Given Bolus Instead Of Basal!

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not long had a hypo (about 8pm) so a bit woolly still. Not paying attention and I've just given myself 10 units of bolus instead of basal. What to do? Eat and drink lots if water?

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
How many carbs would you normally eat for 10 units of bolus in the afternoon/evening? Might be time to treat yourself to some ice cream or chocolate. Not sure why you would drink lots of water?

Reactions: gemma_T1 and 4mum_

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Not long had a hypo (about 8pm) so a bit woolly still. Not paying attention and I've just given myself 10 units of bolus instead of basal. What to do? Eat and drink lots if water?

Do you have any sugary drinks available? Normal coke, OJ, glucojuice? You may need to replace glucose quickly and liquids are faster acting.

What's your normal bolus ratio?

D

Deleted Account

I agree with the above that you need to consume carbs to match your bolus injection.
It maybe obvious (sorry if you have already done this) but you may be thinking about your mistake so I will mention this just in case, don’t forget to take your basal.
And don’t beat yourself up about it: you are definitely not the first.

Reactions: Dodo and 4mum_

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did take my basal after. I had my Novorapid still in my hand when I realised. I'm not beating myself up just need to sort it lol. I'm 56 and 15 months in so still learning!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to have 1u to 10g
And you injected 10 units, so you should eat 100 grams of carbs. I wouldn't just take the quick ones like orange juice or sweets/sugar tabs, but some longer lasting like bread as well, just like a very carby meal. And I wouldn't go to sleep too soon as I would want to keep checking.

edit: Please let us know how you've been faring during the night!

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And you injected 10 units, so you should eat 100 grams of carbs. I wouldn't just take the quick ones like orange juice or sweets/sugar tabs, but some longer lasting like bread as well, just like a very carby meal. And I wouldn't go to sleep too soon as I would want to keep checking.

edit: Please let us know how you've been faring during the night!
I've just managed two large pitta breads and I'm going to have a banana and then work out what else. Does that sound on the right track? I've set some alarms for the next few hours.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just managed two large pitta breads and I'm going to have a banana and then work out what else. Does that sound on the right track? I've set some alarms for the next few hours.
Definitely sounds like the right track, especially with the alarms! Keep juice, coke or glucotabs or such next to your bed to be safe!

Reactions: kitedoc

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Definitely sounds like the right track, especially with the alarms! Keep juice, coke or glucotabs or such next to your bed to be safe!
I keep everything with me in a bag, everywhere I go. I keep a stash of stuff in a drawer upstairs too. I'm going to check about 12 and maybe stay up and check at 1am before bed. Then perhaps set more alarms.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @4mum_ yep been there got the t-shirt a couple of times for this one.. You should get an idea at 12 as to where your headed, danger time is 3am which is when your bg levels are at their lowest during the night, once you've done a 3am check and your safe then you should be fine to sleep through till morning, take care, hope your late night snacking has done the trick.

Reactions: Dodo and 4mum_

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @4mum_ yep been there got the t-shirt a couple of times for this one.. You should get an idea at 12 as to where your headed, danger time is 3am which is when your bg levels are at their lowest during the night, once you've done a 3am check and your safe then you should be fine to sleep through till morning, take care, hope your late night snacking has done the trick.
So do you reckon hourly checks? I was 13.5 when I checked right before I did it so not too low to begin with.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So do you reckon hourly checks? I was 13.5 when I checked right before I did it so not too low to begin with.
It's hard to give exact advice on something like this. No-one wants to advice you you are safe to just go to sleep. What about hourly (or more often should you feel funny) until you feel safe and then decide again? I like the 13.5 to start with by the way, it gives you some leeway.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Personally if it were me and I had eaten the matched amount of carbs then I'd check again at 1am, and again at 3am.

Novorapid lasts up to 4 hours, so if you took your bolus at 8 then it should be out of your system by 12, 1am is a safety check and 3am is to really make sure your ok.

Reactions: kitedoc and 4mum_

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took it at 10pm. My BG was 13.5. Just checked and it's 11.1. Alarm set for 1am, I'll set another alarm for 2am.
I think you are kinda out of the danger zone. It has been 2 hours but still.. keep checking and PLEASE keep us updated.

Reactions: kitedoc and 4mum_

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's only 2 hours so not out of danger yet @alphabeta - novorapid lasts up to 4 hours, you would be out of the woods by 2am.

Sounds like you have a good plan there, let us know how you get on @4mum_

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's only 2 hours so not out of danger yet @alphabeta - novorapid lasts up to 4 hours, you would be out of the woods by 2am.

Sounds like you have a good plan there, let us know how you get on @4mum_
Well it really depends on individuals but from my personal experience it lasts for 3 or 3.5 as maximum. Again we are all different.