Sugar Levels And Stress

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Dear people,

4 weeks ago my husband was urgently admitted to hospital with an extremely rare MSSA infection called psoas muscle abcess which turned septic. he is still on IV and will be in hospital for at least 4 weeks more. Since he is in hospital my sugar levels hang between 12-14 mmol and even with strict testing and diet and extra insulin it wont go down. But it doesnt go above 14.
My consultant says its the stress and my days being a lot longer as i visit him in hospital after work so my evening meal has moved at least 1.5 hours later.

Did anyone here experienced something similar and how did they tackle it? Did you just sit it out with your normal regime or did you make huge changes to the insulin routine? My consultant says just keep a strict testing regime and adjust with topup between meals as he says my BG will improve parallel with my husband improving.

Love to hear from you

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry I can't help but Good Luck and Best Wishes to you both.

M

Moggely

Hi your consultant is most likely right. Stress is a Holy terror when it comes to sugar levels i'm finding. sorry to hear about your husband and hope he gets well soon. I'm not on insulin just diet and exercise T2. I'm taking it your T1 and I'm pretty sure other T1's can give you some advise. You still,however, have to look after yourself as well. Can you take food up to the hospital when you visit your husband?.Hope things work out for you both and wish you well.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sometimes you just have to try to be kind to yourself. In the global scheme of things, a few weeks of high blood sugar makes no difference, and you even have your consultant's support for this.

His advice sounds spot on to me: just keep on with the correction top ups and avoid any nasty night time hypos, which is the last thing you want in your current situation.

Lots of virtual hugs and I hope your husband gets well soon.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Stress definitely affects glucose levels and in most people causes noticeable insulin resistance. It's a well known phenomenon and lack of sleep is a big driver, along with other forms of stress. In many ways your consultant is correct. Test plenty, cprrect when necessary.

maria030660

Dislikes
The hubby is getting better but it is a slow process. Its hanging in there i guess with the BG and be patient. Around 12 is not the end of the world i know but i wouldnt want it to spiral it slowly out of control.
Thank you for all the well wishing, its very much appreciated

Reactions: Juicyj and Antje77
P

pollensa

Dear people,

4 weeks ago my husband was urgently admitted to hospital with an extremely rare MSSA infection called psoas muscle abcess which turned septic. he is still on IV and will be in hospital for at least 4 weeks more. Since he is in hospital my sugar levels hang between 12-14 mmol and even with strict testing and diet and extra insulin it wont go down. But it doesnt go above 14.
My consultant says its the stress and my days being a lot longer as i visit him in hospital after work so my evening meal has moved at least 1.5 hours later.

Did anyone here experienced something similar and how did they tackle it? Did you just sit it out with your normal regime or did you make huge changes to the insulin routine? My consultant says just keep a strict testing regime and adjust with topup between meals as he says my BG will improve parallel with my husband improving.

Love to hear from you

Yes just recently over last month, my Husband ill also, Hospital ambulances, doctors, all added to anxiety and tensions, I have to say, after 2 years of more or less same results and A1C dropped to 5.0%, I normally only test every three months anyway curious to see how an illness of loved one affected if any, Yes, my fasting, 2hr and random, all were higher, thankfully, all well within the normal range 100%, but without doubt, they were higher and I have not changed absolutely any regime same intermittent fasting weekly, meal plan the same, exercise the same, more surfing actually due to the good weather and conditions.

It looks as though anxiety tension, stress may /may not have some contribution to higher levels?????????

I do hope all goes well with your husband.

Mallorca

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I'd correct during the day, when I can keep a close eye on my bg and not toward bed time.
Hope things will get back to normal shortly, both with the husband and with diabetes.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely, I had significant stress some years ago and my levels shot up resulting in having to start taking insulin. In addition to managing diet and medication it might be worth doing regular mindfulness practice and deep breathing exercises in order to manage stress.

Hope things improve soon for you both

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear about your husband @maria030660 what a great worry for you.

Unfortunately stress and high bg levels go hand in hand, I tend to find I hit insulin resistance above 12 so have to take an extra 20%, above 15mmol/l I do a 50% more bolus and then keep a careful watch, if you can get out for a walk or do some exercise at all as this may help too, best wishes.

maria030660

Dislikes
I took the sunday off as it was impossible to travel in Dublin because of the prublic mass with the Pope so finally i got to do a bit of quilting again and it was heaven. Just sit and not having to run around even if it was for only one day

Reactions: pavlovsdog