Help! Type 1 Struggling With Glucose

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 for 27 years and for the past two weeks I have had hyperglycaemia everyday. This is not normal for me whatsoever. I've had glucose in the 20s eveyrday and am struggling to get it down. Every time I eat they skyrocket. I had 15g of carb and high protein for breakfast I tested an hour ago and I was 21. I am firefighting and it is exhausting.

I've altered pump settings, have spoken at length to my diabetes nurse. I have managed to stablise over night blood glucose by significantly upping my basal doses. But the days are a total mess. It makes no difference what I eat they just want to jump and stay high. I had half a jacket potato with cheese and some tomato for lunch yesterday and I was 19 after finishing I had started at 7.2 and rather than come down they continued to go up. I have increased the amount of insulin to carb ratio but the increases are ridiculous and I cannot help but think there must be something else going on.

Extra info 38yo female, omnipod pump, libre user, reasonable diet, relatively active, overweight.

Any input to help with resolution, would be most welcome.

Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Loulou52 I know how frustrating this is.. Firstly have you got fresh insulin ? Check your current novorapid and if it's the same batch get a fresh order in, it may of gone off. Are you using fresh sites for your sets ? Any lumps ? Also any sign of infection, dental or physical ?

It may simply be that your ratios need adjusting during the day, have you tried doing any basal fasting tests ? http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Try not to get too frustrated as it won't help and keep your levels raised with the stress. I also tend to find it easier to correct with a pen too instead of the pump when I experience an event like this, if you're not working and can regularly check your levels, I tend to go about 20% more above 12mmol/l, then 50% more when above 15mmol/l, it helps to check every hour and it's easier to watch on the libre, but getting to the bottom of what the cause is will help determine if you need to adjust basal ratios or not. Good luck :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Firstly have you got fresh insulin ? Check your current novorapid and if it's the same batch get a fresh order in, it may of gone off.
Could it also be possible that the Omnipod isn't quite working as intended - I've never had a pump so don't know what could go wrong them - but anything electronic/mechanical can malfunction* (and normally does at the most inconvenient time). Though yes I'd try with new insulin first.

*This comment comes from the person who got locked out of their house last weekend despite having the key with them at time.

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've changed insulin batches, swapped pods, superbolosed using a syringe ( wow how old school am I!) I just don't understand. I have just tested again using two different monitors and they are 26.5mmol. I've had more highs this fortnight than in the whole 27years of diabetes. I am starting to get very frustrated and worried indeed. I expect changes to insulin requirements over time but this has been a huge very sudden increase and still isn't fixed!!

Thanks for your imput everyone. Hopefully this will be sorted.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rokaab Pumps have alarms if there is an issue, however i'm not familiar with the Omnipod, so perhaps a question for the manufacturer ?

@Loulou52 Definitely try the basal fasting but only if your levels are below 13mmol/l at the start, if you haven't tried fasting yet already. I know recently i've had to increase my basal ratios with the weather cooling down.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 for 27 years and for the past two weeks I have had hyperglycaemia everyday. This is not normal for me whatsoever. I've had glucose in the 20s eveyrday and am struggling to get it down. Every time I eat they skyrocket. I had 15g of carb and high protein for breakfast I tested an hour ago and I was 21. I am firefighting and it is exhausting.

I've altered pump settings, have spoken at length to my diabetes nurse. I have managed to stablise over night blood glucose by significantly upping my basal doses. But the days are a total mess. It makes no difference what I eat they just want to jump and stay high. I had half a jacket potato with cheese and some tomato for lunch yesterday and I was 19 after finishing I had started at 7.2 and rather than come down they continued to go up. I have increased the amount of insulin to carb ratio but the increases are ridiculous and I cannot help but think there must be something else going on.

Extra info 38yo female, omnipod pump, libre user, reasonable diet, relatively active, overweight.

Thanks

Hi this has happened to me on various occasions ... it feels like living in hell .. no matter what you do it doesn’t work... so I fee for you..
Have you tried changing your set? I imagine you have .. try changing it again in a completely different area ... I imagine you’ve done this too .. generally we’ve tried everything in the book before we ask for help book just in case change again ...what about insulin? Could you get a new supply from your doctor? Just in case it’s gone bad for some reason or is from a faulty batch.
Perhaps it’s to do with hormones.Things to consider perhaps if you have changed or been put in a contraceptive pill, or perhaps starting the peri menopause, or something else going on hormonally ...
Or perhaps you have an infection? If I were you I’d go to my doctor and ask for a full blood and urine check up.
Sometimes it just falls back into place on its own after you have beaten yourself up trying to control it ... Diabetes is just so tough when it decides to do what it wants .. no matter what you do..
I hope you manage to get it under control... I had a major problem with it in July nothing I could do worked and then as if by magic it started responding to insulin again ... Go figure as they say!

Good luck!
Let us know how you get on

D

Deleted Account

The previous responses have covered most of my thoughts.
My only additional thought is whether you are unwell or stress (in addition to the BG problems). Both of these can push up your BG.
I have found my BG rises 2 or 3 days before I notice I have a cold. I have always assumed this is due to my body trying its best to fight off the nasty virus.

If you have any other underlying conditions, it may be worth having these checked out to ensure they have not got worse and the reason for your high BG is that your body is releasing glucose to fight these.

Good luck.

Reactions: gemma_T1

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Also, which insulin are you using, and has it changed recently?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks
I don't have much to add to the above, I'm afraid, but have you tried intramuscular injection via syringe? The deltoid muscle is the best to go for.

You have my sympathy, if nothing else. I've had days like that in the past.