Reducing Your Insulin For Low Carb And Exercise

julie2615

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I have been type 2 for 7 years and started insulin in January. I have tried several kinds of basal and increased my dosages until settling on the concentrated Toujeo 300 using 130 units at night and Novorapid 40 units per meal a couple months ago. I’m also on Jardiance and Ramipril for heart/kidneys.

Still even with these doses my HBA1C was 81 at the end of May and I have put on 8kg this year with insulin so now BMI 29.

I did my research on this forum and since end of June, I have been reducing my carbs and now try to aim for less than 20g carbs a day, basically from veg.

As a result I kept Toujeo at 130 a night and have been reducing my Novorapid to average 5-8 units a meal. Even a no carb salad with protein or just eggs still required 5 units of insulin. I tracked on mySugr since June and my estimated HBA1C is now 37.

However over the past few days I have added in intermittent fasting 16/8 and have been doing Gillian’s 30 day shred dvd and other resistance exercise and have not needed any insulin for meals at all (under 20g carbs a day) but my wake up fasting and between meals I’m dropping to 4.0 several times.

I have had a jelly baby or gluco tab as recommended by diabetes nurse but really I don’t want to take this as it’s adding to my carb count.

How much should I reduce my Toujeo basal by to reflect for intermittent fasting and exercise? I reduced to 125 last night and still woke up to a 4.0. How long does exercising reduce your blood sugars for?

What HBA1C should I be aiming for with insulin? Should I go for normal levels or pre diabetic levels. I want to go low as possible but try to avoid hypos. What’s a good snack to have if I’m at 4.5 to avoid going lower but not too carby?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I have been type 2 for 7 years and started insulin in January. I have tried several kinds of basal and increased my dosages until settling on the concentrated Toujeo 300 using 130 units at night and Novorapid 40 units per meal a couple months ago. I’m also on Jardiance and Ramipril for heart/kidneys.

Still even with these doses my HBA1C was 81 at the end of May and I have put on 8kg this year with insulin so now BMI 29.

I did my research on this forum and since end of June, I have been reducing my carbs and now try to aim for less than 20g carbs a day, basically from veg.

As a result I kept Toujeo at 130 a night and have been reducing my Novorapid to average 5-8 units a meal. Even a no carb salad with protein or just eggs still required 5 units of insulin. I tracked on mySugr since June and my estimated HBA1C is now 37.

However over the past few days I have added in intermittent fasting 16/8 and have been doing Gillian’s 30 day shred dvd and other resistance exercise and have not needed any insulin for meals at all (under 20g carbs a day) but my wake up fasting and between meals I’m dropping to 4.0 several times.

I have had a jelly baby or gluco tab as recommended by diabetes nurse but really I don’t want to take this as it’s adding to my carb count.

How much should I reduce my Toujeo basal by to reflect for intermittent fasting and exercise? I reduced to 125 last night and still woke up to a 4.0. How long does exercising reduce your blood sugars for?

What HBA1C should I be aiming for with insulin? Should I go for normal levels or pre diabetic levels. I want to go low as possible but try to avoid hypos. What’s a good snack to have if I’m at 4.5 to avoid going lower but not too carby?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Julie - I'm not on insulin, so don't have any personal wisdom to offer on that score, however I wanted to say well done for improving your lot such a lot in a very brief time!

Observationally, it seems to me like how folks react to exercise is quite personal - some it makes go high, others go lower, so really a lot of that is probably going to be down to lots and lots of testing, recording and reviewing.

As I understand it, with the long acting insulins, it can take a few days for the full impacts of changes to make themselves known, so it is likely best not to make too many changes to that too quickly.

If at the moment, your frequently going towards or into hypo-land, it could be your insulin needs to be reviewed. Unfortunately, as you found, some folks find they gain weight when they begin on insulin, which can be for a number of reasons, so managing to reduce the doses you are taking (and being in a healthy range) can be a significant advantage to a T2.

I'm sure others with more relevant experience than I will be along to comment in due course, but it strikes me that when you're going through this change, it'd be good to be in regular contact with your diabetes team.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: poemagraphic

julie2615

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Julie - I'm not on insulin, so don't have any personal wisdom to offer on that score, however I wanted to say well done for improving your lot such a lot in a very brief time!

Observationally, it seems to me like how folks react to exercise is quite personal - some it makes go high, others go lower, so really a lot of that is probably going to be down to lots and lots of testing, recording and reviewing.

As I understand it, with the long acting insulins, it can take a few days for the full impacts of changes to make themselves known, so it is likely best not to make too many changes to that too quickly.

If at the moment, your frequently going towards or into hypo-land, it could be your insulin needs to be reviewed. Unfortunately, as you found, some folks find they gain weight when they begin on insulin, which can be for a number of reasons, so managing to reduce the doses you are taking (and being in a healthy range) can be a significant advantage to a T2.

I'm sure others with more relevant experience than I will be along to comment in due course, but it strikes me that when you're going through this change, it'd be good to be in regular contact with your diabetes team.

Good luck with it all.

Hi DCUKMod,

Many thanks for your reply! I saw the dietitian and diabetes nurse today and she was quite stunned by the turnaround in my glucose levels.

She has confirmed what you have suggested: to reduce my basal and that it does take a few days for the change to take effect.

I’m realising the importance of exercise on blood sugars and it looks like it will need to become a habit of an hour daily.

I’m not sure how sustainable Keto is longer term but I’m going to keep it up to lose weight to a healthy BMI and build muscle through exercise to improve my insulin sensitivity. I have already lost 2kg in the past 2 weeks so at least now I’m moving in the right direction!

Thank you again for your encouragement!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DCUKMod,

Many thanks for your reply! I saw the dietitian and diabetes nurse today and she was quite stunned by the turnaround in my glucose levels.

She has confirmed what you have suggested: to reduce my basal and that it does take a few days for the change to take effect.

I’m realising the importance of exercise on blood sugars and it looks like it will need to become a habit of an hour daily.

I’m not sure how sustainable Keto is longer term but I’m going to keep it up to lose weight to a healthy BMI and build muscle through exercise to improve my insulin sensitivity. I have already lost 2kg in the past 2 weeks so at least now I’m moving in the right direction!

Thank you again for your encouragement!

Personally, I don't strive for keto, but some days will be keto and other days straightforward low carb. I've been eating this way by and large since my diagnosis in late 2013.

I'm slim well, fit, don't take any diabetes meds, and indeed all I take is a dose of levothyroxine I'm told wouldn't usually impact a mouse! My A1c at diagnosis was 73, but never over 37 since, with my last one, in March was 30. It just becomes a habit.

There are a number of folks on the forum who have been at least low carb for quite some years, ad sustain it because they are well.

Stick with it Julie. You seem to be doing really well, and feeling the better for it.

julie2615

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I don't strive for keto, but some days will be keto and other days straightforward low carb. I've been eating this way by and large since my diagnosis in late 2013.

I'm slim well, fit, don't take any diabetes meds, and indeed all I take is a dose of levothyroxine I'm told wouldn't usually impact a mouse! My A1c at diagnosis was 73, but never over 37 since, with my last one, in March was 30. It just becomes a habit.

There are a number of folks on the forum who have been at least low carb for quite some years, ad sustain it because they are well.

Stick with it Julie. You seem to be doing really well, and feeling the better for it.

That’s really inspiring to hear you have sustained a low carb lifestyle for 5 years now and doing so well with your A1C!

Hoping to follow in your footsteps and live a healthier lifestyle feeling better.

Thanks so much and enjoy your weekend!

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can I just ask you a question when you say low carb do you include any bread or potatoes I'm on humilyn 3 breakfast and evening meal and thinking of asking my nurse to change to injecting with food

julie2615

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi farrowlily,

Low carb excludes all bread, pasta, potatoes as this breaks down into glucose. I generally only eat a protein and get my carbs from green vegetables.