richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi all,
How many carbs should I allow as it says on jar 94 grams/100 but of which only 3 / 100 is sugars

D

Deleted Account

Whenever counting carbs, we need to consider ALL carbs: starchy carbs (like potatoes, pasta, rice) break down into glucose so all affect us in the same way.

The only caveat is fibre which is not digested (so we do not count fibre).
In the UK, labels exclude fibre from the carb total whereas in the US fibre is included in the total.
You need to be aware of this if you look up the carb total online. Even when searching from the UK, those pesky Yanks :))) still try to dominate so you may find yourself on an American site.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sugar is a carb. Ignore the 'of which sugars' number and look at the carbohydrate number.

As to how many carbs you have per day that is a personal choice and depends on you, your medications and your readings post meals.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think the quantity varies from person to person
There are several considerations including level of Hba1c
Insulin resistance ratio. Weight and tolerance of glucose
The best way to find out the right amount for you is to measure meals before meals and after 2 hours You should not exceed your blood sugar level 140mg/dl 8mmol

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I think the quantity varies from person to person
There are several considerations including level of Hba1c
Insulin resistance ratio. Weight and tolerance of glucose
The best way to find out the right amount for you is to measure meals before meals and after 2 hours You should not exceed your blood sugar level 140mg/dl 8mmol
Many thanks all, I thought I was correct in counting all carbs..
Really a sweetener such as Canderal is a waste of time as it has nearly as much as sugar.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Many thanks all, I thought I was correct in counting all carbs..
Really a sweetener such as Canderal is a waste of time as it has nearly as much as sugar.

Well done, a lot of sweeteners are bulked out with sugar (of one variety or another and often with names that we may be unfamiliar with).