Guardian Piece - Both Low And High-carb Diets Can Raise Risk Of Early Death, Study Finds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hunting for the original study but hearing quite a few flaws already...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When they say that the lowest quintile of the 5 groups had a median energy from carbs of 37% I start to wonder about how "low carb" any of these diets were.
Data comes from food interviews at 5 time points answering 66 questions. If the food hasn't been weighed and logged who can remember what they had yesterday? Even I who log everything can sometimes forget stuff...
As none of the participants appears to be been on a ketogenic (or even particularly low carb) diet then drawing any conclusions is seriously flawed. Also the graph depicted is an extrapolation with anything below the 37% of energy from carbs being complete guesswork.
I'm sure there are further flaws to but I'm sure someone will do a complete dissection of the evidence later. This was from a quick skim through the report which is here
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

Reactions: Robbity

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted this on another thread. When the BBC reported on the study they added the following disclaimer - which suggests the study was utter rubbish. The bit I was particularly cross about was that the diets were only assessed at the beginning of the study and 6 years later and people could have changed their eating patterns over the subsequent 19 years. So basically the researchers didn't have a clue what people were eating over the subsequent 19 years. So the study is fiction not science.

The BBC says: However, there are limitations to the study.

The findings show observational associations rather than cause-and-effect and what people ate was based on self-reported data, which might not be accurate.

And the authors acknowledge that since diets were measured only at the start of the trial and six years later, dietary patterns could have changed over the subsequent 19 years.

Prof Tom Sanders, professor emeritus of nutrition and dietetics at King's College London, also pointed out that the use of a food questionnaire in the study led to people underestimating the calories and fat they had eaten.

"One explanation for the finding in this and the other US studies is that it may reflect the higher risk of death in the overweight/obese, who may fall into two popular diet camps - those favouring a high-meat/low-carbohydrate diet and those favouring a low-fat/high-carbohydrate diet," he added.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Bingale1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best response to this study that I have read so far is by Campbell Murdoch on Twitter. I quote “The epidemiological study published in the Lancet is like saying "We looked at what the best speed is to join a motorway and concluded from studying 15,000 cars it's 65mph. 60mph or 70mph increases risk of death"
Vs
Clinical world "Adjust your speed to fit with flow of traffic."