Struggling with consistent control

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Levy Could it be something you're eating? I've just realised that eating raw eggs causes insulin resistance in me. I'm currently injecting over double my usual basal dose so I've now cut out the raw eggs! I also have a problem with cod liver oil which does the same thing. My bad blood sugar days last at least 4 days and then I'm back to normal so I can change the basal to match but if you're only getting it for one day it's a bit different. For me it's like the time of the month increased need for insulin but it happens at any time of the month. I can only suggest doing a diary and plotting your insulin resistant days. I think that's a good idea for me too to spot if there's a pattern.
Thanks Carol, that's really helpful. I did start circling the bad days on a calendar, but it's a good idea to make note of the things I ate as well in case I can find a correlation!

Just to note as well, they don't always last just a day! I've had times it's lasted for a week or even more, but other times it's just a day or two.

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Carol, that's really helpful. I did start circling the bad days on a calendar, but it's a good idea to make note of the things I ate as well in case I can find a correlation!

Just to note as well, they don't always last just a day! I've had times it's lasted for a week or even more, but other times it's just a day or two.
When it happens next, increase your basal dose a few units for both injections and then inject your normal bolus for meals. Normal for me is 4 units in the morning and 7 in the evening. When I get this insulin resistance, I have learnt that my basal needs change to about 7 units in the morning and 10 in the evening. I can then inject my bolus as normal. Just had a thought, when you have these episodes, does your basal dose overnight stay steady or does it just affect you during the day?

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it happens next, increase your basal dose a few units for both injections and then inject your normal bolus for meals. Normal for me is 4 units in the morning and 7 in the evening. When I get this insulin resistance, I have learnt that my basal needs change to about 7 units in the morning and 10 in the evening. I can then inject my bolus as normal. Just had a thought, when you have these episodes, does your basal dose overnight stay steady or does it just affect you during the day?
When it happens my levels tend to stay quite steady (especially during the night), just at too high a level if that makes sense. It's not like they keep steadily rising, they just jump up to like 12-15 and then stay there

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it happens my levels tend to stay quite steady (especially during the night), just at too high a level if that makes sense. It's not like they keep steadily rising, they just jump up to like 12-15 and then stay there
I'm not sure with your overnight one then, but I would try upping the daytime basal. It helps to eat the same breakfast each day so you can work out what your new insulin resistant basal dose should be. You just have to be vigilant in spotting when the insulin resistance finishes and then drop back down to your normal basal but having the Libre is a great help with that.

Reactions: Levy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Levy, yes I get this too. I don't know what causes it but when my blood sugar goes up after injecting my usual bolus, I know it's time to inject more basal eg. instead of the usual 4 units in the morning, I inject 7. It's rather scary though injecting a larger basal dose because it will suddenly drop again at some point, resulting in a hypo. I've often wondered if it's my thyroid that causes the fluctuation (I have hashimotos).

Hi Carol - I appreciate your signature states you are T1, but your member status (below your avatar picture) isn't clear.

Ideally everyone would read and heed your signature, signatures don't actually display to those using the app (all to do with making the site app friendly).

If you would like to change your member status ti reflect your type of diabetes, you can do that from your account page and scrolling down to "type of diabetes". You're not under any obligation to do that, but it helps prevent confusion.

If you'd like to change your member status, but can't quite work out how, just tag me or anothe mod and we can get it sorted out for you.

Sorry for going a little off-track there, @Levy .

Reactions: x Carol x

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
Hi Levy, Again it could be me writing! I have very similar problems and often can't find anything to explain them, other than perhaps hormone changes or stress (which sometimes makes my sugars rise and sometimes brings them crashing down just to be awkward!) This has always been the case for me and I have always found control unpredictable - sometimes it is worse the harder I try to get everything just right and what is just right one day can be completely wrong the next. Some days it just wants to run high and I have that anxiety of pushing the basal up without being sure when it might suddenly decide to start working fully again and send me hypo. The pump has been a big help, especially with temporary basal rates, but has not fully sorted the problem. The good news is that my HBA1C is fine, even after 41 years of Type 1, so although it's far from ideal on a day-to-day basis, at least I've so far managed to avoid any negative long term effects. (One wee thing about the libre - I find it great and very useful most of the time, but unfortunately the first 2 days and last 2 days of wearing a sensor can give quite inaccurate results - I'm sure you're double-checking it already, but it's another thing to bear in mind.)

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Levy, Again it could be me writing! I have very similar problems and often can't find anything to explain them, other than perhaps hormone changes or stress (which sometimes makes my sugars rise and sometimes brings them crashing down just to be awkward!) This has always been the case for me and I have always found control unpredictable - sometimes it is worse the harder I try to get everything just right and what is just right one day can be completely wrong the next. Some days it just wants to run high and I have that anxiety of pushing the basal up without being sure when it might suddenly decide to start working fully again and send me hypo. The pump has been a big help, especially with temporary basal rates, but has not fully sorted the problem. The good news is that my HBA1C is fine, even after 41 years of Type 1, so although it's far from ideal on a day-to-day basis, at least I've so far managed to avoid any negative long term effects. (One wee thing about the libre - I find it great and very useful most of the time, but unfortunately the first 2 days and last 2 days of wearing a sensor can give quite inaccurate results - I'm sure you're double-checking it already, but it's another thing to bear in mind.)

Thanks Janet, it helps to know I'm not the only one! I've just finished two very amazing days where things were a breeze and everything worked as intended so I'll take that!

I so relate to the thing you said about the harder you try sometimes the worse it seems to get. Incredibly frustrating!

I suppose overall I can't be too unhappy as my predicted A1C has come down quite a bit from what it was before and is one of the lowest it's been. I just feel like now I have such a close eye on it every "bad" day feels like so much more of a failure

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Janet, it helps to know I'm not the only one! I've just finished two very amazing days where things were a breeze and everything worked as intended so I'll take that!

I so relate to the thing you said about the harder you try sometimes the worse it seems to get. Incredibly frustrating!

I suppose overall I can't be too unhappy as my predicted A1C has come down quite a bit from what it was before and is one of the lowest it's been. I just feel like now I have such a close eye on it every "bad" day feels like so much more of a failure
Hi @Levy I completely agree with @Janet_rabbit about the harder you try the worse your readings seem to be. I like the you have experienced days when my sugars are off the chart and nothing I do changes them, there really doesn’t appear to be any reason for them! I think the most important think you have said though is that if your HBa1c is good and the rest of the time your sugars are within limits then your just having an off day, wake up with a fresh start and hope that day it goes back to normal. What frustrates me further is the average your libre than gives you, all those lovely grey squares then start turning orange :-(

Reactions: x Carol x and Levy

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although upsetting for those posting, it is so heartening to hear of others with such unpredictability. As I said earlier the original post could be me. I take each day in isolation and treat accordingly. As no two are the same let alone week to week.
I love coming on this forum, I have taken on board lots of the tips. But in the early days I did feel very downhearted reading of the minute control some people are able to achieve. The two hours back down to within range I find impossible. No matter what I have tried it doesn’t work. The only thing I haven’t tried is very low carb. Though my meals are very rarely higher than 60 carbs and are generally very healthy. I am going to take a leaf out of TheBigNewts post and remember that the important thing is, what are those levels before you eat. Stress is one of the worst things for the body. I need to do my best, but give myself some slack.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @becca59 and @emmay I'm very glad I'm not alone in this. I too will try and keep my eye on the big picture rather than get hung up on the off days.
I've read about low carb too @becca59 but decided it's really not for me after reading all the things you can't eat

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @becca59 & @Levy
I have tried low carb and I think it does make a difference, by eating less it’s almost like ur body doesn’t stock pile it somehow so you are generally at a lower level. I used to do carb free meals but found it pointless as I would need to take insulin for the protein, so I decided if I was injecting anyway it may as well be for carbs, at that time I used to aim for 100g of carbs a day. However having now realised I just needed to take my insulin 20/30mins before I eat I find there is no need to limit my carbs.
Let’s just hope are off days are few and far between

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
This is nothing to do with insulin adjustment, eating, exercise or any of the normal stuff: Have been taking SELENIUM for a week (activated type from Holland & Barratt) & during that time I have been taking less & less insulin, have been in 4 s consistently, have lost weight (was going to chuck out clothes that no longer fit but all of a sudden they fit me again....whooppee woo!!!!) and feel more energetic. I would recommend taking selenium forthwith.....

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is nothing to do with insulin adjustment, eating, exercise or any of the normal stuff: Have been taking SELENIUM for a week (activated type from Holland & Barratt) & during that time I have been taking less & less insulin, have been in 4 s consistently, have lost weight (was going to chuck out clothes that no longer fit but all of a sudden they fit me again....whooppee woo!!!!) and feel more energetic. I would recommend taking selenium forthwith.....
I'd give anything to feel more energetic! I'll definitely look into it.

Reactions: prancer53

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, so we’ve been talking about days where we can’t get our sugar down, we’ll yesterday I had a day where I couldn’t get my sugar up above 4, each meal I ate I didn’t take the full amount of insulin, I also realised half way through the day I hadn’t actually taken my background insulin!! I really don’t know what was happening, today is not looking much better.... I think it is to do with my new insulin Fiasp, I’m still trying to get to grips with it, has anyone else had this issue??

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Thank you for the response! I just changed clinics and had a blood test done, and I think they might have actually tested my thyroid on that one. I'll phone for the results tomorrow, that might shed some light on things! If not, I'll ask about it at my next clinic.
It's advised not to rely on cgm results as they can often be incorrect. Supposed. To blood test tone sure. I have had Libre and Dexcom and spending £50 a time to get inaccurate readings. Just blood test now a lot.