Just got my Contour USB

Wattsicle

Bayer Contour USB Help???

I recently bought the Bayer Contour USB and the product itself feels and looks fantastic however, I cannot get the software to work on my laptop!! I am running Windows 7, I have downloaded and installed the software 3 times and it still does not work. I have spent hours on the Bayer Website and general web searches looking for help but to no avail.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: Bayer Contour USB Help???

I should contact Bayer. This could be an issue with Windows 7. I believe a lot of applications do not yet work with this.

Wattsicle

Yes, I am going to ring them on Monday but I have read several times their customer support is poor to say the least. I was hoping someone using this forum may of experienced a similar issue.

Thanks

dib

I have read elsewhere on this site (product reviews?) that it won't work with windows 7. I still use XP SP3 and it is fine.

Niamh's Mum

Contour USB

Hi, I have a 12 year old daughter who's just been given a contour USB meter at our last hospital appointment. Been using it since Tuesday without a problem (very impressed!). The meter is fully charged and she's just gone to test her blood and inserted a test strip and nothing illuminated as it normally does. Tried a different strip and even tried recharging the meter but nothing. It will turn on/off but doesn't want to test blood! Has anyone else experienced similar with the same meter as I'm sure it's just something we've done/pressed.....

Thanks, Gayle

Richy

Did you get it working?

I have a Contour USB, and it worked fine with my WIndows 7 Ultimate.

I did download the s/w from the bayer site, and installed it before i got the meter. I guess this ensured I got the latest s/w should it have changed.

I do note from this location
http://www.bayerdiabetes.co.uk/sections ... urusb/FAQs

that there is a note about using the latest version of Java.

Regards

Richard

Gazhay

Hi,

I find the strips need to be insert correctly too, any slight angle makes a difference.

Also, the device does not like the cold. (Like a lot of electronics) If it has gotten cold, warm it up and try it again later.

steamerdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
veg
Ive just got mine er yesterday now, on first impresions it seems a tidy piece of kit, managed to get all the software runing & with windows 7. Have sat here tonight putting the readings from my old meter in to the logbook fot the last 2 weeks as manual entries and the detail on the charts is now coming to life and I can see where I am as regards control. Seems to be well worth the 20 sovs at the moment, good investment? Definately

Dave

j666gak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also made the jump from Accu to the Contour USB, and initialy I am very happy! As I work in IT and like gadgets, it really is well designed for me :)

Also I think anything to get people testing is a good thing!

Guy

j666gak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't know if you are having the same problem? but if you are it may be worthing checking the version of Java that you have installed/enabled, and if that is ok I would remove the driver and then re-install the software before pluging the device back in.

Guy

faircot

I like the specs of the Contour USB and I'm tempted to buy one. However, I can't see anywhere to buy spare strips for emergencies if necessary: they seem to be available only on prescription and Bayer's helpline is always busy with a queue.

ATM I'm using an Abbott Freestyle and they'll sell a box direct for around £14. If the cost of the Bayer strips is compatible I should be able to persuade my GP to alter my scrip without him having a hissy fit!

Snodger

have been reading this thread and the contour site, and have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to.
What does the meter come with in terms of pack/carry bag etc? One of my concerns is that I would lose it, it's so small. Or the other way about, that it would be easy to carry around but the test strips would negate all of that as they are in a cylindrical pack, which I find less easy to find a place for than my nice flat pack of current (Abbott) strips.

can anyone advise?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Faircot - loads of contour test strips on ebay

steamerdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
veg
Faircot
I changed from a Glucotrend to the Contour USB, when I was in the quacks Dr went bolistic when she looked up the cost of the strips, they cost £15 then she looked up what I was using and they were the same so she bit her lip and changed my prescription without any further nonsense. Just as well she is not my regular GP cos he would have just swapped without a word, couldnt want for a nicer guy.
Reading back on some of the other post's there seem to be a few complaints about customer service at Bayer, after 3 weeks use my USB would not download to the pc, an error message kept coming up. I phoned Bayer and was prompted to leave a message on an answerphone, within half an hour a lady calls back asked what the problem was then said the USB reader was knackered and another would be sent out. Next morning one USB comes through the letterbox so I am still well pleased with my new reader and having the graphs to look at as they grow seems to spur me on.
Snodger the USB comes with 25 strips to get you started and the same for the lancets, its all in a nice carry case that I can slip in my pocket no problem. When you first recieve it you go on line and order a wall charger, protective sleeve and a small diary like book to note readings in should you want to, all free by the way.
I recomend this Gizmo to anybody

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i like the Contour USB and not had a problem with it, its also handy as it can be used as a small usb memory stick.. also if you register it on the BAYER website you can get a free wall charge and even a silicone skin for it

i have however moved over to the Wavesense jazz, which i currently prefer, they were also willing to post me more than 1 meter free of charge, and from what i understand the wavesense strips cost the NHS less than most others

faircot

@ steamerdave & Searley

I've given up the idea of changing to a Bayer meter mainly because it's impossible to speak to anyone on their care number. and that doesn't bode well if there are problems. I must have tried on at least twelve occasions over the past few days and each time, after navigating the phone menu I get a "sorry, all our advisors are busy etc".

By contrast Abbott's team always answer their phones immediately and are well trained and helpful. Silly to change for what is a minor upgrade.