Teen With Type 1

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Not posted on there for a while it’s been 2 yrs 4 mths since my now 16 year old was diagnosed. He has done so well overall, had a few bad months last year in school not taking insulin and having a lot of highs but thankfully his HbA1c has always been around 7. Went for check up today and was told it has gone up to 10! He started building apprenticeship in June and is loving it but has not been injecting in front of his work mates! He is really down in dumps tonight and I hate it!! It is just a constant reminder that your son has an illness that you have no control over, it’s heart breaking watching him in pain he just wants to be a normal 16 yr old, has anyone else had children with high HbA1c? We have been told he can get this down again but think he is fed up of trying

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Jmeechan I know how hard it is for me to manage this never mind being a parent of a child and hoping the are managing it, so I sympathise fully with you there.

Can you speak to his team about getting a referral for a ump, admittedly it is not a perfect solution for his current mindset as he has to take ownership and test and bolus to make this work, however a pump allows for a more discreet approach, simply because he can test and tell his pump how many carbs he needs without the need for a public display with a pen.

I would try and dig a little deeper into his reasons first though as to why he's not a managing it, if he's in denial then a pump isn't going to work, if he is a little shy but wants to manage it then a pump could be a good solution and due to his age his opportunity to access a pump would be much easier than if he was an adult according to NICE guidelines but you will still need to fight his corner with his team first.

K

Knikki

I feel for you and your son. In some respect you have to give the medical team there due as they are only trying to help and prevent some rather unpleasant things that could happen in the later life.

I was a teenager many years ago which was the late 70 and 80's where your diabetic check up was once a year and you sat in the office, which was a case of, whats your weight, are you feeling OK, any complications No? right fine see you next year.

You can't get rid of T1D but if you live with it, embrace it, learn all its little quirks and oddities then there is no reason why your son can't live like any normal none diabetic teenager :)

Yes it is hard sometimes and can be a real royal PITA but if I can survived then so can he :)

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Hello @Jmeechan I know how hard it is for me to manage this never mind being a parent of a child and hoping the are managing it, so I sympathise fully with you there.

Can you speak to his team about getting a referral for a ump, admittedly it is not a perfect solution for his current mindset as he has to take ownership and test and inject to make this work, however a pump allows for a more discreet approach, simply because he can test and tell his pump how many carbs he needs without the need for a public display with a pen.

I would try and dig a little deeper into his reasons first though as to why he's not a managing it, if he's in denial then a pump isn't going to work, if he is a little shy but wants to manage it then a pump could be a good solution and due to his age his opportunity to access a pump would be much easier than if he was an adult according to NICE guidelines but you will still need to fight his corner with his team first.

Hi thanks I have spoken to him about pump but he isn’t keen, he ha had one counselling session but then started his apprenticeship and they times were in work place, suppose I could have a word with his employer as they are very supportive

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
I feel for you and your son. In some respect you have to give the medical team there due as they are only trying to help and prevent some rather unpleasant things that could happen in the later life.

I was a teenager many years ago which was the late 70 and 80's where your diabetic check up was once a year and you sat in the office, which was a case of, whats your weight, are you feeling OK, any complications No? right fine see you next year.

You can't get rid of T1D but if you live with it, embrace it, learn all its little quirks and oddities then there is no reason why your son can't live like any normal none diabetic teenager :)

Yes it is hard sometimes and can be a real royal PITA but if I can survived then so can he :)

I know thanks he is normally positive but think he found today hard with the harsh reality of it!

Reactions: Knikki

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
I know thanks he is normally positive but think he found today hard with the harsh reality of it!

Yes the medical team are fantastic should have mentioned that, not sure how would have got through it without the nurses

Reactions: Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jmeechan ,

OK. I'm a lot older.
I've had experience in this sort of industry. Mainly engineering these days.
Across the board. The professionals I've worked with like a hard bit of banter. Especially with an apprentice..
But underneath (and also due to the equality act in the workplace.) they will epathise & adjust to the testing & injecting.
For instance one collegue said to me while testing "AIDs test?" "Yep!" I replied, "but don't worry, you're not my type.."
Ice broke. I've found no issue with employers regarding appointments either. Most don't even want to see the letter..
Out on a delivery with a driver, "mind if I do some hard drugs?" As I bolus for lunch. He thought the meter was a mobile phone. Accepted...

A reliable grafter will gain respect. Any condition don't matter. I work with guys these days who have thier own health issues.. One of which has night epilepsy & just got his driving licence back. Guess who had the info to give the guy hope..

It's tough being 16. (I'm hoping your lad can read this thread.) stay on the right path, fight for what is essentially your health.? & it will pay off even in middle age! ;)

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @Jmeechan ,

OK. I'm a lot older.
I've had experience in this sort of industry. Mainly engineering these days.
Across the board. The professionals I've worked with like a hard bit of banter. Especially with an apprentice..
But underneath (and also due to the equality act in the workplace.) they will epathise & adjust to the testing & injecting.
For instance one collegue said to me while testing "AIDs test?" "Yep!" I replied, "but don't worry, you're not my type.."
Ice broke. I've found no issue with employers regarding appointments either. Most don't even want to see the letter..
Out on a delivery with a driver, "mind if I do some hard drugs?" As I bolus for lunch. He thought the meter was a mobile phone. Accepted...

A reliable grafter will gain respect. Any condition don't matter. I work with guys these days who have thier own health issues.. One of which has night epilepsy & just got his driving licence back. Guess who had the info to give the guy hope..

It's tough being 16. (I'm hoping your lad can read this thread.) stay on the right path, fight for what is essentially your health.? & it will pay off even in middle age! ;)

Thank you that is really encouraging! I will show him although he doesn’t know I’m on the website, I didn’t want him to think I needed support/struggling with diagnosis etc, want him to think I’m the strong one

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you that is really encouraging! I will show him although he doesn’t know I’m on the website, I didn’t want him to think I needed support/struggling with diagnosis etc, want him to think I’m the strong one

I was diagnosed back in the days of WW2 still in living memory & a "stiff upper lip?" 1976. The only "care package" at shcool was in the satchel of an 8 year old.. But my mum was strong handling what she had at that time too. I like to think she has her reward. Her kids grown up fulfilling potential with the judgment to give her dignity in her advanced years..
The support my mum had was me. Yeah, we talked during my teens. (All the stuff of mistakes you don't wish your kid to make.) I don't feel times change that much. No lad likes to see his mum upset.
Strength comes in numbers..

You can snap a twig. But a bundle is more flexible & takes the stress, when applied... :)

Wishing you & your son all the best.!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Jmeechan , sorry to hear you're all struggling. If his basal is correct and your son has a carb free lunch he wouldn't need to bolus. What sort of environment does he work in (is he on a building site?), I'm assuming he is on Basal/bolus multiple daily injections? It does get easier once you're confident enough to do what you need to do but that takes time.
Personally I still prefer to inject somewhere quiet, but now I just tell people im going to shoot up as I walk away. No one bats an eyelid. Hopefully he is supervised by someone who knows in case he needs assistance, once he has someone onside they would be able to help; maybe by asking him to get something from a van/another area? I hope you find a resolution soon.

Reactions: Jmeechan

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @Jmeechan , sorry to hear you're all struggling. If his basal is correct and your son has a carb free lunch he wouldn't need to bolus. What sort of environment does he work in (is he on a building site?), I'm assuming he is on Basal/bolus multiple daily injections? It does get easier once you're confident enough to do what you need to do but that takes time.
Personally I still prefer to inject somewhere quiet, but now I just tell people im going to shoot up as I walk away. No one bats an eyelid. Hopefully he is supervised by someone who knows in case he needs assistance, once he has someone onside they would be able to help; maybe by asking him to get something from a van/another area? I hope you find a resolution soon.

He is so hungry all the time though, yes on building site and they are all aware now and supportive, trying him on more protein. He injects novorapid with meals and Lantau at night

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi thanks I have spoken to him about pump but he isn’t keen, he ha had one counselling session but then started his apprenticeship and they times were in work place, suppose I could have a word with his employer as they are very supportive

I would be interested to know why he isn't keen ?

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
He is so hungry all the time though, yes on building site and they are all aware now and supportive, trying him on more protein. He injects novorapid with meals and Lantau at night

Sounds like things should pick up soon, his workmates may end up quite protective of him (hope so), hi @Juicyj I know we are all different but I must confess the thought of a pump makes me shudder even though my head tells me there are benefits.

Reactions: Jmeechan and Knikki

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds like things should pick up soon, his workmates may end up quite protective of him (hope so), hi @Juicyj I know we are all different but I must confess the thought of a pump makes me shudder even though my head tells me there are benefits.

I wasn’t keen once upon a time until i’d exhausted myself trying to manage on MDI, having a pump has decreased my anxiety with injections as well as made it easier to manage constant changes - and i’ve also benefited from the support of a brilliant DSN who’s kept me well and truly on track :)

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Ermintrude775

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He's 16 and got hormones like any other teenager and then his diabetes on top. It's a lot to deal with. Employers have a duty of care. I've always been open with my employers and manager even my karate instructor. Everyone has been understanding and people ask question so they have an understanding of what I need to do. At least with people knowing if he was to pass out from a low or high they will know and will be able to get the help he needs. Good luck

Reactions: Juicyj

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds as though he's scared or ashamed to 'shoot up' in front of his work mates, Jaylees #7 post is probably the sort of thing that's needed. I'd suspect that he just wants to be one of the lads and come bacon roll time and 3 sugars builders tea feels if he doen't part take or gets his testing kit and pen out he won't be accepted.

Guys on a building site work as a team, so long as he's reliable and works hard then what ever 'problem' he may have will be accepted and the mickey taken out of him just like everyone else - but when push comes to shove they'll make sure he's ok - he shouldn't feel uncomfortable doing what he needs and has to do.

Reactions: Ermintrude775