Reverting Back To Pump Advice

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just returned from a two week overseas holiday. I reverted back to pen therapy for my holiday.
I can't find the advice regarding adjustments I had to make for my pump start day.

I'm currently on a split background, am I right in thinking I'm to take half the usual dose of background then reconnect the pump and be extra vigilant until I know the background is out of my system?

Many thanks x

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ni @Picci, You really need to connect with your health team on this. There are rule of thumb formulas but we are each different in how we respond.
Perhaps stay on injections until Monday and contact your DSN etc then for the advice.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ni @Picci, You really need to connect with your health team on this. There are rule of thumb formulas but we are each different in how we respond.
Perhaps stay on injections until Monday and contact your DSN etc then for the advice.
I just need a reminder of what I did the day I started pump therapy, I've lost the email!
I believe I halved my background. I'm not waiting until Monday, I've decided to get hooked up today and run a TBR together with loads of testing until my background is out if me.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Best of luck. just remember that levemir might last 16 to 24 + hours per dose, lantus ? up to 42 hours etc.
That is why it is tricky to extrapolate from general data to a specific person.

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted Account

I'm probably a bit late for @Picci but just in case anyone reads this for future reference, I'll share my experience.
I recently returned after an enforced pump holiday.
The main advice I was given was to try to return to the pump at about the time you take your basal (slow acting insulin) to minimise basal overlap.
My slow acting insulin was Lantus and whilst the peak last no longer than 24 hours, for me, it is not completely gone for more than 48 hours. As a result I experienced more hypos than usual for the first couple of days of the switch over.
Therefore, I recommend more testing and possibly a reduced basal for the first day or so.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the end, I did half my levemir morning dose then attached my pump. Lots of testing because of two basals, but I was in good control within 24 hours

Reactions: kitedoc