Morning Sickness

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any ladies have any tips for morning sickness that wont send my sugars through the roof? Feeling pretty alone as i dont know any type 1 ladies that have been or are pregnant, im really struggling my sugars are all over the place atm which otself alone is killing me work (consodering im a nurse havent been very sympathetic and said they know its hard but i need to get over it) it is hard doing a 14 hours shift as it is, so any tips wpuld be great x

Mia4554

Hi, sorry you are having a hard time. I'm afraid I can't really offer any help but I am sure someone will be able to help who has been in a similar situation. The only thing I would say is that as far as I am aware your work place has a duty to support you with 'reasonable adjustments' such as more breaks or something as diabetes is covered by the disability act. Hope things get a bit easier for you x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had hyperemisis on my 3 pregnancies and wasnt even diabetic then. Ginger is renowned for settling the nausea or are you actually getting sick regularly? I think those ginger tea bags might be worth a try. I see you are T1 so dont know if you allowed to dunk or nibble a gingernut biscuit. I was in and out of hospital being fed by drip for the first quarter and when at home small bland meals were best. Its never easy but maybe you can take so e supplies to work of snacks you can tolerate. Good luck with it all, it will get better.

Reactions: Soapybubs87

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried the usual remedies like ginger e.g. ginger tea not ginger nuts. Nibbling delicately on an oatcake? Sippng some juice? Pregnancy is such a weird and unnatural state! If you are not managing to eat much then your liver will be pumping glucose out so this may be contributing to the rollercoaster sugars. Hoping you can find something you can keep down and that this stage will pass soon.
As for work I would ask for what you need to get through a tough shift so that you don't risk getting dehydrated or so wiped out or hypo that you get signed off for the rest of the pregnancy.
Good luck.

MeganFatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 and had a lot of morning sickness when I was pregnant. I tried ginger teabags, and raw ginger slices in boiling water, and sometimes I found I needed something in my stomach like a little toast or even a bit of protein, depending on what you eat of course.
I found very cold fizzy water helped too, but that might be just me, it distracted me from the feeling of nausea.

Rachel_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, both of my pregnancies were long and arduous as I suffered morning sickness for the whole duration, even being sick soon after giving birth to my first... I'll update you later as I'm off to work, but remember one main thing, both my children are now young adults and we're all here to tell the tale...I'm the one whose type one... It can be stressful and worrying.. But relax and I'll chat later this evening to tell you my story and experiences...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone who had hospitalised hyperemesis with 5 pregnancies I feel very annoyed that your nurse told you to get over it. She has obviously never suffered with pregnancy sickness and I bet she doesn’t have type 1 as an added extra. Fortunately I wasn’t type 1 at the time. So from that point of view cannot help you. I just wondered if you could find a more supportive nurse.
As for what to eat, I am not sure that anything really does help. Just keep sipping water. The fizzy water recommended by @MeganFatch may work. But again just little sips. Take each day at a time and remember the beautiful outcome at the end.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any ladies have any tips for morning sickness that wont send my sugars through the roof? Feeling pretty alone as i dont know any type 1 ladies that have been or are pregnant, im really struggling my sugars are all over the place atm which otself alone is killing me work (consodering im a nurse havent been very sympathetic and said they know its hard but i need to get over it) it is hard doing a 14 hours shift as it is, so any tips wpuld be great x

Hi Soapy, well I would begin with a meeting with your Occ Health dept. I know being type 1 in itself is not necessarily an 'illness' that means you can't work shifts, but when you add a troublesome pregnancy into the mix it become s a serious health issue for you and the baby when shifts of 14 hours are contributing to your erratic glucose levels!

You can bet that they would be moaning about other nurses having to take up the flack and lack of staff etc in order to accommodate you but that is THEIR problem, not yours. I think you need to be very firm and you could probably back it up with a letter from your Doctor advising you to do fewer hours or a different shift pattern on a temporary basis until things improve.

I can assure you that nothing will happen and you will get fobbed off if you are not proactive in this, get it all written down, get that meeting booked in, get your Doctor on board. It is hard enough coping with work and pregnancies at the best of times never mind when you have a SERIOUS health condition that affects you AND your baby. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone who had hospitalised hyperemesis with 5 pregnancies I feel very annoyed that your nurse told you to get over it. She has obviously never suffered with pregnancy sickness and I bet she doesn’t have type 1 as an added extra. Fortunately I wasn’t type 1 at the time. So from that point of view cannot help you. I just wondered if you could find a more supportive nurse.
As for what to eat, I am not sure that anything really does help. Just keep sipping water. The fizzy water recommended by @MeganFatch may work. But again just little sips. Take each day at a time and remember the beautiful outcome at the end.

Becca, I think Soapy is saying that SHE is a nurse and considering that, her work has not been supportive?

Rachel_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK I'm back... I had a joke that I had the countdown to giving birth calendar stick to my toilet seat lid, as that's what I saw all the time during pregnancy... Saying this however... I was hungry, so as I couldn't stand the smell of any food being prepared, or any cafe areas etc, my husband would send me outside to wait whilst he cooked, I'd rush in and start eating or if felt really nauseous, we'd eat outside... This did work... Checking blood was continual and drinking small sips of hot chocolate too keep blood up also worked... My midwife claimed I was carrying a large baby... Due to my diabetes... I gave birth to a lovely boy weighing 4lb 6oz....they then told me when carrying my daughter, that I should be very aware of having a large baby... She was delivered weighing 8lb 12...I was pleased to have medical assistance, but also believe in yourself and how you are feeling.... A calm mother to be is far more beneficial than stressed one... Enjoy this time and looking forward to your wonderful new babies arrival..

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone battling major hypos and not so much morning sickness is a killer! Spoke to midwife, she said with regards to work she said if they carry on to get my gp to sign me off for a few weeks, stuff them i need to look after me and my baby, with regards to the sickness the shops near me have no ginger so trying ginger and lemon tea bags and ginger ale (diet/sugar free) see if that helps! Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply xx

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK I'm back... I had a joke that I had the countdown to giving birth calendar stick to my toilet seat lid, as that's what I saw all the time during pregnancy... Saying this however... I was hungry, so as I couldn't stand the smell of any food being prepared, or any cafe areas etc, my husband would send me outside to wait whilst he cooked, I'd rush in and start eating or if felt really nauseous, we'd eat outside... This did work... Checking blood was continual and drinking small sips of hot chocolate too keep blood up also worked... My midwife claimed I was carrying a large baby... Due to my diabetes... I gave birth to a lovely boy weighing 4lb 6oz....they then told me when carrying my daughter, that I should be very aware of having a large baby... She was delivered weighing 8lb 12...I was pleased to have medical assistance, but also believe in yourself and how you are feeling.... A calm mother to be is far more beneficial than stressed one... Enjoy this time and looking forward to your wonderful new babies arrival..
Thanks for your story made me smile glad both your babies arrived safely, i try my best to be calm but them and probably due to hormones i get so upset i feel like one of the purposes is to be put on this earth to reproduced and i habe ended up so lucky to be able to do so and not all women can amd that must be heartbreaking but at the same time i hate myself as i feel like ive been given this amazing gift and yet my body is harming my little one whos obly trying to bake, not being able to know whats happening inside is killing me as all i want to do is protect them and i feel that im the one they need protecting from, my fella doesnt get, my BG has gone from one extream to the other from about 3pm it was perfect at 3pm it was 5.1 perfeft then it went down hill 3.3 then 3.9 then all i remeber is waking up on the sofa at 6pm soaked head to toe in sweat...my sofa soaked, 1.9mmols then 2.7 i dont remember much i think i had a bit of bad rigors before i came too managed to get it to 3.9 by 7.30pm its now 18mmols im supposed to be on a 13 hour shift tomoz but they have played and changed with my insulin quiet a bit so not sure where i will be safe plus with the way im feeling right now..although i have to say at least if im feeling so sick i know my baby is still giving a good fight in there