How Much Cinnamon Is Good ?

Username:

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I had big trouble posting this message. Took me over half an hr. Apparently this forum wants me to break interweb etiquette and no post the link to a source because someone has decided that a link to a file in the diabetes.co.uk domain must be spam ! Go figure ! o_O
-----------------------------------

In the image below also cinnamon is being listed

superfoods.png

Source (was forced to cripple the link, sorry): diabetes.co.uk/assets/non-dcuk-responsive/superfoods.png

Just sprinkle some over my coffee once a day ? Eat a stick a day ? How much one needs to be effective ?

Any idea ?

Thanks

Duncan

Last edited:
M

Moggely

Hi Duncan I have only just started taking cinnamon capsules. 2 a day. I get it from the health store and does cost a bit. It must be the Ceylon cinnamon not the Cassie one as it can be toxic if used in large amounts. It's too early to see any difference as only been 3 days but will let you know how i go. I think someone else takes it also. All that you have posted is supposed to be good but i haven't tried them. Almonds yes and blue berries yes. Bitter lemon i have heard of but others may no more about them. Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had big trouble posting this message. Took me over half an hr. Apparently this forum wants me to break interweb etiquette and no post the link to a source because someone has decided that a link to a file in the diabetes.co.uk domain must be spam ! Go figure ! o_O
-----------------------------------

In the image below also cinnamon is being listed

superfoods.png

Source (was forced to cripple the link, sorry): diabetes.co.uk/assets/non-dcuk-responsive/superfoods.png

Just sprinkle some over my coffee once a day ? Eat a stick a day ? How much one needs to be effective ?

Any idea ?

Thanks

Duncan
No idea.
I posted a similiar question after a newspaper stated supplements prevent type2.
I'd never heard of cinnamon being an asset.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Bitter lemon with quinine in it has been useful in my past. Pre diagnosis but now agitates my GERD.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I use almonds most days to keep to a low carb diet.
Only low carb in small measures thou.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve managed with Cinnamon tablets, the occasional bitter melon capsule and I’ve just got some Apple cider vinegar but it tastes so repulsive I only take it if I’ve had a naughty high carb meal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Add oil and herbs to the apple cider vinegar and use it on salads.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe you have to make three posts before you can start using links, to help prevent spam.
The chart shows quinoa as low carb but I don't think it is.

Username:

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I believe you have to make three posts before you can start using links, to help prevent spam.
The chart shows quinoa as low carb but I don't think it is.

The chart is from diabetes.co.uk , so I assume it is correct.

Duncan

Username:

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I just bought these cinnamon capsules.

solgar.com/SolgarProducts/FP-Cinnamon-Vegetable-Capsules.htm
solgar.nl/producten/kruiden-full-potency/cinnamon/

877_T1_W275_H.jpeg

The website reads: ........ SUGGESTED USE: As a dietary supplement for adults, take one (1) vegetable capsule daily, preferably with a meal or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.......

At the moment I am OFF all medication (metformen and insuline) and my next H1ABCD test is pushed back till 6 months, not 3. So 1 a day sounds a bit much.

I was thinking maybe 1 every 2 days ?

Or does too much cinnamon not hurt ?

What do you all think ?

Duncan

M

Moggely

I don't think 1a day is to much . I take 2 capsules a day as that what it says on the bottle. Not the same brand as the one your showing but costs $58 but has over 200 capsules in it. Only just started so here's hoping.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The chart is from diabetes.co.uk , so I assume it is correct.

Duncan
Any chart that talks of "superfoods" is suspect in my opinion. Quinoa has about 21g carbs per 100g cooked as compared with rice at about 25g. It may well have GI or other benefits but I wouldn't call it low carb.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely love cinnamon and mix approx 5g with my ground flaxseeds, inulin, maqui berry powder and kefir which I top with Greek yoghurt and flaked almonds. It is my absolute favourite breakfast and doesn't spike my blood sugars. I do use it in the hope that it does help the BS a bit - but I actually do love the taste of it.

Interestingly - I have been away for a few days and although keeping to my normal 20g of carbs a day my blood sugars were a.lot higher. Of course correlation isn't causation - but I did find that interesting because once back home and eating my favourite breakfast with cinnamon my blood sugars dropped back to normal.

I also only use the raw organic Ceylon cinnamon which has a much milder flavour than the Cassis and buy it from Sevenhills Wholefoods - I think it was somewhere around £11 for 500g from Amazon - so really economical as it says on the pack to have max 5g a day so 500g will last forever.

I am off the insulin also and never want to go back on it which is why I use the cinnamon and also maqui berry powder.

Username:

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I have found that stress & excitement influences my level a lot too. Laying on the couch after lunch results in a lower level than doing some stressy & active job at work. Go figure

..... max 5g a day so 500g will last forever..........

Well .... roughly 3 months :)

.....and also maqui berry powder.

What is that ? Where can I read up on that ?

Duncan

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sprinkle ground cinnamon on my porridge every morning and a 40g jar lasts about 4 months. Never noticed any big effect on my BG but it tastes great!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Duncan
Have attached a link http://www.realdiabetestruth.com/blood-sugar-maqui-berries-antioxidants-diabetes/ . I like the taste and only use 4g with my breakfast as it is so pricy (I get it from Amazon and it is organic and freeze dried by Sevenhills). I alternate it with frozen blueberries which I also like a lot and don't spike by BS either - as long as I keep to a very small portion.

The problem is that all the research seems to have been done on mice - and we are not mice - so I am using it because it turns my kefir, flaxseeds and inulin mix into a rather nice shade of purple and I like the taste and not because it might help my BS.