DAFNE info from graduates

TigerBao

Hey all. Phoned up some people today to see if there's a DAFNE course going on this year, and it seems uncertain whether there will be one, and if there is it will be near the end of the year.

In the meantime my sugars are, while improved dramatically, still a little unpredictable.

So are there any DAFNE graduates here who could let me copy their notes, as it were, and fill me in on some info covered on the course? Like how to estimate CP by sigh for stuff like pasta (I loooove pasta) would be really useful, but any information at all would be awesome.
Thanks.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
TigerBao said:
Hey all. Phoned up some people today to see if there's a DAFNE course going on this year, and it seems uncertain whether there will be one, and if there is it will be near the end of the year.

In the meantime my sugars are, while improved dramatically, still a little unpredictable.

So are there any DAFNE graduates here who could let me copy their notes, as it were, and fill me in on some info covered on the course? Like how to estimate CP by sigh for stuff like pasta (I loooove pasta) would be really useful, but any information at all would be awesome.
Thanks.

Hi,

Before i did DAFNE i saw my dietician a few times, she had 'fake' plates of food, which were used to estimate the amount of carbs in food, it's basically a picture of a meal, for example potatoes chicken and vegetables, then on the underneath it showed how many 10g portions of carb was in each food on the plate. Pretty good at getting to know amounts of carbs by sight.

Maybe your dietician has something similar.

Theres also app's for iphones and smartphones that use pictures of food so you can estimate what your eating by comparing. I think theres also a carb counting book too that uses this method but i'm not sure what it's called, hopefully someone will be able to tell you and be more useful :)

dectjoh

The book and the app are both called 'Carbs and Cals'. I use the app and would thoroughly recommend it for when you are out and about. It is a bit subjective but better than guessing!
Tracy

TigerBao

I'm not high tech enough to have a smartphone lol I have a slightly outdated now Ericcson w850, but will have a gander at the apps for that and see if I get lucky.

Froobes

I'm going on DAFNE next week, if my work will let me scan my notes I can forward you them in an email.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Froobes said:
I'm going on DAFNE next week, if my work will let me scan my notes I can forward you them in an email.

Hope you enjoy the course! :D

Nigel

Froobes

Thanks Nigel! I'm a little apprehensive as with anything Diabetes related but hopefully I'll find it useful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Froobes said:
Thanks Nigel! I'm a little apprehensive as with anything Diabetes related but hopefully I'll find it useful.

You'll certainly find it useful and will be pleased when you see those bg numbers falling over the next few weeks! :D

Nigel