Latest A1c . February 11.4,june,5.8 Yesterday.6.0.

M

Moggely

That's both a "yes" and a "no" Initially you must, simply to witness the effects of diet, any exercise, general health. After a few months and good figures, you need not be as passionate about it ... especially if your HbA1c levels are in the good range
Thanks @Mike D . I think i was obsessed as i pretty much, now know what effects my levels. It still is consistently in the 6's though and i think you are right about the shingles it was terrible and stressful time. I'm also going to give the testing away for a couple of weeks as it's all i could think about. Thank you.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If it's in the 6s, perhaps it's time to pull the trigger and do (say) 4 tests a day. You'll pretty much get to know when something isn't right without the habitual testing

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My A1c last February was at 38.

And last May it went up to 39.

Like you I was absolutely shattered but I now realised there’s really nothing to worry about as those numbers are still within the normal range.

An A1c between 32 to 42 is considered normal.

If my A1c had gone up to the 50s, then that’s the time to reflect and examine what I’ve been eating and make the necessary changes fast because according to endocrinologists an A1c of 52 and above is dangerous and diabetic complications starts.

Last edited:
M

Moggely

Oh Thanks to both @Mike D and @NewTD2. I really do feel so much better today about it all Yes NewTD2 it is shattering hey. So mine is still pretty normal. Yes Mike D i will do that. Going away for a week at a b@b for a break off the Great lakes here in Tassie and just put it all behind me.:playful:. If i'm to really honest with you all i feel really embarrassed about how i reacted. 64 throwing a tantrum is not a good look.:hilarious:

Reactions: Prem51

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Tantrums? What tantrums?. ;) At your age, it's your right. We can't all be mellow each and every day :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I am 68 going on 16 and have at least 1 tantrum a day if possible, it's cathartic. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you go by your own A1c as well as the lab
No, I don't go for the A1c home testing. I understand from reading Dr Bernstein that they are very inaccurate. The official ones are not very accurate either. Regular finger prick testing is not very accurate either as far as any one test goes, but all those tests add up to useful info. I agree it is terribly disappointing not to see better readings when you are trying so hard.

Are you taking Metformin? Would you like to share a typical day's food diary with us? We might be able to spot something that could be changed to make a difference.

Above all, there is no need to stress. For all of us, getting our bgs to the level we want is a work in progress, especially at first. It does involve trial and error (and, upsettingly, hopes dashed as well as successes). A few sub-optimal results are what everyone sees from time to time and won't kill us!!!

Edited to say: reading Shelley's post above, I see you have already shared your food diary. Which thread is that on?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Moggely dont be too despondent - you’ve had/are having a difficult year health wise which does impact on your hba1c. I was diagnosed with cancer in January this year and had an operation in February. My hba1c has also gone up by 2 but both my DN and I have decided that, in the circumstances, it’s not that bad. Enjoy your holiday and come back feeling refreshed.

M

Moggely

No, I don't go for the A1c home testing. I understand from reading Dr Bernstein that they are very inaccurate. The official ones are not very accurate either. Regular finger prick testing is not very accurate either as far as any one test goes, but all those tests add up to useful info. I agree it is terribly disappointing not to see better readings when you are trying so hard.

Are you taking Metformin? Would you like to share a typical day's food diary with us? We might be able to spot something that could be changed to make a difference.

Above all, there is no need to stress. For all of us, getting our bgs to the level we want is a work in progress, especially at first. It does involve trial and error (and, upsettingly, hopes dashed as well as successes). A few sub-optimal results are what everyone sees from time to time and won't kill us!!!

Edited to say: reading Shelley's post above, I see you have already shared your food diary. Which thread is that on?
I used the thread what have you eaten today @Alexandra100 for the past month or so but no i am not on Medication. I was put on metformin and lasted 5 weeks before i had,had enough of it and just went LC right from day 1 of diagnoses. So topical day would be things like. Breakfast. Bacon and eggs or scrambles, poached ext. Rarely had Lunch as wasn't hungry and Dinner would be some sort of meat,chicken, maybe homemade quiche, no flour with cali mash or broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Lot of green tea and have used apple cider vinegar and cinnamon caps. Actually i did the apple cider vinegar religiously for the first 3 months and swore by it and blood dropped dramatically, for some reason i stopped and now have restarted that. But like you said none of the tests are reliable so not much one can do i suppose but everyone has been so reassuring that i have felt so much better and am determined not to slip back. To @Daphne917 . Yes am ok about it now, thanks for your post and hope with all that is in me that your cancer is under controlled and you are on the road to recovery it is very stressful and mine was 4 years ago now. In some ways diabetes seems worse as you have to watch everything you put in your mouth and so on. None is good however so a very good luck to you. Did you need chemotherapy and or radiation? I can see why your levels raised as that would be natural. Yes i will enjoy the holiday thank you.:playful:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Moggely I missed your op yesterday and it seems you have got over your original disappointment. But just to add to what others have said, well done on your progress since February.
I can understand your initial disappointment. I was disappointed when my HbA1c last year went up to 42 IFCC from 39 IFCC the previous year. But I realised it was good that I was still below the diabetic level of 48. My next Hba1c test is due in October and I am hoping it will still be in the pre-diabetic range (42-47). I would only be disappointed if I went back into the diabetic range.

In the UK non-diabetic is below 42 IFCC, pre-diabetic is 42-47 and diabetic is 48 and above. Your readings in IFCC would be 22.6 (Feb), 33.9 (June) and 35.3 (yesterday). Your last two readings are well in the non-diabetic range so you should be really happy.
You are fortunate to be getting 3 monthly HbA1c tests. I only get one every 12 months.
Well done on your progress. You are doing really well despite your other problems. Don't stress! :)

M

Moggely

@Moggely I missed your op yesterday and it seems you have got over your original disappointment. But just to add to what others have said, well done on your progress since February.
I can understand your initial disappointment. I was disappointed when my HbA1c last year went up to 42 IFCC from 39 IFCC the previous year. But I realised it was good that I was still below the diabetic level of 48. My next Hba1c test is due in October and I am hoping it will still be in the pre-diabetic range (42-47). I would only be disappointed if I went back into the diabetic range.

In the UK non-diabetic is below 42 IFCC, pre-diabetic is 42-47 and diabetic is 48 and above. Your readings in IFCC would be 22.6 (Feb), 33.9 (June) and 35.3 (yesterday). Your last two readings are well in the non-diabetic range so you should be really happy.
You are fortunate to be getting 3 monthly HbA1c tests. I only get one every 12 months.
Well done on your progress. You are doing really well despite your other problems. Don't stress! :)
Thanks @Prem51 . Oh here i was thinking mine was back into the pre diabetic range, perhaps it's different in Australia. A normal non diabetic is between 4 and 5,5 I remember a time when it was between 4 and 6 so when they changed that i would not know and why they would do it. Yes i am lucky that it's 3 monthly as i asked him can it be 6 monthly, so he is good in that way but so very busy doctor. I wish you the very best on yours in October Prem. Good luck and hope it's a lovely 39 if not lower. I will just be sensible now and sometimes realize it won't always be what i want.:)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes am ok about it now, thanks for your post and hope with all that is in me that your cancer is under controlled and you are on the road to recovery it is very stressful and mine was 4 years ago now. In some ways diabetes seems worse as you have to watch everything you put in your mouth and so on. None is good however so a very good luck to you. Did you need chemotherapy and or radiation? I can see why your levels raised as that would be natural. Yes i will enjoy the holiday thank you.:playful:[/QUOTE]

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Moggely mine was endometrial cancer and, luckily, the only treatment needed was a major op which took about 3-4 months to recover from but I wasn’t so careful with my diet as usual hence my apprehension re the Hba1c results! Glad that you feeling more positive now.

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Shingles, also known as herpes zoster, is an infection of a nerve and the skin around it. It is caused by the varicella-zoster virus. That alone is enough to alter your blood glucose balance and affect glycated haemoglobin regardless of your diet control efforts.

I personally feel that you have done well in view of your viral health challenges.

Reactions: zand
M

Moggely

Shingles, also known as herpes zoster, is an infection of a nerve and the skin around it. It is caused by the varicella-zoster virus. That alone is enough to alter your blood glucose balance and affect glycated haemoglobin regardless of your diet control efforts.

I personally feel that you have done well in view of your viral health challenges.
Thank you for that @achike . That information was very helpful. I have stopped beating myself up because there really isn't any point is there and i was controlled as far as the diet. So over and downwards as many say in here.:hilarious:. To @Daphne917 How you didn't control your blood levels is...well...you had the cancer to fight as well.. Thankfully you didn't need chemo. ext. But you needed quite a few months to recover. Hope all is well now. Cancer is ghastly as we all know but i am finding how much the body can take. Quite a miracle really if one would sit down and think about it.:angelic:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I believe her readings in IFCC are :
February 101
June 40
August 42.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

@Moggely you have reduced from 101 (11.4%) in a remarkable time span. That is an excellent achievement. Be proud. :)

M

Moggely

I believe her readings in IFCC are :
February 101
June 40
August 42.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

@Moggely you have reduced from 101 (11.4%) in a remarkable time span. That is an excellent achievement. Be proud. :)
Thank you @Bluetit1802 . I am proud but i was disappointed as i modeled myself on others in here. I can not do that again. They all say "we are all different and they are so very right" Thank you for you input so much appreciated.

M

Moggely

So what is it in the UK numbers as mine is in percentages.6.0 sometimes it can be confusing between countries. Why can't we all be the same.:p Interesting, however it did take me 2 days to get over that. Silly i know but so thankful for everyone's input, you will never know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So what is it in the UK numbers as mine is in percentages.6.0 sometimes it can be confusing between countries. Why can't we all be the same.:p Interesting, however it did take me 2 days to get over that. Silly i know but so thankful for everyone's input, you will never know.

@bluetit and @Moggely Apologies for misunderstanding, but I thought figures quoted were in mmol/L not dfcc as they didn't have % shown.

It would be highly unusual for an HbA1c to be shown in mmol/l.
The standards for the HbA1c are either a percentage (DCCT) or in mmol/mol (IFCC) depending on the lab/country.
Our meters are in mmol/l or mg/dl (in some countries) and so are plasma glucose tests.

It is VERY confusing, but that is how it is and we can't do anything about it, and yes, it is a pity all countries aren't the same!