Taking wrong insulin

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My mum did that once! 30 units of novo instead of mixtard (which i don't think is an insulin anymore... ) I was 7 and thought it was the ebst day ever, when my mum took me to the shop, stood me in front of the sweets aisle and told me I could get anything I want. Stayed home from school that morning and was totally fine :)

MrBen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have not taken wrong insulin. But did get a misread when running a marathon - glucose gel on thumb. Said 29. So took 9 units of novorapid. Realised about 8 mins later that it was 3.5. Insulin works better when you run so I had ..... 14 gel shots (20g glucose) 5 bottles lucozade sport, 4 hike bars, 2 pure apple bars - my blood sugar stayed below 4 for 14 of the last 18 miles of the run. Got up to 7 when I finished - 4hr 34min. Next time no mistakes and ran 3 hr 40.

Reactions: kitedoc and WuTwo

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took novorapid instead of lantus not long after diagnosis. I was only on about 2 units of novorapid per meal at the time so an 8 unit shot before bed wasn't great. Luckily my hubbie had bought himself a packet of 4 crunchie bars earlier that day and not eaten any of them

Reactions: kitedoc

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh yes, I’ve occasionally, very occasionally, mixed them up. The wasted time watching bloods and all the stuff eaten fades into history even though panic’s high in the moment.

Reactions: kitedoc

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Mum for her last few years was in a care home where a District Nurse came to do her insulin injections 3 x times a day. I have lost count of the times where they either missed one out altogether or gave her an extra lunchtime dose of lantus when it should only have been novarapid. I had to accompany her to hospital because of this and sit there for hours whilst she was monitored.

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I was at work as security doing night shift and i was alone. Was the scariest thing ever

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yep. I'm a repeat offender - and I have different colour pens .... and I still get it wrong. It's usually the basal I double up on, and I have occasionally taken basal instead of quick-acting. Luckily they replaced my old Novopen Echo where my battery had run out on the little end thingy, and now I can check it and see time of last dose again. That's a help.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Compared to yesteryear when the only easy way was taping extra signage etc on the vials of insulin and use of an alarm clock in the house to help one remember when and what insulin was required, one would think that with all the modern tech available now that diabetes societies, insulin manufacturers, drug and device regulators etc would have worked out more reliable safegaurds for all insulins and pens etc. to prevent or minimise this trouble.
I am waiting for insulin vials, and pens to have a gadget attached which says: " you have taken some insulin out ( or injected this insulin) just 40 minutes ago.
Please check what you are doing".
A dalek-like voice might get more attention than others!

Reactions: WuTwo