Medtronic Enlite

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder if we have the 640g we might get a free upgrade to the 670g whether its due for replacement or not?

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those in the USA that used the 630g were given a free upgrade even when it wasn't due with their insurance so fingers crossed.

Reactions: dancer

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Warranty period is 4 years from date of purchase in Oz - assume the same worldwide. We've got an access program for upgrades from the 640g but so far only the 670g pump has been registered and we're waiting on a compatible sensor which has to be registered separately.

I'm not entirely sure how it works but according to my rep, as I've only just switched to the 640g I will probably get an "upgrade". But as yet I don't know if this will be covered by my health insurance or I would have to pay an upgrade "fee" myself.

Just got to wait for the sensor to be registered then we can talk more.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Pretty expensive then.

It depends what you compare it against and what value you would anticipate getting from the system, compared to the Enlite it's around £140 cheaper a month, and I think if I consider how much hypos can impact my quality of life, so times where we are out for the day and I have to stop and treat a hypo or cannot drive or exercise as my BG levels are going too low, then the value of being alerted so I can do something about it before it happens, then that's really important for me. I suppose it's a case of what your priorities are.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Totally agree. Pumps and CGM are expensive, there's no doubt. It's cheaper to inject, test multiple times, and deal with highs and lows as they happen. But, pumps/CGM means for me, I can avoid big highs and head off lows before I even get there. I work in the community, I can't be driving around and having to pull over to get back to stability. I can't be sat in tribunals or stuck at A&E with a psychotic patient and deal with a hypo. I can't be looking after 2 young kids and expecting them to look after themselves while Daddy's in a mess.

I might add up exactly what my monthly expenditure is.... Actually, no, I won't. It will probably shock me. And I'm not going back to the old way, so I'll just suck up the cost! haha :D

Reactions: Juicyj

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I have the 640g and Enlite. I find the connection between the pump and sensor fails much to often to trust it (it used to fail 2x a day). After a monumental fight with 100's of photos, meeting with their rep set up by my pump educator, numerous calls and emails they finally replaced the transmitter and the pump (refurbished pump) it now only fails 2 - 3 x a week and is off line for about 40 min each time, so I don't use the suspend on low function. It works well (when it works).

In Australia they are providing a AU$600 upgrade for the new 670g. I'm paying the $600, but I don't know if I will take up the offer as you get a loan pump that they will demand back once your pump (that you no longer have as I'm certain they will want your pump back) hits 4 years. I know I will have a fight with my health insurance for at least 6 months to get approval, and I don't want to be without a pump for that long.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Totally agree. Pumps and CGM are expensive, there's no doubt. It's cheaper to inject, test multiple times, and deal with highs and lows as they happen. But, pumps/CGM means for me, I can avoid big highs and head off lows before I even get there. I work in the community, I can't be driving around and having to pull over to get back to stability. I can't be sat in tribunals or stuck at A&E with a psychotic patient and deal with a hypo. I can't be looking after 2 young kids and expecting them to look after themselves while Daddy's in a mess.

I might add up exactly what my monthly expenditure is.... Actually, no, I won't. It will probably shock me. And I'm not going back to the old way, so I'll just suck up the cost! haha :D
Makes life much much easier than the similar situations I faced in a medical career sans pump !!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have the 640g and Enlite. I find the connection between the pump and sensor fails much to often to trust it (it used to fail 2x a day). After a monumental fight with 100's of photos, meeting with their rep set up by my pump educator, numerous calls and emails they finally replaced the transmitter and the pump (refurbished pump) it now only fails 2 - 3 x a week and is off line for about 40 min each time, so I don't use the suspend on low function. It works well (when it works).

In Australia they are providing a AU$600 upgrade for the new 670g. I'm paying the $600, but I don't know if I will take up the offer as you get a loan pump that they will demand back once your pump (that you no longer have as I'm certain they will want your pump back) hits 4 years. I know I will have a fight with my health insurance for at least 6 months to get approval, and I don't want to be without a pump for that long.

That's unfortunate you've had so many issues. Is the $600 upgrade the new technology insurance thing? I'm getting all kinds of info. My nurse says only people who bought the pump in Sept/Oct will get an upgrade, but my contact at Medtronic says that I would get an upgrade as my purchase was so recent. She just can't tell me when the new sensors will be approved - I'm not sure what would be so new or different requiring a completely different sensor?

Where in Oz are you? (Waves from WA!)

Reactions: porl69 and Bluey1

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Where in Oz are you? (Waves from WA!)
I'm in Melb, but work has relocated me to Bris for a number of months. I'm treating the $600 as insurance