portuguese guy, also called Miguel ;)

miguelpruivo

Just ordered mine today. Used your code @Mel dCP :) fingers crossed to get it ASAP.

Edit: yes, I’ve already noticed that. I’m also a software engineer and a mobile developer and had the chance to look the project in the repo on github. It’s actually developed in ActionScript which is a framework from adobe and I usually go native in iOS/Android. But I might take a deeper look later and who knows if even join to contribute improving the app. :)

Rach85

Hi all,

Sorry if this is going over the same ground again for you all.

My daughter is 8 with a really tiny wrist. She has a libre currently used with only the reader that came with it and I am looking at the miao miao for the purpose of the alarms. I would like this to link to a watch without having to have a phone nearby (she will be at school and not have a phone, I will be at work with my phone). I would also like to be able to access her readings from my phone (sony Experia xz premium). Is any of this possible? If so, what would the watch need, nfc, Bluetooth etc? I know little about phones, but this is mind blowing! Any help would be very much appricated xxxx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Rach85

A standalone smartwatch includes all the functionality of a smartphone built-in. Generally, they connect to 3G or 4G mobile networks and take a SIM card. ... In this way, you are not forced to use a smartphone with them if you do not want to.

i copied this from a review of standalone smart watch for models to look at

1. Top Pick: Apple Watch Series 3
  2. Runner-Up: Samsung Gear S3 Frontier
  3. Best Performance: LG Watch Sport