Liver function worry.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, found my way back onto this website, it's a great reference whenever I need some help.

Now I'm calling upon the collective help of you lot lol!

A few weeks ago I had to take myself up to the out-of-hours doctor due to me having pain and discomfort when urinating. Never had this problem before, was diagnosed with a urine infection. Whacked on some antibiotics and it quickly went away, although it still doesnt feel 100%

At the same time I had been to my GP and he suggested blood and urine tests, the worrying thing is that the first test came back with an elevated liver function. Never had any bother with my liver and the GP asked if I was a heavy drinker, which I would lucky to polish off a pint a month! I had another test done and the GP said I might just have a higher natural function, I rang up to get my results from my last test and the nurse recommended I visit the GP again (today.)

Very paranoid & worried as to what this problem could be. Does anyone know/has previous experience?

Many thanks for looking. Alan

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sorry düb I dont have any info for you but just wanted to wish you well for your doctors appointment, try not to worry before you have seen the doc, it may be nothing more than an infection :D

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
You will not know until tests are done and if they are still high they may want to do an ultrasound. The only way to really tell if your liver is (failing) is to do a liver biopsy. It’s not easy but try not to worry about it.

john1

Wow this is almost exactly the same as me.
I am waiting for an ultrasound after registering high liver enzymes. I was told it could be a fatty liver,which can be linked with diabetes,which you have but i dont,so therefore maybe nothing to worry about.
May be just a change of diet or something equally simple.
Good luck.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. I went to the GP and he let me see the results, on his system the gamma rating, which is the one that was concerning him was raised, it should normally be 8-61 and it was 78, the last blood test showed 178, which surprised me a lot.

I was told that I would need another blood test in 4-6 weeks, not pleased leaving it that long but what can I do? Was told that if the high rating persists an ultrasound will have to done.

randomange

When I had elevated liver tests, my GP ran a battery of blood tests, and had me back in two weeks for repeat liver function tests. When they were still high, I was booked in for an ultrasound and a referral to the liver clinic at the hospital. I had the ultrasound within four weeks of the initial high reading and an appointment to see a consultant two weeks after that.

Granted, all of my liver function tests came back elevated, which may explain why I was seen so quickly, but my numbers started a little bit elevated (about 3 - 4 times what they should be), and had risen to severely elevated (about 20 times) within six weeks, at which time I started feeling very ill.

I was subsequently diagnosed with a fairly rare autoimmune liver disease, and I doubt that's what you have, but I would still try and push for a faster follow up if it's possible. There are ways of speeding things up - for example my GP had sent the referral to the liver clinic when she had the first results as it can take up to two months to get a referral.

lilybet

I visited my GP yesterday for the results of my fasting blood test. The last one was one year ago.
The good news was that my average blood sugar level was 6, as opposed to 12, a year ago.
My cholestorol was normal, whereas it was too high previously.
However, I was informed that my liver showed elevated enzymes at double what they should be.
It has come down since last year. I take 1 x 20mg simvastatin, and was told by the GP to half the dose as there are links to the drug causing raised liver function readings.
I have lost 2 stones in weight since diagnosis and do not drink alcohol, so I am worried about the possibility of liver problems.
However, my GP could not suggest any ways of combating this development other than exercising more!
He wants me to come back in three months for another fasting test to see how halving the simvastatin has affected the results.
I would appreciate any suggestions from members regarding what I can do to help my poor liver!
I also take 3 metformin SR, 2 Gliclazide per day.
Thanks

john1

I've just had a liver scan today after having high liver enzymes and have been told I've got a fatty liver.
I've read this can be a precursor or even a sign of type 2 diabetes so I will see how my Glucose Tolerance Test goes on thursday.

Going 6 hours without food was a difficult task,even for me being a non diabetic and eating after all that time made me very tired and I had to have a nap.
I'm feeling like I'm in my 60's rather than 40's at the moment. :D

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might as well get back to a thread I started a while ago.

Feeling a lot better currently. From what the blood/urine tests said it appears as though the antibiotics the out-of-hours doctor put me on for the urine infection knocked my liver for six.

The current gamma gt levels have dropped back down now to just 1 or 2 above average and my GP is happy with that, phew :)

PickledPepper

What tests and results are you guys getting?

I'm worried about my liver and kidneys too.

Sometimes I think the doc just ignores borderline high readings. I think that attitude is pretty crass, I'd rather they acted in a preventative fashion rather than waiting for things to go 'belly up' before taking more drastic and costly action.