Lucozade Alternatives

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lucozade original used to be my go-to hypo treatment for many years. After they halved the sugar content and added sweeteners it's no good (what were they thinking? Surely nobody was drinking it for the taste, but it used to do the job, and you didn't need too much of it). I find liquid better for treating bad lows. These days I usually use orange or grape juice, but looking for other ideas.

What is the best fast, concentrated, non-caffeinated, cheap and widely available liquid alternative you know?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Lucozade original used to be my go-to hypo treatment for many years. After they halved the sugar content and added sweeteners it's no good (what were they thinking? Surely nobody was drinking it for the taste, but it used to do the job, and you didn't need too much of it). I find liquid better for treating bad lows. These days I usually use orange or grape juice, but looking for other ideas.

What is the best fast, concentrated, non-caffeinated, cheap and widely available liquid alternative you know?

Not sure about your issues here. Although the sugar content was reduced it was not halved by any stretch of the imagination. I used to drink about a 3rd of a 330ml bottle for a hypo, last time I used it I drank about half a bottle, worked just fine.

You can use orange juice, full sugar coke, lemonade (mixer sized tins are useful to carry around) and then there's stuff like glucojuice which gives you exactly 15g of carbs so you know what you're dealing with.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It was indeed approximately halved:
https://www.diabetes.ie/lucozade-energy-is-changing/
There used to be around 17g of carbs in 100ml.

Sometimes I'd just prefer something concentrated.
Coke is good during the day, but if it's late I'd rather not be having caffeine.
Maybe I could give glucojuice another try. I'm a big guy though, and for a serious low I usually need more than one of those.

Mountain Dew seems be the most concentrated sugar drink that I've found - fingers crossed they don't lower the sugar content in that to beat the sugar levy!

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Any sugary drink like Fanta, Cola, Lemon is ok even a Ribena, they all contains at least 9 cubes of sugar. I prefer the gel actually, i have better result with it and fast.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
15g of quick acting sugar is what I seek out for a hypo....so you should still be able to find that in lucozade.....you just might need to buy more now....if you choose to stick with that....

I personally buy 500ml of orange isotonic juice, which gives me two portions for a hypo....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since Lucozade became pointless I've had packs of 3 x 10gcarbs 'Gkucogel' tubes and you can get them on prescription in the UK

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lucozade is still lucozade as I am still relying on it!
You just.have to make sure you get the original.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mountain Dew seems be the most concentrated sugar drink that I've found - fingers crossed they don't lower the sugar content in that to beat the sugar levy!

I had never tried this drink before but recently had a hypo whilst out and needed a quick fix of sugar. Looking at the labels (or rather getting my friend to as my vision was going funny) Mountain Dew had the highest amount so I tried that one.
It worked quite well and I would probably go for that one again.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It was indeed approximately halved:
https://www.diabetes.ie/lucozade-energy-is-changing/
There used to be around 17g of carbs in 100ml.

Sometimes I'd just prefer something concentrated.
Coke is good during the day, but if it's late I'd rather not be having caffeine.
Maybe I could give glucojuice another try. I'm a big guy though, and for a serious low I usually need more than one of those.

Apologies. Guess that goes some way to explain why I was always hyper after drinking it, my memory must be failing as well as my pancreas. Since starting with the Libre in summer last year I haven't had a 'proper' hypo.

This might interest you.....
https://www.enerzaid.co.uk

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Westley, Have you considered the effect of sugary drinks on your teeth long term ? And in the heat of the moment spilling the drink is a possibility, with you ending up with the stickiness over face, clothes and little going to your bloodstream.etc.
The Glucose jels are the way to go. but it is any form of glucose or similar sugar in a storm if you are none left.
Also if and when the next hypo occurs see if you or someone else can regularly check your BSL say every 10 minutes.
BSLs might rise from the effect of one's own Glucagon and Adrenaline on the liver, and 'pouring in' heaps of sugar from a sweet drink etc on top may raise the BSLs way too high.
The main questions are: as an individual
1) are you able to swallow well enough not to choke, for things to not good 'down the wrong way' ? If not - Is a Glucagon injection available and can someone give it? OR if alcohol has been taken and you cannot swallow how quickly can ambulance or other health professional help be summoned? And what is the best position for you to be placed in if you are becoming drowsy, heading towards unconsciousness? What needs to be done if you start fitting?
2) if swallowing OK, how much glucose/other sugar do you usually need to raise BSL sufficiently when symptoms and signs of a hypo occur ?
3) what to do you or others helping you do when 2) does not appear to be working ? And BSLS are still less than say 5 mmol/l. Or BSLS are > 5 mmol/l ? see 4) for why I am using BSL of 5 mmol/l.
4) once the glucose meter or whatever monitoring is in place records several results (allowing at least 15% for error range) above say, 5 mmol/l, is putting in more oral sugar at that time helpful? - given that signs and symptoms might last past the time when BSLs are back in normal or above normal range ?
5) or do you need to then add in a slower-acting form of carbohydrate ?
6) what is to be done with a high blood sugar overshoot and how can it be prevented or minimised in future?
7) what caused the hypo in the first place and how can a recurrence be prevented or minimised.?
Sure, it depends to a degree on what is the cause of the hypo and what insulin (or other medication) is acting but dealing with hypos is more complex than we would like to think.
As answers to a number of the above questions are in Health Professional territory I cannot answer them directly.

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade was bought for me when pregnant with my son as I had severe Hyperemesis and couldn’t eat. Took one sip and threw up. Cannot even stand the smell. I’m a Coke/ Jelly Baby girl. I buy the 15ml ones and keep them by the side of my bed. I use a straw and then sluice my mouth with water afterwards, as recommended by the dentist. I drink the lot and then don’t worry about going back to sleep. The carbon dioxide also makes everything work quicker. In the day time just 2 JBs does the job so that I don’t rebound too high.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Glucose powder is one I hadn't considered. I wouldn't want to be opening and mixing powder when hypo though! I wonder how well it would keep if you mixed up a concentrated solution and left it in a bottle in the fridge. I thought most soft drinks have preservatives in to stop them getting funky.
Interesting too about the carbonation making it faster. I'd be interested to know if the effect is significant or has been quantified.

D

Deleted member 308541

Glucose powder is one I hadn't considered. I wouldn't want to be opening and mixing powder when hypo though! I wonder how well it would keep if you mixed up a concentrated solution and left it in a bottle in the fridge.
When I mixed it up for the cat I just kept it in a container with the lid on, I did not put it in the fridge though.

If you were to put it small bottles, just keep them in the fridge and give it a bit of a shake before you need it.

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm aware this is an old thread but my contribution is not so much to take part in the discussion as to add another drink to answer the question. Todd's Enerzade specifically developed its drink to fill the hole in hypo treatment left in the reformulating of Lucozade.

Its product description includes things like "Many customers have found Enerzade to be an effective replacement product to old lucozade as our recipe has a very similar nutritional content to old lucozade and we have not replaced any of the glucose in our drink with artificial sweeteners."