Alcohol/sickness/metformin Etc...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again folks, trying to see if anyone can shed some light/had a similar experience...
Last night between 1800-2100 I drank 3 glasses of red wine. I’m also taking metformin/ramipril/atorvastatin. I went to bed approx 2200, and I woke up at 2330. When I woke up, I was dripping with sweat, feeling terrible/sick/generally REALLY ill. Blood sugars were in range, but I didn’t test ketones (oops) as it didn’t even enter my mind. Within about 5 mins of trying to get back to sleep, I had to run to the toilet and spent about 20 minutes throwing up.
Obviously I’d drank alcohol, but for me this was nowhere near enough to make me sick (I wasn’t behaving drunk, ie staggering or slurring etc, and felt quite ‘normal’ going to bed).
I used to drink red wine, and never had any problems, but I don’t think I’ve drank it since I’ve been on metformin, apart from one other occasion (maybe) when I was sick in the night (same feeling etc). I didn’t make any connection at that time though.
My wife Googled about what happened and stumbled across lactic acidosis, could it be that? Due to the wine and metformin?
I won’t be drinking red again, and very hesitant to drink alcohol full stop... which is awesome
Thanks for reading if you made it this far!
Chris

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @bradley_smasher, Perhaps the combo of Metformin and wine went past the stomach sensitivity tolerance marker. Unpleasant reminder of one of the downsides to alcohol. As you are listed as Type 1 I assume you are on insulin also and so need to be aware that alcohol prevents the release of stored glucose from the liver during a hypo.
Best Reci=overy Wishes. You would need to ask your doc about what lactic acidosis means.

Reactions: bradley_smasher

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I personally cant take metformin as it goes straight through me and as for metformin prolonged release it make ill to the point i dont no what to do with myself.

Ive been on Gliclazide all this year and have had gut problems and in march/April anxiety set in.
Ive stopped taking them as my doc put me on another drug to balance things out but that drug makes me sleepy, ...ridiculous.

So im just watching the carbs and my main goal is to loose weight period

Reactions: bradley_smasher
M

Moggely

I gave up alcohol when diagnosed over 6 months ago. T2. However, we went away for a break a couple of months ago and had a few bottles and oh boy i was sick. Seems my body can't take it anymore which is a good thing. I know nothing about T1 or insulin so wouldn't know what a person does in those situations but others would of course. @steveis36 . Same here with Metformin. Just went diet and exercise./

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, type 2 here. I was taken off metformin due to lactic acidosis after being on it for some years. The symptoms built up over a few days and did not include sickness etc.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
You might like to familiarise your self with "disulfiram-like reaction."
It has always been my understanding that is to blame rather than lactic acidosis, in alcohol + metformin.
Can't throw any light on why so suddenly, except Sod's Law.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317311.php

Last edited:

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 here. Metformin x4 per day. Stopped drinking 18 months ago, upon diagnosis and I was a true social drinker but never thought I was drunk. (ie.had a good tolerance of alcohol)
Last few months I have the odd glass of wine, or two, but it really effects me. I feel sleepy after one glass and wake thru the night with the sweats......
it does reduce my BS slightly but I don’t think it’s worth it really.
PS.....really miss cold beer!

Gunesbulut

Hi again folks, trying to see if anyone can shed some light/had a similar experience...
Last night between 1800-2100 I drank 3 glasses of red wine. I’m also taking metformin/ramipril/atorvastatin. I went to bed approx 2200, and I woke up at 2330. When I woke up, I was dripping with sweat, feeling terrible/sick/generally REALLY ill. Blood sugars were in range, but I didn’t test ketones (oops) as it didn’t even enter my mind. Within about 5 mins of trying to get back to sleep, I had to run to the toilet and spent about 20 minutes throwing up.
Obviously I’d drank alcohol, but for me this was nowhere near enough to make me sick (I wasn’t behaving drunk, ie staggering or slurring etc, and felt quite ‘normal’ going to bed).
I used to drink red wine, and never had any problems, but I don’t think I’ve drank it since I’ve been on metformin, apart from one other occasion (maybe) when I was sick in the night (same feeling etc). I didn’t make any connection at that time though.
My wife Googled about what happened and stumbled across lactic acidosis, could it be that? Due to the wine and metformin?
I won’t be drinking red again, and very hesitant to drink alcohol full stop... which is awesome
Thanks for reading if you made it this far!
Chris

Gunesbulut

I had lactic acidosis on metformin. It’s horrible! The pain in my legs was as much as if I had ran a marathon. I was also extremely sick for a couple of years and ended up hospitalised.
That was 2 years ago I started to recover and I will never even look at metformin again.

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting thread, I'm on Metformin 2 x 500mg per day since March this year and have drunk alcohol on a social basis as per pre diagnosis and haven't noticed any issues. Does anyone know if lactic acidosis is something that someone would suffer early on in their treatment with Metformin if combined with alcohol or could it build up or strike at any time in the future? I guess i'm hoping not to have give up the social drink!

Reactions: ding79