Libre Sensors Not Sticking

Kyraellis1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya everyone, I have had a freestyle libre for about 3 months now and I really do love it, it has made my life so much easier but... I am having trouble with it sticking. It sticks down perfectly fine when first on but after a few days the sticky stuff starts to peel the sensor still works until yesterday (with 7 days still remaining) I caught it on the sofa and it stopped working and it's a nightmare at my pharmacy to get new ones on time even though I order them a week before. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips,cheap or home made remedies for keep it stuck down? Thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I put a 10x10cm tegaderm patch over it. Usually sticks for the whole two weeks and if not, I just let a friend cut the edges and put a new patch over it.

Reactions: micksmixxx

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kyraellis1998

Just happened to come here, while I have a couple of mins free, and saw your post ;)

Lots of people have this problem and, I suspect, it's due to individual skin issues or, sometimes, that maybe folks aren't cleaning their skin adequately first.

So, regarding potential remedies -

Tegaderm 5cm x 7cm film (expensive)
Rock tape (cheaper, from eBay, ie https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...pe.TRS0&_nkw=Sports+Kinesiology+Tape&_sacat=0)
Eye lash glue (just under the edges)
Skin Tac (? expensive)
Some seem to just stick an elastoplast over it LOL

If you stick something over to secure it, I suggest you also put a piece of paper (about the size of £1 coin) underneath the tape to help remove it if you need to change it, otherwise you have to be extra careful not to lift the sensor in the process.

That's just off the top of my head.

If you look at Facebook - UK users | Freestyle Libre, you'll find lots of posts re problems/suggestions to do with sensors coming unstuck etc.

Personally, I've used Tegaderm and it's good but does lift at the edges progressively and, as mentioned, quite expensive to buy but you can get a couple of these, eBay/Amazon for around £2 which is worth it to try out before buying.

I'm now using said 'rock tape', as per eBay link above, and much cheaper. :)

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Juicyj

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found the same issue so I got a tubular bandage from my local chemist for £3 keeps it in place for the full 2 weeks and I just cut the bandage to size and wash them after a few days it also applies enough pressure to restick the sensor been using it six weeks now no issues

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
hiya everyone, I have had a freestyle libre for about 3 months now and I really do love it, it has made my life so much easier but... I am having trouble with it sticking. It sticks down perfectly fine when first on but after a few days the sticky stuff starts to peel the sensor still works until yesterday (with 7 days still remaining) I caught it on the sofa and it stopped working and it's a nightmare at my pharmacy to get new ones on time even though I order them a week before. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips,cheap or home made remedies for keep it stuck down? Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I am lucky and the libre sticks to me its been put on with super glue. Have seen a few people mention SkinTac wipes on this forum before.

Annette287

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I personally didn't like having something over the top of my sensor so I stopped using Tegaderm and started using skintac, before applying the sensor. Since I've been using the skintac my sensors haven't been coming loose at all.

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,

Hi,
I have just started to use the Libre sensor. In Australia we have been advised to use a tape over the sensor due to the high humidity we get in Summer. I also use barrier wipes before applying them. I use these wipes for years with my insulin pump. They act in two ways 1- they provide a barrier to protect sensitive skin from the adhesives 2- they seem to help with adherence of the sensor. The barrier wipes have been used for many years by people with a stoma or colostomy to help protect their skin. Then over the top Abbott then recommend the use of tapes to secure them because at $92.50 every two weeks you don’t want them to dislodge and become useless. Fixamol tape is one of those recommended as it is cotton weave and allows for the skin to breathe.
To help remove them without pulling half your arm away with the tape you can use remove wipes, use simply wipe over the tape and it releases the glue to help removal. Both the barrier wipes and remove wipes are sold single or in boxes of 50 at the chemist and are the size of an alcohol swab. Not sure if these are called by any different name in the UK but the are made by Smith and Nephew.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Morning.
I have the exact same problem. It's tear your hair out frustrating and I don't know about you but it becomes an extra thing to worry about.
I find mine lose their stickiness when I go to the gym. This theory has been tested over the last week as I've been lazy and not worked out and it's stuck like glue.
I tend to start prepping my arm a week before changing by exfoliating my skin and moisturising but then stop both of these about 3 days before I'm due to stick it on. Then I shave my arm (I don't have hairy arms but figured every little helps). When it comes to applying it I use a skin tac wipe. When I start to see it lift I will use a skin tac wipe to try and stick it down again buy I find the wipes quite expensive in the long run. Failing that I cut a square of rock tape and stick it across the top. This is always my last resort as one of the reasons I like the Libre so much is that it is fairly small and discreet so sticking anything over makes it anything but.
Good luck!
X

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I find that it is important to place the sensor in the middle of my arm, not too close to the outside where turning over in bed can pull it and gradually weaken the adhesion. As others have said, make sure the area is clean and grease free - use the alcohol swab supplied - and let it dry!

Occasionally I have noticed a sensor starting to come off so I just put a strip of wide micropore tape across it and it holds fine.

I did have a sensor fall off once - leaving the adhesive patch on my skin - Abbott replaced it but needed me to send the sesnor back to them for checking.

Good luck!

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
You could try some micropore tape from boots etc, and then put an arm band over the sensor, or one of those tubular support bandages over that part of the arm to protect the sensor. If you contact Freestyle UK 0800 170 1177, they should post out a free replacement .

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
don't know if this would work , but on my omnipod insulin pods , if you wipe the skin with alcohol wipes first they stick better

AlisonHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son is only 13 and has skinny arms, he uses a sweat band over his. We have a variety of colours for different clothes. Easily available in sports shops, easily cleaned and no extra sticky stuff on his skin

connie52

I would love to be able to use the freestyle Libre but my doctors have said this is not available to me on the nhs. I’ve been type 1 for twenty plus years and my fingers are sore from testing. Did you get the freestyle Libre from your GP? Many thanks

1claire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kyraellis1998

Just happened to come here, while I have a couple of mins free, and saw your post ;)

Lots of people have this problem and, I suspect, it's due to individual skin issues or, sometimes, that maybe folks aren't cleaning their skin adequately first.

Rock tape (cheaper, from eBay, ie https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...pe.TRS0&_nkw=Sports+Kinesiology+Tape&_sacat=0)
Skin Tac (? expensive)

If you stick something over to secure it, I suggest you also put a piece of paper (about the size of £1 coin) underneath the tape to help remove it if you need to change it, otherwise you have to be extra careful not to lift the sensor in the process.

If you look at Facebook - UK users | Freestyle Libre, you'll find lots of posts re problems/suggestions to do with sensors coming unstuck etc.

Personally, I've used Tegaderm and it's good but does lift at the edges progressively and, as mentioned, quite expensive to buy but you can get a couple of these, eBay/Amazon for around £2 which is worth it to try out before buying.

@Kyraellis1998

Skin Tac (? expensive)

1claire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kyraellis1998

Skin Tac (? expensive)

1claire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kyraellis1998

Skin Tac (? expensive)