Home Test For Diabetes

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a home test kit which I use mainly for and around sports now.

Is there a specific test I can do at home say fasting for a set amount, testing and then eating a set amount of carbs and testing a time after. Am wanting to test if I am still diabetic. I low carb and have low Hba1c and am wondering if I still have the same response to carbs I did. How will I know if my diabetes has been reversed?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. Have been off and read that :) So from what I can see if I am at 11.1 or less 2 hours after drinking and sitting still that I have had a non diabetic response. Am wanting to have a look before trying upping my carbs in day to day life.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. Have been off and read that :) So from what I can see if I am at 11.1 or less 2 hours after drinking and sitting still that I have had a non diabetic response. Am wanting to have a look before trying upping my carbs in day to day life.
No that's not correct you need to be aiming for less than 7.8 after 2 hours.
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 22.41.54.png

That would be a non diabetic response.
I did mine without upping my carbs before the test so did a full body shock.

SimonCrox

Totally concur with the responses above. But to be very precise, one should have a reasonable amount of CHO in the diet for the 3 days before doing the OGTT; otherwise it is said that the glucose results are higher - but if results OK on low CHO diet beforehand, this is great.
And one does want to have normal glucose tolerance, not IGT if possible, although IGT would be better than diabetes
best wishes

jassi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally concur with the responses above. But to be very precise, one should have a reasonable amount of CHO in the diet for the 3 days before doing the OGTT; otherwise it is said that the glucose results are higher - but if results OK on low CHO diet beforehand, this is great.
And one does want to have normal glucose tolerance, not IGT if possible, although IGT would be better than diabetes
best wishes

I would agree with trying for IGT. I'm type 2 controlled by diet only and I can manage to keep my glucose below 11 almost all the time, but am sometimes not back to fasting in 2 hours, so fall into the IGT category even though my HbA1c is top limit of reference range. I'm quite happy with that.
My morning fasting is usually about 8 ( dawn effect), but not sure what I can do about that.