nurofen

bedshaped2000

earlier this week ive had a man cold and because i felt lowsey i started to take nurofen cold and flu. i also developed a lowsey migrane for the rest of the night but i couldnt test because i was on the rd working so i assumed that the cold was getting worse so i carried on with the nurofen every 4 hours as stated. next morning i woke up shaking migrane and generally feeling lowsey. when i tested my sugars they were a little higher than normal but after my normal breakfast my sugars stayed up to 7.0 and lasted for about 5 hours. now i normally run on 5.5 after 2 hrs of eating all the time. i stopped the nurofen and my headache went and my sugars came down to normal. now i no i should have checked the packet but it says consult doctor if you have diabetes etc. does anyone know why . i am very tightly controlled by diet and exercise and it was deffenatly the nurofen that made me high and gave me the hedache. stupid considering that you take nurofen to get rid of the hedache and you end up going higher. anyone else had the same or did i have a 24 hr fluke cold

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The reason it says to consult your Gp is because many medications whether prescribed or as here OTC can somertimes interact with other drugs. Therefore it is always best to check with either your GP or a Pharmacist.

I doubt that the Nurofen, which is actually Ibuprofen, will have had much, probably minimal if any effect on your Bg levels......the reason they will have fluctuated is probably because when you are ill or have any sort of infection that is what will affect the BG levels. I take Ibuprofen regularly and it has no effect on Bg levels at all. :) Any sugar coatings etc will not be significant, unless you down hundreds of the things......not recommended !!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's always best to ask your gp or pharmacist before taking over the counter medicine bedshaped, not sure if the nurofen was responsible but being ill with a cold does push-up blood glucose so this may explain your higher readings.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would ask the pharmacist. They know and they have the software to check AND you often buy the medicine from them. GPs usually have to look everything up.
Hana

DermPlan

Doesn't affect blood glucose levels but can affect renal (kidney) function which can be a problem as some diabetic patients may already be impaired in this regard.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I have had a particularly nasty viral infection despite having the double flu jab, however as an observation neither the infection nor the medication I took (Annadin Extra) had any effect on my bg's.

All the best - Steve

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I asked the pharamist before giving my son cold and flu relief and the main problem is that it can make you drowsy. The biggest concern was that someone would oversleep so badly that they wouldn't be testing, taking insulin or able to treat their own hypo etc...If the tablets you took were cold and flu and not just headache tablets they could make you dehydrated and that would give you headaches. Were they just Ibuprofen or did they also contain Phenyllephidrine?

I had exactly the same bg change but no headache. Mine was for a pulled muscle. GP and Diabetic Consultant said they had never heard of it. GP suggested Coproximal or similar name but it is not a anti inflamatory.

So now we have a list of at least two.

tricia

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't know about Nurofen brand specifically, but many ibuprofen tablets have sugar in the coating. Always read the small print.

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
I think I also read somewhere that the Cold and Flu version of Nurofen contains Pseudophenedrine which may give your blood sugars a rise. I certainly found that when I was using it recently (that, and a combination of being ill).

Anyway I see your post is pretty old..hope you are feeling better now :D

Clare

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi
i have just been put onto nurofen for a different reason as yours i take them breakfast, Lunch,dinner. I asked my Gp if it was ok for a diabetic person to take them alongside my usual meds .No problems was here reply.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Nurofen is basically Ibuprofen

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/ingredients.php

Nurofen is a anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) family
Doctors normally Dont like you taking this long term 24/7 months at a time
as long-term use, can have serious complications like ulcers, bleeding from your gastrointestinal tract, and kidney damage.

To deal with a cold or injury short time it would likely be approved by your GP

Always Always Ask Doctor or pharmacist

NSAIDs can cause or worsen the following conditions:

* Cardiovascular: Evidence from large research trials has showed increased rates of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events and heart attacks in patients taking NSAIDs.
* High blood pressure: NSAIDs can increase blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, check with your doctor before using NSAIDs, especially if you take blood pressure lowering medication.
* Kidney disease: NSAIDs can cause kidney damage. If you already have any type of kidney disease, don't use NSAIDs. If while taking an NSAID, you develop sudden weight gain or fluid retention (for example, you notice swelling in your legs), notify your doctor right away.

* Diabetes: NSAIDs can cause a change in blood sugar. Check with your doctor before using NSAIDs if you have diabetes. You may still be able to use them, but you may need to follow your blood sugars closely and, with the help of your doctor, adjust your diabetes medications appropriately.
reff:
http://adam.about.net/care/backandneck/Drug-treatment-NSAIDs.htm

Ref: BNF 61
IBUPROFEN
NSAIDs possibly enhance effects of sulfonylureas (BG levels) Glicazide is
a sulfonylurea
Renal impairment
NSAIDs should be avoided if possible or used with caution in patients with renal impairment; the lowest effective dose should be used for the shortest possible duration, and renal function should be monitored. Sodium and water retention may occur and renal function may deteriorate, possibly leading to renal failure; deterioration in renal function has also been reported after topical use; see also individual drugs.

Hepatic impairment
NSAIDs should be used with caution in patients with hepatic impairment; there is an increased risk of gastro-intestinal bleeding and fluid retention. NSAIDs should be avoided in severe liver disease; see also individual drugs.