Contour Next One

barb5751

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was fortunate enough to get a Contour Next One meter free via Diabetes UK. Filled in a form on Diabetes UK website and didnt think anymore about it until a couple of months later the meter turned up. Really pleased with it as it has features that my standard original NHS one didn't have, one of which is 2nd chance testing where if you haven't got enough blood on the strip you are able to add some more, plus it has coloured lights where when your results come up, if they are normal it turns green, if you are hypo it turns red and if you are hyper it turns yellow. I love anything gadgety so this appeals to me. Also most phone cables connect it to the computer. I just had to download the appropriate programme onto the computer and I'm able to print out the results for my Consultant Endocrinologist and Dietitian.
Imagine my delight when I went to see the nurse at my surgery requesting test strips for this new machine to find she was able to prescribe them for me which is great as I paid nearly £15 for a box of 50 and got 200 free on repeat prescription as I am a lady of a "certain age" ie. old
For once the NHS have worked in my favour. Yay.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I was fortunate enough to get a Contour Next One meter free via Diabetes UK. Filled in a form on Diabetes UK website and didnt think anymore about it until a couple of months later the meter turned up. Really pleased with it as it has features that my standard original NHS one didn't have, one of which is 2nd chance testing where if you haven't got enough blood on the strip you are able to add some more, plus it has coloured lights where when your results come up, if they are normal it turns green, if you are hypo it turns red and if you are hyper it turns yellow. I love anything gadgety so this appeals to me. Also most phone cables connect it to the computer. I just had to download the appropriate programme onto the computer and I'm able to print out the results for my Consultant Endocrinologist and Dietitian.
Imagine my delight when I went to see the nurse at my surgery requesting test strips for this new machine to find she was able to prescribe them for me which is great as I paid nearly £15 for a box of 50 and got 200 free on repeat prescription as I am a lady of a "certain age" ie. old
I got one of these free too but I have to buy my own strips. Apparently my PCT won't fund the strips.

I find it reads about 2 mmol higher than the BGM I was given by the DN. They gave me the GlucoRX.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Contour Next range have been tested and shown to be the most accurate meters vs venous blood tested on the YSI machines.

I'd suspect that the issue is with your GLucoRX @XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Contour Next range have been tested and shown to be the most accurate meters vs venous blood tested on the YSI machines.

Thanks for that.. it is the second BGM that my diabetic clinic have given me. The first one was totally unreliable and in the bin.

What is a YSI machine?

JanieMc

I suspect not. I’m really fed up of hearing how the Contour Next has been tested as the most accurate for results. Mine also runs 2 or 3 mmol higher than my other 3 machines that I still have testing sticks for.
Most interestingly, I was in hospital for surgery last week. I took three testers in total including the Contour next. However the hospital was also using its own machine just because that’s the one they trust. I’m not too worried which one they want to use but I was horrified to find that every single time, the Contour next ran higher by 2-3 mmol. All of the other machines agreed on readings within 1 mmol. Now I’m back at home. This morning my reading off 2 other machines was 6.3 and 7.1. The Contour read 12.1.
That’s a massive difference.
To correct or not to correct, that’s the problem now. Which is the most dangerous? I’ve been doing this for 45 years and I know that I don’t go hypo at 5.2. I do at 3ish which is what my other readings came in at. I’m really tired of being given the simplistic answer that my other machine must be at fault. What, all three? And the hospital one too?
I don’t think so. I do think that I don’t trust the Contour next. The self test liquid showed that it was performing in range. It seems that there is nothing I can do to make anyone listen.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I suspect not. I’m really fed up of hearing how the Contour Next has been tested as the most accurate for results. Mine also runs 2 or 3 mmol higher than my other 3 machines that I still have testing sticks for.
Most interestingly, I was in hospital for surgery last week. I took three testers in total including the Contour next. However the hospital was also using its own machine just because that’s the one they trust. I’m not too worried which one they want to use but I was horrified to find that every single time, the Contour next ran higher by 2-3 mmol. All of the other machines agreed on readings within 1 mmol. Now I’m back at home. This morning my reading off 2 other machines was 6.3 and 7.1. The Contour read 12.1.
That’s a massive difference.
To correct or not to correct, that’s the problem now. Which is the most dangerous? I’ve been doing this for 45 years and I know that I don’t go hypo at 5.2. I do at 3ish which is what my other readings came in at. I’m really tired of being given the simplistic answer that my other machine must be at fault. What, all three? And the hospital one too?
I don’t think so. I do think that I don’t trust the Contour next. The self test liquid showed that it was performing in range. It seems that there is nothing I can do to make anyone listen.
I tend to agree. Even when I hardly eat anything that Contour gives me high readings. Maybe it's a con to get us to test more and as a result buy more strips which means more sales and profits for them!

Chelseagirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Lucky you! Like you I got my meter unexpectedly, via Facebook I believe! Whatever. It’s been the best meter I have had, having an iPad too makes it easy to send the diabetic nurse an upload with all my history on. This means I can see either her, or the Prof depending on the results I send. Sadly, Norfolk is way behind the times. When I asked to replace my old prescription for test strips, I was told that Norfolk do not fund “anything Bluetooth”. Think they are in the last century, or even the one before. I now have to buy my own every month. Stupid thing is, they have now upped my prescription for my other strips to 3 pots a month, where I only wanted 2 of the Contour ones so it is now costing the NHS more than I asked for. Stupidity.

barb5751

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lucky you! Like you I got my meter unexpectedly, via Facebook I believe! Whatever. It’s been the best meter I have had, having an iPad too makes it easy to send the diabetic nurse an upload with all my history on. This means I can see either her, or the Prof depending on the results I send. Sadly, Norfolk is way behind the times. When I asked to replace my old prescription for test strips, I was told that Norfolk do not fund “anything Bluetooth”. Think they are in the last century, or even the one before. I now have to buy my own every month. Stupid thing is, they have now upped my prescription for my other strips to 3 pots a month, where I only wanted 2 of the Contour ones so it is now costing the NHS more than I asked for. Stupidity.
Oh that's really bad, why does it have to be such a postcode lottery. I actually couldn't believe my luck.
Sorry for you though

Reactions: Chelseagirl 2

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that's really bad, why does it have to be such a postcode lottery. I actually couldn't believe my luck.
Sorry for you though
Sorry for you though
Everything to do with blood testing is postcode lottery, be it meters, test strips or Libre system. Despite living in the same country and paying the same taxes we get different levels of care and equipment. Absolutely shameful and disgusting!

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a Contour Next, but itsi not likely to be funded long term as they are having a big push in my health authority to get people onto basic (cheap) meters so they can provide greater funding for the Libre.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I really love the meter, by the way and find mine to be very accurate compared with my Libre and also xDrip+ software.

Chelseagirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I really love the meter, by the way and find mine to be very accurate compared with my Libre and also xDrip+ software.
I find it accurate too. U had read concerns re it’s accuracy and the DN and I did a simultaneous test with her meter and mine and they both came out the same.

As far as the Libre goes, I can’t see Norfolk touching that until at least 2050 and I will either be no longer here, or no longer care!

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
...Sadly, Norfolk is way behind the times. When I asked to replace my old prescription for test strips, I was told that Norfolk do not fund “anything Bluetooth”. Think they are in the last century, or even the one before. I now have to buy my own every month.
Ask to change your prescription to strips for the Contour Next (as opposed to the Next ONE) - it takes the same strips and is not bluetooth.

I was also lucky to receive a Contour Next One meter free , I find it very good and like you like a gadget and this works for me. Unfortunately I have to buy my own test strips which is a pain but that’s life. Won’t belong before I will be the right age for free prescriptions

Chelseagirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also lucky to receive a Contour Next One meter free , I find it very good and like you like a gadget and this works for me. Unfortunately I have to buy my own test strips which is a pain but that’s life. Won’t belong before I will be the right age for free prescriptions
Are you not getting free prescriptions as a diabetic anyway?

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone know how to get rid of the aeroplane symbol or why it's even showing in the first place?
Screenshot_20181001-115602_Contour.jpg