Liver Dump

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I’ve been following a low carb diet for over 2 years now but still get a big liver dump in the mornings. Eg, before bed an ok 6 first thing in morning 10.2. When will this end? I still take gliclazide with breakfast as I feel this is needed to bring levels down.
I normally eat <30g carbs a day.

Reactions: jwd1 and neithskye

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been following a low carb diet for over 2 years now but still get a big liver dump in the mornings. Eg, before bed an ok 6 first thing in morning 10.2. When will this end? I still take gliclazide with breakfast as I feel this is needed to bring levels down.
As far as I know, liver dump is not something unnatural that will go with time. From an evolution background, it helped our ancestors have energy in the morning to go out and hunt. I had this only last year and still have it but I only solved it when I was switched from using premix human insulin and regular to Basal/Bolus.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still get a liver dump after 6 years since diagnosis. its just what my body does.I suspect it has always done this, i just didnt know about it before i was diagnosed and saw it happening with my test results.

Reactions: Serena51 and jwd1

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you tried a fatty protein before bed or a nibble of cheese or similiar before getting out of bed?

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I still get a liver dump after 6 years since diagnosis. its just what my body does.I suspect it has always done this, i just didnt know about it before i was diagnosed and saw it happening with my test results.
That’s reassuring to know. I sometimes look at other people’s morning readings, but never post mine. I’m just pleased if in single figures! It was this morning - only 8.5. I’ve always been a ‘morning person’ so perhaps my liver is only trying to be helpful.

Reactions: Serena51 and jwd1

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried a fatty protein before bed or a nibble of cheese or similiar before getting out of bed?
I’ve tried before bed, doesn’t make any difference. Not thought about trying in the morning. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Serena51

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s reassuring to know. I sometimes look at other people’s morning readings, but never post mine. I’m just pleased if in single figures! It was this morning - only 8.5. I’ve always been a ‘morning person’ so perhaps my liver is only trying to be helpful.

Same here. Everyone else has these amazing readings, and here I am with this high spike.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My liver loves me !! I have tried every thing known to man woman child cat dog and probably Elephant but I still get a massive spike in the morning
Carol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I understand, liver dumps will only disappear/reduce when any insulin resistance disappears/reduces.
In non-diabetics the liver dumps but then the pancreas secretes insulin to clear the dumped glucose into the cells for energy. Perfect system. It keeps them alive and is a completely natural event..

In those with insulin resistance, the liver dumps and the pancreas secretes insulin, but the insulin secreted from the pancreas cannot get the dumped glucose into the cells, so it stays in the blood stream.

The worse the insulin resistance, the higher the morning fasting levels will be.

Then of course, there are those T2s whose pancreas is wearing out, so insufficient insulin is produced, so again the dumped glucose cannot be cleared.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tested so regularly/often they can tell us how long their liver dump spike lasts for? Only asking to gauge if it is particularly detrimental to levels or just a blip.Thanks .

Antfm11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Incompetent and ill informed medical practitioners
Been t2 11 years and always have morning highs nothing I can do

Then without warning my morning bg can go for 5-6 weeks quite normal but then lows for the whole day.

Without any changes to diet lifestyle and exercise and stress

After that it just goes back up on its own. There is clearly a system at work that is outside of normal diabetic control and would be pleased to know what it is.

Bmi is under under 24 so no insulin resistance levathyroxine 100 microgm morning
metformin 2x 500mg mg morning 1x500 mg night
Seretide 2 x inhalations 2 x day
bronchiectasis not good for the immune system.....
Walking 5 miles per day average.

EasyHeart

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Mean and unkind attitudes that stop people enjoying their lives or feeling good about themselves.
Hi, are you anxious, stressed or a perfectionist? If so the stress hormone cortisol causes release of glucose into bloodstream (in case there is an emergency than needs a flight or fight action). Cortisol levels also naturally rise in the morning - this is what gets us out of bed! So it may be you are having a "double dose" which could be a contributing factor to your liver dumping. The way to reduce stress released cortisol is to ensure you allow yourself opprotunity to rebalance every day - take time throughout the day to try some positive mindfulness e.g. once an hour take 1 minute to focus on your breathing and encourage your brain to gently repeat the thought that "you are safe and you are loved". This helps reduce cortisol levels as you can"t feel safe and unsafe at the same time, so the brain gives the body the message that it doesn't need the "look-out hormone" cortisol right now and over time your body is able to downregulate - so there is less background cortisol. Good luck and be kind to yourself, know that yuo are doing your best on any given day, and that is god enough :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you do any fasting? My morning BG is still the highest I get all day, but only by about 1mmol. The rise gradually decreased for me over time, but only fasting from around 2pm till morning tends to give me under 6mmol.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already mentioned liver dumps are natural and generally helpful, so I don't worry if I get a slight rise in the mornings, I've learned to let mine do its job.

I see liver dumps at times other than first thing in the morning too. Most interesting was that when I had a spell of being quite poorly and was only really "active" when I got of bed early evening to feed my dogs and myself, my liver followed that routine and was giving me a boost around 5pm.

Robbity

Reactions: Sani Thomas

steve1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Concordjan,

I too suffer from liver dump - regularly seeing 10's & 11's in the morning.
I've been on Gliclazide for the past 9 months & this has done nothing to help, apart from help me gain weight!

I think insulin resistance is the key here, intermittent fasting has helped me in the past -but not changed the morning numbers.

I'm currently 2 weeks into the "blood sugar" diet & have seen my morning number drop to the low 8's....I'm now off the Gliclazide.

P

pollensa

I’ve tried before bed, doesn’t make any difference. Not thought about trying in the morning. Thank you for your help.

I have thrown around lots of things, for myself, eating cheese at night with some fresh grapefruit two or three pieces only reduces the results, also, the best working method that is consistent, on waking, I drink 4 small glasses of water, walk on tread for 5 mins, then sit relax for 15 mins, and BINGO.....always the levels are consistently normal......so flippers crossed this method allows the once normally higher results to keep normal, again, this works for myself, may not do the same for others, worth a try, nothing to loose?? If you dont have tread at home, just take a short brisk walk come home sit relax and then take the test.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Concordjan
P

pollensa

I have thrown around lots of things, for myself, eating cheese at night with some fresh grapefruit two or three pieces only reduces the results, also, the best working method that is consistent, on waking, I drink 4 small glasses of water, walk on tread for 5 mins, then sit relax for 15 mins, and BINGO.....always the levels are consistently normal......so flippers crossed this method allows the once normally higher results to keep normal, again, this works for myself, may not do the same for others, worth a try, nothing to loose?? If you dont have tread at home, just take a short brisk walk come home sit relax and then take the test.

Hope this helps

Your welcome, for some reason seems to trick the system when water is drunk, give it a go, and hope it works for you too.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football

Hi I’m Maddy type two uk.
I’m not sure what lover dump Is
But my morning reading are always very high 18-20. I’m on Gliclazaide, Pioglitazone and 42 am insulin- 8 at pm.
I haven’t started low carb yet. I’d like to !!
Ps well done for your low readings.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi I’m Maddy type two uk.
I’m not sure what lover dump Is
But my morning reading are always very high 18-20. I’m on Gliclazaide, Pioglitazone and 42 am insulin- 8 at pm.
I haven’t started low carb yet. I’d like to !!
Ps well done for your low readings.
Hi Maddy
From my understanding a liver dump, or dawn phenomenon, is when your liver gives you a boost of glucose before you get up in the morning to give you a bit of extra energy to get you going. Not really helpful for us with diabetes though.
I’ve had diabetes 11years now and only been following a low carb diet for the last 2. It seems to be the only thing that really works (for me). Good luck, Jan

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Your body is dumping due to it thinking your fasting... you're going too long without food so your liver is preventing a hypo.
I eat a fatty protein before bed. The fat delays the digestion of the protein so it sustains my bodies need through the night. I don't add weight nor have any problem with my liver as a result. In fact my fatty liver prefers it.
Win win for me.
When I remember to do it or not still full from a late dinner. Only a little is needed. Not a meal worth, just a nibble.