What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Geoffno6

Went to a barbecue this pm and as we left Mrs No6 announced ‘I’ve made you some oopsie bread’ Not what I was expecting!!
It was quite nice with a burger and mayo’ between 2 pieces.
Better BGs today mainly 6s and 7s even an hour after eating but I still had my few hours in the 9s late morning after just keto coconut porridge for breakfast. The same porridge this evening had no effect my BGs staying in the 7s , so confusing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
D. Ah , an evening of experiments. Campari and soda followed by fish n chips. Considering I didn't like fish n chips pre diabetes This Was quite a turnaround as it was delicious. Fish was cod loin which I cut into thick chunks. Coating was more or less the coating for The sesame chicken - almond flour, flaxseed, parmesan, parsley and sesame seeds (not as much sesame seeds as the chicken. Beaten egg with a little water. Dip the fish in egg then coat in The crumb. Fried in a mix of flora and olive oil. About 5 mins turning as required. Chips were aubergine. Cut circles then cut into chips used a mix of almond flour, flaxseed,parmesan, paprika , salt and pepper. Put the crumb mix in a plastic bag. Beat and egg white, dip the chips then put in the bag with the crumb and shake. Put the chips on oiled greaseproof on a baking sheet , drizzle some oil on them and oven bake for about 20 mins turning every so often until they are browned.
@maglil55 You seem to be the doyen of faux batter so thanks for some ideas as that is definitely on my list of textures and tastes this woe can't satisfy. In a spirit of sharing, although you may already know the recipe, this is one of maybe 3 LC ones that properly work form me until I spend time with Mrs P adapting the Hemsley's books. http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/pablos-chicken/
I very much disliked Kentucky yuckly but some of my family liked it so I have been virtually force fed the stuff before. This is IMHO a whole league better but I totally buy into the whole Hemsley ethos. Also, I must try the Morrisons rollitos before I properly clean up my act.
@Geoffno6 Expect the confusing and downright contradictory for some time, if not for ever, once you accept that as part of diabetes it all makes sense:angelic:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to a barbecue this pm and as we left Mrs No6 announced ‘I’ve made you some oopsie bread’ Not what I was expecting!!
It was quite nice with a burger and mayo’ between 2 pieces.
Better BGs today mainly 6s and 7s even an hour after eating but I still had my few hours in the 9s late morning after just keto coconut porridge for breakfast. The same porridge this evening had no effect my BGs staying in the 7s , so confusing.

What a star Mrs No6 is! I make Oopsie bread quite often and agree with you its quite a good ‘carrier’. The rest of the family like it too, my grandchildren recently polished off 2 each with peanut butter.

I agree with @ianpspurs it is confusing, but it looks like your numbers are gradually coming down. The mornings are always the highest in my experience and mid to late morning readings are often higher than fbg.
Like you I find I can eat the same thing but have different post prandial readings depending on the time of day Ive eaten it. Diabetes is never boring!

Reactions: Geoffno6

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 You seem to be the doyen of faux batter so thanks for some ideas as that is definitely on my list of textures and tastes this woe can't satisfy. In a spirit of sharing, although you may already know the recipe, this is one of maybe 3 LC ones that properly work form me until I spend time with Mrs P adapting the Hemsley's books. http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/pablos-chicken/
I very much disliked Kentucky yuckly but some of my family liked it so I have been virtually force fed the stuff before. This is IMHO a whole league better but I totally buy into the whole Hemsley ethos. Also, I must try the Morrisons rollitos before I properly clean up my act.
@Geoffno6 Expect the confusing and downright contradictory for some time, if not for ever, once you accept that as part of diabetes it all makes sense:angelic:
I've experimented for a while to get the right crispy coatings but as you've probably noticed they do vary slightly. It's not that I particularly like crispy coatings but, like you, have a family that does so I'm trying to avoid cooking separate meals. I was quite surprised though that I really enjoyed the fish n chips. Also learned something new with that touch of curry in the tartare sauce.
The chicken recipe is another variation on a similar theme. Again though I'd add some parmesan as it does seem to add something to the crumb.
The Morrison's rollitos are really nice. I could make them very easily but sometimes you just want that grab n go.
The crumble definitely needs more work. My hope with adding inulin was that it would caramelise and add crunch. Tasted good though.
My trouble is I work mostly by sight so I couldn't say what quantity I use (which would be a bit of a pain if I got a really good combination). For the fishy crumb all I know was flaxseed and parmesan were about the same, there was more almond flour and sesame seeds about a tablespoon. I just taste and add things.
Must go back to the pork scratching/parmesan combo to see which works best.

Reactions: Goonergal
M

Moggely

B. Bacon and eggs and half an avocado and matcha tea. L. One slice of almond bread with butter and matcha tea. Bread made with almond flour and more cake like then anything, but nice. D. Meat balls with cabbage with lots of butter and matcha tea. sf jelly and double cream. Trying to up the fats as the weight is coming off again and i don't really need to lose it.:rolleyes:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Such a busy day yesterday, lots of visitors, including a new baby that would only settle when I held her.
B: Greek yogurt and raspberries
L: walnut scone with decaff coffee and cream
D: Roast pork lots of crunchy crackling, leaks, sprouts, small piece of parsnip, 2 baby carrots.
Drank lots of water, and went mad with a tonic water, without the gin.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Pipp, post: 1863267, member: 100904"including a new baby that would only settle when I held her.
.[/QUOTE]

@Pipp settling the baby - That’s very satisfying!
Never really happened to me - even my own babies had a tendency to bawl for the first 3 months whoever held them.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone on another thread recommended Aldi frozen halloumi chips so I made a foray into Aldi to check them out today, sadly the designated area was completely empty and there was a sign saying ‘limited to 2 bags per person’ I reckon the whole of Cornwall must have read that thread! They must be pretty good though, has anyone here tried them?

Another mizzly day weatherwise but we got a few jobs done around the house

B: Smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado with coffee and cream.

L: Ham salad with leaves, flaxseeds and walnuts, homemade coleslaw and avocado. Then a spoonful of clotted cream with a few blackberries.

MAS: 2 seedy crispbreads with almond butter (I bought Aldi almond butter - only 4.4g carbs/100g as opposed to 6.5 for the Meridian brand)

D: will be kobi keema ( mince and cabbage curry) and a glass of red.

@maglil55 your post yesterday gave me a hankering for fish n chips - that’s on my menu for tomorrow.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone had a good day. Today I confirmed that I really prefer spending most of my time totally alone. On my morning walk a lady joined me and chatted - I was polite and chatted but felt very miffed, Later Mrs P took MIL to doctor while I cut lawns for an hour - no one about literally for miles - happy as a pig in watsit. Later I will exercise in my gym locked away watching sport - totally happy! MIL, 88 , has atrial fibrillation but more worryingly doctor said don't you remember the mini stroke you had in 2011 - she couldn't remember and Mrs P had never heard that before.:arghh:
Menu:
Pre Breakfast and Breakfast: 2 pints Lemon green tea pre; 70 mins Nordic walk; 3 pints tea with h/m almond milk
Mid morning snack: None - After the Nordic walk it became too late for brekkie or snack IMHO - this needs looking at -
Lunch: Avocado and Mackerel salad; (Around 13.00 hrs as first meal probably doesn’t work for me) That meal, at that time, has become my “happy place” most days; 1 hr lawn mowing
Afternoon snack:Flaxseed flapjack; Soya milk latte with vanilla syrup (0.0) from Mrs P’s beloved bean to cup toy
Evening meal Chicken thighs 2; broccoli rice; courgette, onion, garlic tomato, chicken stock and basil sauce 40 mins ex bike; Should really test that but don't want to spoil the pleasure of my favourite sauce - the tomatoes are bottled from last year. Did test and was 5 :)
Edit: Just calculated the carb content of a sauce that would taste as I want it I think it would be 25+ gms carb (8 cloves garlic; 150 gms+ onions and 250+ gms tomatoes;)

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone, last calm day at work before an intense 3 weeks of training for 70+ staff commences tomorrow!
B strawberry, raspberry and peanut butter smoothie
L pork loin slices wrapped around shredded mozzarella, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, peppers and cucumber, small pack of pork scratchings
MAS half a PhD smart bar
D 2 chilli beef kebabs, 2 iceberg leaves filled with tomato, cucumber, gherkin, stilton and mayo followed by zucchini cake and cream

Attachments

• EE2D88F6-728A-44AF-ABA6-DD0FD9FBD6D8.jpeg
    EE2D88F6-728A-44AF-ABA6-DD0FD9FBD6D8.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 928A2690-26C0-4893-8021-1DE8ED76FD03.jpeg
    928A2690-26C0-4893-8021-1DE8ED76FD03.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 316

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just added the Hemsley link to booklet thank you it looks good

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.7 FBG 5.6. After enjoying cooking yesterday I'm back to a can't be bothered day. Suspect it is because I spent the whole morning running about with son and DIL. No 2 grandson happy to be back in school. In fact he was asking yesterday was it time for school.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Just had time to make bacon rolls for the gardeners who were doing major haircuts on the shrubs before racing out again.
L. Much later the last 3 Morrison's rollitos and 1/2 Mattesons chicken sausage.
D. After much thought I made one of the Cheesy, Eggy corned beef thingies. The joy with this is it doesn't take long and it's tasty. For those of you not familiar with this here's my Mexicanised version. (@Brunneria started it and there has been a few versions).
Slice of whatever pepper you have (I used red today) , onion (I used a jumbo spring onion). Chop finely and soften in a mini frying pan.
Add a few drops of hot sauce then some chopped chorizo. Cut about 4 mini plum tomatoes into quarters then add to the pan to soften. Make sure it doesn't burn.
Get 2 slices of corned beef and crumble into the pan. Let it soften.
Make a well in the centre of the mix and crack an egg into it. Keep on the hob until the egg white starts to cook.
Transfer to a hot grill for as long as you want your egg cooked (I like mine still runny). Before it is cooked fully take out from the grill, add a dash of cream, sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the grill until bubbling and delicious. Sprinkle of parsley and serve.

There's a photo of it somewhere on this thread.
Also flung together raspberry chia pudding which I'll have with a few raspberries.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower, broccoli and cucumber salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with mixed veggies and carrot and swede mash followed by strawberries, jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 5.7 FBG 5.6. After enjoying cooking yesterday I'm back to a can't be bothered day. Suspect it is because I spent the whole morning running about with son and DIL. No 2 grandson happy to be back in school. In fact he was asking yesterday was it time for school.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Just had time to make bacon rolls for the gardeners who were doing major haircuts on the shrubs before racing out again.
L. Much later the last 3 Morrison's rollitos and 1/2 Mattesons chicken sausage.
D. After much thought I made one of the Cheesy, Eggy corned beef thingies. The joy with this is it doesn't take long and it's tasty. For those of you not familiar with this here's my Mexicanised version. (@Brunneria started it and there has been a few versions).
Slice of whatever pepper you have (I used red today) , onion (I used a jumbo spring onion). Chop finely and soften in a mini frying pan.
Add a few drops of hot sauce then some chopped chorizo. Cut about 4 mini plum tomatoes into quarters then add to the pan to soften. Make sure it doesn't burn.
Get 2 slices of corned beef and crumble into the pan. Let it soften.
Make a well in the centre of the mix and crack an egg into it. Keep on the hob until the egg white starts to cook.
Transfer to a hot grill for as long as you want your egg cooked (I like mine still runny). Before it is cooked fully take out from the grill, add a dash of cream, sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the grill until bubbling and delicious. Sprinkle of parsley and serve.

There's a photo of it somewhere on this thread.
Also flung together raspberry chia pudding which I'll have with a few raspberries.
As this is so popular thanks for reminding us of this recipe. I’ll look to see if I can put in booklet if can find space there may be with a bit of jigging around on the eggs pages- with a credit to both you and Brunneria

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower, broccoli and cucumber salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken chasseur with mixed veggies and carrot and swede mash followed by strawberries, jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Going to see if can squeeze a link to this fave porridge recipe either on the breakfast page or the links page