Worried About Feet

hunni 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey everyone
so im 17 and Ive been type 1 since the age of 2. im worried about my feet as I have quite hardened skin (probably because its dry) and the sensation isn't as good as the rest of my foot. Is this a sign of something serious?

Thank you!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are at all concerned then seeing a nurse might help - a doctor might not be much help - I had a mosaic verruca at one point and showed it to the doctor - he said it was just hard skin, three times, if I remember correctly - and the chiropodist had to burn it off with acid and it took weeks to go - it was rather painful and it left a patch of my foot sole with reduced sensation.

Using a moisturizing lotion, or even olive oil on them would be a good idea.
Please do not try to cut away, or shave or abrade it off - it seems that a lot of serious complications arise from quite small injuries, which then become infected.
It might be nothing more serious than badly fitting shoes, but warm baths, even just a footbath, walking, going up and down a flight of stairs three times (to use the muscles in your legs to help pump the blood around) all might help.
I am 67, and I bought myself a big trampoline to put in the garden for fun and easy exercise, I'd have had 40 more years of having fun if I'd started at your age and I might even be able to do backflips if I'd started earlier.

Reactions: Grant1969

hunni 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are at all concerned then seeing a nurse might help - a doctor might not be much help - I had a mosaic verruca at one point and showed it to the doctor - he said it was just hard skin, three times, if I remember correctly - and the chiropodist had to burn it off with acid and it took weeks to go - it was rather painful and it left a patch of my foot sole with reduced sensation.

Using a moisturizing lotion, or even olive oil on them would be a good idea.
Please do not try to cut away, or shave or abrade it off - it seems that a lot of serious complications arise from quite small injuries, which then become infected.
It might be nothing more serious than badly fitting shoes, but warm baths, even just a footbath, walking, going up and down a flight of stairs three times (to use the muscles in your legs to help pump the blood around) all might help.
I am 67, and I bought myself a big trampoline to put in the garden for fun and easy exercise, I'd have had 40 more years of having fun if I'd started at your age and I might even be able to do backflips if I'd started earlier.
honestly, thank you so much for your advice!

D

Deleted member 308541

hey everyone
so im 17 and Ive been type 1 since the age of 2. im worried about my feet as I have quite hardened skin (probably because its dry) and the sensation isn't as good as the rest of my foot. Is this a sign of something serious?

Thank you!
Go and see a podiatrist if you have concerns like this.