JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We have in a short period of time one lot of so called experts pushing a spurious report that low carb or ketonic diets that though can help lose weight and in many cases reverse diabetes, but not make any profit for the drug companies, can be bad for you.

And then on the other hand a load of so called experts pushing a new weight loss wonder drug. That will make the drug companies millions

I for one don't think so and I'm not into conspiracy theories.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sounds like one, I am going to buy shares in a tin mine so I can get triple lined tinfoil anti conspiracy hats at discount prices. :D

Will you consider shipping to the U.K?

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If we are referring to Lorcaserin I read " 4kg in 40 months lost"
Really? To be fair I could lose that with a decent ****.
40 months? At a cost of £8000 ish?
How is that even news?

Reactions: zand and kitedoc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And it is being pushed by experts for being available on the NHS as a solution to the obesity epidemic.

Grandson has lost over a stone in four weeks non of it muscle by maintaining ketosis but a pill makes everything so easy weight loss without effort via a magic pill.

Reactions: kitedoc

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You could be right. The WFPB / Vegan and status quo hierarchy are definitely coordinated in saying LCHF / Keto may work in the short term but.... In some ways this is like an Android vs Apple vs Microsoft vs Google, in that some have made up their minds, but there is a big middle ground to play for, with any tactics that can be used. There are persons like me who would have done ANY protocol that we feel would work for our situation. I know long lived people have eaten meat and fish also, so how are you going to persuade me to turn my back on this. A well known if not the best known breakfast cereal maker released a new health breakfast bar recently, still over 70 grams of carbs per 100, sooooo arrogant and disrespectful to the health of their audience - no one can tell me they don't understand the implications of such a high sugar bar.

I have eaten meat, fish and dairy during my reversal so how can you tell me this causes Type 2, when I see 1000's of anecdotes that are the same. Type 2's are some of the most tested persons around, from what I have seen LCHF /Keto / IF / Exercise (for some) produces exceptional results whether diabetic or not.

Reactions: kitedoc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
From the profits our nephew made from his investment in Granola
Sounds like one, I am going to buy shares in a tin mine so I can get triple lined tinfoil anti conspiracy hats at discount prices. :D

Well a nephew of ours bought shares in a granola company and was able to buy a holiday villa in Italy so who knows tin mining is definitely making a come back.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If we are referring to Lorcaserin I read " 4kg in 40 months lost"
Really? To be fair I could lose that with a decent ****.
40 months? At a cost of £8000 ish?
How is that even news?
By great PR and lowering the bar as to what is considered success. The same type of PR that meant if you didn't consume bacon and similar your chance of colorectal cancer was say 5 in 5000, that by consuming around 50 grams of bacon everyday could raise this risk to 6 in 5000; because of the slight of hand this was put to the public as an 18% increase in risk (when actually it was 1% if you believed the shaky data). This scare mongering has worked to harm the reputation in the general public.

Reactions: zand and kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Tipetoo, You might need to travel back in time to the era of Poldark to find a tin mine !!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . so called experts pushing a spurious report that low carb or ketonic diets that though can help lose weight and in many cases reverse diabetes

Trouble is they are experts and the report isn't spurious. However, the method they chose to get people to "guesstimate" their food intake is questionable. Also if they consider 4600 calories per day "not extreme" were they looking at a lot of very active sporty people requiring that sort of calorie intake? My RMR is 2300 and I don't usually go over 1200.

And then on the other hand a load of so called experts pushing a new weight loss wonder drug. That will make the drug companies millions

I've been doing all the right things to lose weight (is calorie reduction really the right thing?) without much success. I don't seem to be able to explain sudden weight gain when I'm not eating more and when I do lose it seems to come out of the blue. GP says my metabolism is broken but has been unable to advise me or prescribe anything to "fix it". Dexedrine is a possibility and as much as I'm not 100% in favour, if it changed my metabolism, I'd give it a go. Maybe this new drug would be suitable?

I'm not into conspiracy theories.

I'm not keen on conspiracy theories, I love reading them, but try to ignore them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Some of the side effects of this drug are:

Common Side Effects of Belviq (Lorcaserin)
You should tell your doctor if any of the following side effects become severe or don't go away:

Excessive fatigue
Constipation
Dry mouth
Headache
Dizziness
Pain in your back
Muscle pain
Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
Cough
Anxiety
Painful, difficult, or frequent urination
Toothache
Dry eyes
Blurred vision or other vision changes

Serious Side Effects of Belviq
Call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following serious side effects:

Confusion
Coordination difficulties
Agitation
Depression
Suicidal thoughts or actions
Feeling high or unusually happy
Feeling as though you are outside your body
Hallucinations
Restlessness
Difficulty paying attention or remembering information
Muscle spasms, stiffness, or twitching
Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
Swelling of your hands, arms, feet, or legs
Sweating
Fever
Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
Difficulty breathing
An erection that lasts longer than four hours
Breast discharge
Breast enlargement in males

Interactions:
Bupropion (Aplenzin, Forfivo, Wellbutrin, Zyban)
Cabergoline (Caberlin, Dostinex, Cabaser)
Codeine (in some pain medications and cough medications)
Dextromethorphan (in cough and cold medications)
Flecainide (Tambocor)
Insulin and other medications for diabetes
Linezolid (Zyvox)
Lithium (Lithobid)
Medications for erectile dysfunction
Drugs for mental illness
Medications for migraine headaches, such as almotriptan (Axert), eletriptan (Relpax), frovatriptan (Frova), naratriptan (Amerge, Naramig), rizatriptan (Maxalt), sumatriptan (Imitrex), and zolmitriptan (Zomig)
Other medicines for weight loss
Metoprolol (Toprol)
Mexiletine (Mexitil)
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), including isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), and tranylcypromine (Parnate)
Odansetron (Zofran)
Propafenone (Rythmol)
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, in Symbyax), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), and sertraline (Zoloft)
Selective serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), such as duloxetine (Cymbalta) and venlafaxine (Effexor)
Tamoxifen (Nolvadex, Soltamox)
Timolol (Blocadren)
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine (Asendin), clomipramine (Anafranil), desipramine (Norpramin), doxepin (Silenor), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor), protriptyline (Vivactil), and trimipramine (Surmontil)
Tramadol (ConZip, Ultram, Ryzolt, Rybix ODT)
St. John's wort
Tryptophan

It also can cause drowsiness and interfere with your ability to drive.

Yes still could be worth a try if you have no alternative and things like low carb diets don't work for you I suppose.

Still seems to me that they who ever they are, want to push this while warning people off alternatives like LCHF.