Type 2 Help Please

DazzytUK

Hi

I had been feeling unwell last year from June onwards, tiredness, feeling off balance and unsteady on my feet with regular headaches and high blood pressure, the symptoms kept coming and going apart from the off balance feeling, 8 months later after another blood pressure check up did my GP checked all my bloods and sent me for a Glucose test. I have Type 2 diabetes and have been instructed to diet and increase my exercise.
My Q's are..

I have read about thirst, urination and extreme tiredness symptoms classic signs of diabetes type 2, these did not apply to me (apart form some tiredness)..so

Not feeling myself
Off balance feeling/unsteady on my feet
light headed feelings/heavy headed feelings
Headaches/High blood pressure

Are these common symptoms?

Why do I get these symptoms? Nobody has told me what my problem really is?

Will my diet change improve them?
Will exercise and weight loss improve them?
How long does it take to start to feel ok again?

Please help.

Thank you.

Daz

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Dazzy and welcome to the forum :) I'm sorry you have not been feeling well and hopefully some members will be able to help you but I think you should go back to your GP for another checkup and tell him how you feel. It may not have anything to do with your diabetes. Not everyone has the classic symptoms of diabetes either - I didn't. If you can manage your diabetes well you could feel better so this advice written by the Forum Monitors might help you - I think it answers your questions. Have you been testing? What are your levels like?

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS.

Postby sugarless sue » 02 Oct 2010, 17:49
Here is the advice that Ken and I, as Forum Monitors, usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

For more information on CARBOHYDRATE see here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20306

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!

For TIPS FOR STRIPS see here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do at least 30 minutes moderate exercise a day, it can be split into 10 min sessions to start with. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Finally a few QUESTIONS TO ASK AT DIABETES CLINIC.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17091

Sue/Ken.

zhaith

Hi,

I had a few of your symptons probably for a few years before I was diagnosed, the off balance part was fairly irregular but always came with a light headedness and a kind of pounding sensation in my head ( best i can describe) but at times it got so bad i had to hold on to things for a couple of minutes just so I didn't fall over. My blood pressure has always been a little high before mainly due to being a tad overweight. But I also had the classice thirst/urination as well.

Good news is that since diagnosis things have got a lot better, so i'm guessing it was due to prolonged periods of high glucose levels I was diagnosed at 22.4 if i remember rightly, diet and exercise will make a big difference to blood sugar levels. i proably have only had one dizzy spell in the last year and that was after a few stressful long days at work, and eating too much carbs as well.

Out of interest what are your readings like?

DazzytUK

oh..

I have not been told too much really? Had to see a diet nurse last week, she told me about food types and what to eat as well as losing weight, next week eye test then after that feet check up.

I have been given a 3 month 'sort myself out period' diet exercise and weight loss, then i get tested again? i have no medication or testing kit? my glucose test was..after fasting 6.2 in the morning had a sugar drink.waited 2 hours..then it was 11.2, that is all I know

DAz

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
You need to get yourself a testing kit. Maybe your DN can give you one, otherwise you might be able to get one from the manufacturers for free if you tell them you are going to do a lot of testing with their strips (8 times a day) or as a last resort buy one yourself. For help with getting strips prescribed read the link Tips for Strips which is included in the Basic Information I posted for you. They might, unfortunately, tell you not to test but I can tell you that it is very important to test. When you can see what your levels are you can work out what you can eat and what you can't. Once you've got that worked out you can test a bit less. You may not need medication as many people don't.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the Forum, Daz.

You need to go back to your Doctor armed with questions.

The symptoms you have could be stress related but they can also be many other things, you need to get a full blood test done to discount other conditions, just because you have Diabetes does not, unfortunately mean that you don't have other conditions ! Best to get them checked and eliminated from the list.

Are you on any other medications ? Your symptoms could also be side effects of taking medication.

Write yourself a list of questions to ask the Doctor and see if you can get them all answered.

Dobbs

hi DazzytUK,
I was diagnosed about two and a half years ago, and thinking back now I realise I felt generally pretty unwell before that as I'd been running unaware with high blood sugars for several years probably.
Just for comparison, I personally had problems with thirst, relatively frequent loo visits, high blood pressure, and pains in my feet, but no extreme tiredness or headaches. I think we all get a slightly different "cocktail" of symptoms, and, as somebody said, not all problems are diabetes-related! Lowering your blood sugars is absolutely the best way to go, and for this a modification of diet is essential, perhaps medication as well. You also really need to get a self-testing meter if you haven't already - it makes the world of difference and lets you take control.
When my blood sugars came down I didn't feel great right away - certain things (e.g. the pains in my feet) got worse, temporarily, and weird new problems (eg dizziness) came and went. But after a year or so of much better blood sugars I do indeed feel in much better shape and feel my health is fairly stable again. Got to keep testing, though.
best wishes to you!

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Daz,

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I was experiencing for a very long time - eventually the thirst/frequent urination made me suspect diabetes. I went to the doc regularly for high BP, and even though I mentioned these symptoms and was sent for a glucose tolerance test (three times in a year with readings of 7.1 each time) he still didn't say anything about diabetes. Eventually I went for a regular prescription update for the high BP and my regular doc was away so saw a locum - she looked at the numbers and said I was pre-diabetic and sent me to a clinic where they said that because of my consistently high numbers and how high the numbers were, they would diagnose full blown T2 and not "just" pre-diabetes.

I now find that any odd "symptom" I have, I immediately suspect that it is diabetes related and come on the forum to check what others are experiencing :? As I was only diagnosed a few months ago I am still trying the diet/exercise route with no meds. I have lost a bit of weight (not nearly enough) but my regular testing doesn't really show much improvement. I will be going back to the doc in early May and suspect that I may need to go on metformin - but we will see what he has to say.

What changes have you made to your diet so far and are you seeing any improvement? I'm always looking for good news stories to keep my spirits up!

DazzytUK

Hi CeeCee

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago.

After being told by the practice nurse i could have problems with my eyes, feet, organs...etc and that it would be hard to keep to a strict diet..I thought this person is so negative and is not giving me anything positive to start with! So 3 weeks ago I changed a few things to see if I could help myself.
After a review of my lifestyle I was so shocked.. missing meals, eating wrong stuff, eating late at night, binge eating when hungry...when I look back at it I was a mess. Working long hours with very little exercise, 16st 13lbs!! headaches, tired, dizzy, weak...arrgh! It is now ME that has to sort this out and my only worry is will my efforts work? I like to see quick results but I think if I have been ill for 8 months then this will take months to turn around?

My changes so far are:

1. No coffee or Tea only green tea
2 Lots of water
3 B/fast, Lunch, Dinner and a fruit snack between each meal
4 NO take-a-ways
5 NO alcohol (2 Drinks only on a Saturday night)
6 No Sweets, Pies, Ready meals etc etc
7 Everything cooked by me, prepared by me
8. NO cheese or bad fats
9. Oats, Veg, Fruit, Fish in fact everything fresh and not pre packed

I thought this would be hard, and did not understand how serious this could be..its my life so it is serious! I have been very unhappy for months now with this and now hope i can get better over time.

My main vice was Saturday night beer and take-a-way so now I make the take-a-way..homemade curry, chinese etc

I have been feeling a tad better over the past 3 weeks, lost 8lbs!!! no headaches! but have been eating well still weakish and feeling of off balance? but lets see if time will help. Rang the doctor yesterday and told him I still feel poopy! he said exercise is so important to sorting this out so it all starts today..the hard part!

...any good?

...anyone got any advice please?

DAz

DazzytUK

How Long?..

How long does it usually take to start feeling better with a change of diet, increased exercise and weight loss? 3 weeks in and still feeling rubbish!

DAz

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: How Long?..

Depends how long you were out of control in the first place. Just ride it out, mate - it will get better, and you'll be glad when it does.

What are you eating?

alaska

Re: How Long?..

Hi Daz

Having read your other posts it looks like you're making some good decisions as to cutting out certain things.

My question would be, what are your sugar levels like?

Weakness and tiredness could be a result of high blood glucose level still. If you feel pretty dreadful, I'd be inclined to say it may be worth the investment to buy a blood glucose monitor. If you decide to do this, it's worth picking a meter that has relatively cheap test strips. The Abbott meter test strips tend not to be quite so expensive.

Ed

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
DazzytUK said:
Hi CeeCee

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago.
My changes so far are:

3 B/fast, Lunch, Dinner and a fruit snack between each meal
9. Oats, Veg, Fruit, Fish in fact everything fresh and not pre packed

Hi Daz, just a couple of quick observations. What are you eating for B/fast, Lunch and Diner? A snack of fruit between meals might be keeping your blood glucose levels higher than they could be, it may be better to have a small piece of fruit with your Lunch and Diner.

Many people find that Oats are a no no as they are very hight in carbs, although a lot do eat porridge often with cinnamon sprinkled on top and get away with it.

Do you test before and 2 hours after eating? Unless you do this you have no way of knowing how your food is affecting your blood glucose levels.

Well done on your progress so far :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you reduce Carbohydrate in your diet this will allow your beta cells in the pancreas to rest a bit because it will not have to produce as much Insulin to cope with the Carbohydrate. Your blood sugar levels should therefore go down as you are not eating so much Carbohydrate that turns into glucose.

You should also start to lose some weight and it is the loss of weight that helps bring down your Insulin resistance and let your own natural Insulin work better.

The exercise kick starts your metabolism to work harder and burn off excess body fat because you are no longer feeding your body on an excess of Carbohydrate.

DazzytUK

Is it a waiting game..?

4 weeks into the diet and going well (12 lbs dropped so far), weight loss is happening and exercise is slowly on the increase, target is another 2 stone to drop in the coming months..this will take me to 14 stone, 13 stone is my ideal weight.
Still feeling tired, lethargic/weak and wobbly daily...will this improve in time? should I ask for medication? any advice please.

DAz

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
More importantly.....what are your daily Bg levels like ? If they are good and you are losing weight as you say then why go onto medication ? If you want to ....that's your choice.

Most of us would love to be off medications and still achieve good control.......for some of us that is un-achievable !

As your Bg levels improve then you will begin to feel better....as to how long it takes, who knows........we are all individual and there is no set timescale for anything.

DazzytUK

Thank you

..I have not been told to monitor or check anything? Bg? What is this? All I have been told is to diet and exercise for 3 months then go for another check up?

DAz

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If you read the information that Sue and I give out to the newly diagnosed you will see what WE recommend you do. It is sometimes at variance with what your HCP's will tell you to do. We think it is better to follow our basic advice so that you can monitor what happens when you eat certain foods.

The only reason they tell you NOT to monitor anything is because of costs and also they think we are all so weak we will get paranoid....... :roll:

Bg means blood glucose.

Diet and exercise is good advice but if the diet isn't exactly what YOU need to follow then it MAY increase your Bg levels not decrease them. Testing is the only way to know whether it is high or low.
Losing weight will improve things.....but it isn't all you need to be doing........