Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler I hope the Gabapentin will work, I've been on it nearly 3 weeks but not much improvement. My GP has only referred me to physio not to the hospital yet.

Could be a question of dosage. Without Gaba in between caudal injections my life would not be worth living.
Physio should help but as far as I remember there are two possible sites that can cause sciatic pain. If it is in the area of the gluts then physio will help somewhat. Have you had a MRI scan in connection with this?

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
@dogslife I am sorry to hear things haven't got better for you. You sound very busy but I think that can be good to keep you moving and take your mind off the pain. I have found driving really aggravates it and an ice pack to numb the pain works for me. My GP told me Gabapentin helps nerve pain but takes a few weeks to start working. Im having 2 days off work to rest up a bit and not drive anywhere to see if it helps. Best wishes to you
Rest does help as long as you don't become too sedentary as that can make things worse . It's hard to get the balance right sometimes. Best wishes
.:)

welsheagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really.....
Rest does help as long as you don't become too sedentary as that can make things worse . It's hard to get the balance right sometimes. Best wishes
.:)
The 2 days rest didn't help at all, I felt stiffer and in more pain. I carried on with all the medication and persevered with the co-codamol despite some initial tummy upset. Pleased to say that something has worked because I went in to work today and the pain has been greatly reduced. My MRI showed disc protrusion at L5/S1 (I was referred through my chiropractor)

Reactions: dogslife

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Glad to hear that you are getting some relief welsheagle. I had a day off from walking today and a chance to sit in my recliner chair with my feet up and found that helped to take the pressure off my spine a little. My MRI scan result was similar to yours. I was told that herniated discs sometimes right themselves but after 14 months mine doesn't seem to be showing any sign of doing so!:arghh: I hope you have better luck with yours.:)

AJ1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking Gabapentin for nearly eight years because of chronic nerve pain which has helped with the near pain but not my other pain from Fibromyalgia and Spina Bifida Occulta. My SBO has effected my nerves that control the bowel and bladder. I am a wheelchair user. I slowly increased the Gabapentin over a space of four or five weeks. I use to be 2100 spaced out over three doses. I spaced them out every seven hours. I am restricted on what pain medication I can take because of having allergic reaction must decent pain killers. I cant take codeine as it converts in morphine and I'm also now allergic to Tramadol so there isn't a lot I can take.