Glueton Free

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who eat crisps in the cinema, anyone who dislikes animals.
I find it really difficult to get my blood sugars higher than 4 when having my glueton free, lactose free, meal at night, my bs hit between 4 - 8 before my meal, I have to wait at least half hour before taking just two units of insulin, but still get hypo, can anyone please suggest a good glueton free meal that contains some carbs. Thanks in advance

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are you having to eat when this is happening?
What is your insulin regime and are you carb counting and adjusting accordingly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it really difficult to get my blood sugars higher than 4 when having my glueton free, lactose free, meal at night, my bs hit between 4 - 8 before my meal, I have to wait at least half hour before taking just two units of insulin, but still get hypo, can anyone please suggest a good glueton free meal that contains some carbs. Thanks in advance

I'm not T1, but I am gluten free, as are several others on the forum.

I tend to agree with @Rokaab that it would be helpful to have an idea of what you're eating, and also what you like to eat so that any suggestions could be more relevant. Could I also just ask you to confirm if you feel comfortable adjusting your insulin doses on a meal-by-meal basis.

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What are you having to eat when this is happening?
What is your insulin regime and are you carb counting and adjusting accordingly.
Hiya rokaab, glueton free bread with eggs, or banana with Gf yoghurt, after breakfast normally hypo no matter what I eat, even Gf flakes, lactose free milk, dropped my insulin short acting and long acting down, but struggle to get bs above 6 most of the time, I can't eat much but I do eat, I just find gf foods really hard to balance with insulin. The doc nurses are a great help support, but I know my diabetes more, just struggling a bit. Thanks for your input, appreciate it, I eat meals via the fodmap diet, so difficult, it all tastes ****, but I feel so so much better for it.

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not T1, but I am gluten free, as are several others on the forum.

I tend to agree with @Rokaab that it would be helpful to have an idea of what you're eating, and also what you like to eat so that any suggestions could be more relevant. Could I also just ask you to confirm if you feel comfortable adjusting your insulin doses on a meal-by-meal basis.
Thanks I do, 40 years T1D, the fodmap diet I'm following it's just hard to carb count, I use the old format of exchanges, but it's difficult because there's not much carbs in fodmap diet, I'm finding via talking about it, my insulin works lot faster than the flood takes to digest, maybe I should wait longer before I take insulin, my HB1 was 6, few weeks ago, I have about three hypos daily my insulin regeim was 12, and 12 long acting, and short acting, 6, 8, 10, now I'm down too, 7, 7 LA 1, 2, SA, I been diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction of the nervous system, I so so appreciate any help or advice, thanks in advance

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I do, 40 years T1D, the fodmap diet I'm following it's just hard to carb count, I use the old format of exchanges, but it's difficult because there's not much carbs in fodmap diet, I'm finding via talking about it, my insulin works lot faster than the flood takes to digest, maybe I should wait longer before I take insulin, my HB1 was 6, few weeks ago, I have about three hypos daily my insulin regeim was 12, and 12 long acting, and short acting, 6, 8, 10, now I'm down too, 7, 7 LA 1, 2, SA, I been diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction of the nervous system, I so so appreciate any help or advice, thanks in advance

Carolann - I'll ask my colleague @Juicyj if she has any ideas.

Are you a diagnosed Coeliac, or have some other condition requiring the GF lifestyle? Do you use gluten free alternatives for things like bread pasta and so on?

How long have you been GF, and, on average, roughly how many gramms of carb do you have a day?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not sure why you are on insulin if you are not type1.

The response from person doesn’t necessarily mean the person responding is t1, but that they eat gluten free etc.... you do not have to be type 1 to use insulin either, some T2’s are insulin dependent.

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I only use Gf food pasta etc, , I normally would have about 4 exchanges in morning, 6 or 8 exhanges for dinnerand about two snacks of 2 exchanges daily, I have no other illnesses, my fodmap diet glueton free, decafe etc, is advise from my diabetic doc, due to permanently being sick, like having noroviros three times a week, since my new diet, I'm glad to say sickness has stopped and feel so much better, but everything I eat must be GF chips, bread, pasta, crisps, fruit, veg, and I feel great, just finding hard to find carbs in Gf.

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I only use Gf food pasta etc, , I normally would have about 4 exchanges in morning, 6 or 8 exhanges for dinnerand about two snacks of 2 exchanges daily, I have no other illnesses, my fodmap diet glueton free, decafe etc, is advise from my diabetic doc, due to permanently being sick, like having noroviros three times a week, since my new diet, I'm glad to say sickness has stopped and feel so much better, but everything I eat must be GF chips, bread, pasta, crisps, fruit, veg, and I feel great, just finding hard to find carbs in Gf.
Only been on this diet about five or six MTH.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I don't know what an exchange represents (I don't ever remember using exchanges in my 40 years of T1D :)), but I do carb count, and oddly I found that gluten free bread and pizza I have to use a different carb ratio for than rice or potatoes (naturally GF) at least at dinner time - my normal ratio is 1:5, but for GF bread or pizza I have to use 1:10 otherwise there is a lot of required sweet eating later, maybe it's something like that - but I'm only speculating.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only been on this diet about five or six MTH.

Am I correct in understanding one exchange unit is around 10gr carb?

If you hypo regularly, after your preferred evening meal, taking your standard insulin dose,have you ever considered taking alittle less insulin?

As a non-T1, obviously I'm not making that as a recommendation, I'm just trying to look at things as simply as possible.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have given up using the carb values given on packs of GF bread, pasta etc, as I always went hypo later. If there is supposed to be 15g carbs in a very small slice of GF bread, I call it 10g carbs, as a similar sized slice of normal bread would only be around 10g. It works for me but I don't understand why. I just presume that carbs in pea flour etc must be absorbed differently from wheat flour, and don't affect my blood sugar to the same extent.