What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 - is the picture of the toast with the sesame seeds the Jennifer Banz 90 second or the Diet Doctor Mug Bread? I'm assuming from the shape it's the Jennifer Banz one.
@DJC3 - interesting web site that one jenniferbanz.com - first time I've come across it.
Hi @maglil55 its the Jennifer one, I just added sesame seeds for a bit of taste and texture.

Reactions: maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter put me onto it but Ive copied quite a few recipes and so far they’ve all been good. - It has a lot of IP recipes too!

@jayney27 I got the carb count wrong for the 90 sec bread, its 3g (not 5 as I originally put - must have been thinking of my complete meal carb count that day)

Its designed to be cut in 2 horizontally so you get 2 slices of 1.5 carbs. I had 1 bit fried with my breakfast today, pretty good.
Hi yes I thought the count was lower, I wondered if you had included the fibre. I imagine it would be very nice fried, the texture would certainly soak up the oil or butter it was fried in, did it go nice and crispy?

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Geoffno6

Do you maybe have a bug lurking? I've just had a few days where DP kicked back in and a day later achy limbs, stuffy nose etc followed. Settled down again after a couple of days. It's like having a built in early warning system of impending infection. It doesn't even have to be a bad infection to upset the delicate balance - mild upsets it too.

Thanks for the reply @magli55 but everything’s back to my sort of normal today so maybe it’s all just the weirdness of diabetes.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NicoleC1971 for info - as I’m sure as @Goonergal will agree - a binge is possible on very high % chocolate once you get used to it....

Sure is! Even 100% can be downed at an alarming rate! At least if you go for the lowest possible carb ones, even a whole 100g bar doesn’t do too much damage to total carb intake. Does give a pretty intense flavour hit though!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Moochy day today
Coffee with cream on waking
B late morning sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, 1 slice granary toast, a Sunday treat!
Starbucks cappacino while out and about
D cod loin cooked in a tikka paste with broccoli and kale and a couple of tomatoes
Might have a slice of lemon zucchini cake as I found some I’d frozen a week or so ago

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone had a good Sunday. Travelled into Suffolk to return youngest son to his home and then went on to see grandson and granddaughter. Pleased to return to doing some weights - very light but felt good. 40 mins walking after this post then maybe some more ex bike. Menu below:
Breakfast: 2 vente mugs of tea then 30 mins bike followed by more tea - all with h/m almond milk
Mid morning snack: None
Lunch: M and S chorizo and cheddar rolitos and h/f chocky bar while driving around Cambs and Suffolk
Afternoon snack:Tea then 40 mins light weights
Evening meal Lamb shoulder; roasted veg - tomato, baby beetroot, baby carrot - all homegrown; mushrooms; 40 mins walk; will be more food later either strawberries and fage 5% or more likely toast and butter.

Last edited:

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 days of intense cravings and I finally caved in. I own it and take full responsibility for the big mac and fries. I learn two things; 1. It didn’t taste as good as I remembered. 2. Self loathing hurts more than the cravings.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5 days of intense cravings and I finally caved in. I own it and take full responsibility for the big mac and fries. I learn two things; 1. It didn’t taste as good as I remembered. 2. Self loathing hurts more than the cravings.

Hugs @purplepenguin don’t be hard on yourself though, its just a blip.
You’ve hopefully got the craving out of your system now and you can start to enjoy proper food again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty lazy day today, it was so miserable weatherwise I didn’t feel enthusiastic about anything. Dug some dead plants out of the dry stone wall in front of the house and sanded the walls of the bedroom youngest daughter has vacated, ready for repainting.

Had a late breakfast: bacon, fried egg, mushrooms and a fried slice of the 90 second bread. @jayney27 yes it does go lovely and crispy when fried.

Lunch/ mid aft was a cup of bone broth, a handful of macadamia nuts and lazy mousse with 6 blackberries.

D: not very hungry, just had a few olives with feta cheese and a glass of red wine.

Forgot to add that I made a batch of @shelley262 s modified seedy crackers today and nibbled on 4 of them during the afternoon. ( 4 crackers-1g carb at the size I cut them) lovely and crispy. Even Mr C liked them.

@Rachox well done on your radio interview this morning, you sounded great. Were you nervous?

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bless you, we are all human and some days are easier than others. I have found the same when I’ve slipped off the straight and narrow, the food didn’t actually taste as I remembered which was a massive disappointment especially if it had a negative impact on my numbers, if it had been amazing I might have tolerated the disappointment better.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Busy day today including long walk with cooper who is going late tonight - he will be missed! Mind you we are puppy helping on Tuesday too at his place.
Also did a trial run first thing with @ianpspurs recipe for high fibre choc bars - made 10 small ones. Wow thank you Ian they are amazing and OH is also now a covert he says they have real substance I loved the mix of toffee, chocolate and flapjack type flavour delicious. Size I did worked out at 2.3g per bar. Much better than all those processed bars out there and cheaper too! Would recommend.
Breakfast slice bacon and egg
Lunch 4 seeded crispbreads and olive oil hummus plus a bit of Stilton and a few nuts followed by fage yoghurt
Dinner beef brisket slow cooked with mushrooms fried in butter and asparagus followed by coffee with one of Ian’s high fibre bars yum!
I’ve now done v3 of booklet and sent out aiming to complete v4 by mid week as preparing later in week for OHs family party and visitors at weekend as next Sunday as it is his 65th! If you haven’t seen the draft and would like to do message me and I’ll send to you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Catching up after a weekend away at my Dad’s.

@purplepenguin don’t beat yourself up. Just a part of this journey. My eyes have yet to catch up with my taste buds and remember that some of the things I look longingly at really don’t taste good. It does get easier.

@jayney27 am loving your new avatar

@shelley262 any chance of Cooper accompanying you to Birmingham? I’m sure I can find a spot for him in my room

Have eaten very well this weekend.

Yesterday - early train up to Birmingham. Was at station way earlier than needed so caught the train before the one planned. Snacked on 30g almonds and a small bag of baked cheese. A/C was in overdrive so headed for a warming cup of tea on arrival. Cafe was serving eggs and bacon so had some of that as was unlikely to have lunch.

Afternoon snack - lemon zucchini cake with extra thick double cream. Baked on Friday and took for my dad and his wife. They approved!

Dinner - small steak with buttered cabbage.

Today

Lunch - roast lamb, cauliflower cheese and buttered cabbage with bacon followed by a very small piece of lemon zucchini cake (we had eaten most of it yesterday) and extra thick double cream.

Dinner - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and 25g almonds. BG up 0.1mmols two hours later, so allowed myself a 25g bar Sainsbury’s 85% chocolate and 2 squares Alter Eco 85% chocolate.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just to say it happens to us all important thing is to forget it and get back to where you were. You probably just had to burst the bubble and now know it wasn’t the same as the memory you had so that should help would you like a copy of the draft recipe booklet it includes a link recommended by @maglil55 to a site with lots of burger ideas?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Busy day today including long walk with cooper who is going late tonight - he will be missed! Mind you we are puppy helping on Tuesday too at his place.
Also did a trial run first thing with @ianpspurs recipe for high fibre choc bars - made 10 small ones. Wow thank you Ian they are amazing and OH is also now a covert he says they have real substance I loved the mix of toffee, chocolate and flapjack type flavour delicious. Size I did worked out at 2.3g per bar. Much better than all those processed bars out there and cheaper too! Would recommend.
Breakfast slice bacon and egg
Lunch 4 seeded crispbreads and olive oil hummus plus a bit of Stilton and a few nuts followed by fage yoghurt
Dinner beef brisket slow cooked with mushrooms fried in butter and asparagus followed by coffee with one of Ian’s high fibre bars yum!
I’ve now done v3 of booklet and sent out aiming to complete v4 by mid week as preparing later in week for OHs family party and visitors at weekend as next Sunday as it is his 65th! If you haven’t seen the draft and would like to do message me and I’ll send to you.
@shelley262 glad the bars worked for you. My starting point was the price and unsatisfactory taste/ingredient list of commercial bars. As you say, they are nicely filling.

Reactions: DJC3

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just to say it happens to us all important thing is to forget it and get back to where you were. You probably just had to burst the bubble and now know it wasn’t the same as the memory you had so that should help would you like a copy of the draft recipe booklet it includes a link recommended by @maglil55 to a site with lots of burger ideas?

Thank you so much for your offer of the recipe booklet. That would be great. Shall I PM you my email address?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is the burger link this one, Shelley? https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/37-best-keto-burger-recipes-low-carb/

I do like IBIH's site and aggregations, such as these.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox well done on your radio interview this morning, you sounded great. Were you nervous?

Thanks for your kind words, I was a bit nervous but I hope it didn’t show. It was fun though!
Food today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, tiny roast potato (previously frozen), small individual yorkie and mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner at ILs; cheese, cold meat and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Catching up after a weekend away at my Dad’s.

@purplepenguin don’t beat yourself up. Just a part of this journey. My eyes have yet to catch up with my taste buds and remember that some of the things I look longingly at really don’t taste good. It does get easier.

@jayney27 am loving your new avatar

@shelley262 any chance of Cooper accompanying you to Birmingham? I’m sure I can find a spot for him in my room

Have eaten very well this weekend.

Yesterday - early train up to Birmingham. Was at station way earlier than needed so caught the train before the one planned. Snacked on 30g almonds and a small bag of baked cheese. A/C was in overdrive so headed for a warming cup of tea on arrival. Cafe was serving eggs and bacon so had some of that as was unlikely to have lunch.

Afternoon snack - lemon zucchini cake with extra thick double cream. Baked on Friday and took for my dad and his wife. They approved!

Dinner - small steak with buttered cabbage.

Today

Lunch - roast lamb, cauliflower cheese and buttered cabbage with bacon followed by a very small piece of lemon zucchini cake (we had eaten most of it yesterday) and extra thick double cream.

Dinner - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and 25g almonds. BG up 0.1mmols two hours later, so allowed myself a 25g bar Sainsbury’s 85% chocolate and 2 squares Alter Eco 85% chocolate.
Thank you @Goonergal
I think changing my avatar is a good way of reminding myself of my achievements, it’s very easy to not see the change in ourselves on a daily basis so hopefully this will keep me motivated.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another wonderful avatar @shelley262 :)