Morning Levels

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, the last two weeks or so my blood levels when I wake have risen from around the 6mmol mark to a constant 8.8mmol. I have also struggled with high spikes during the day and I am taking a lot more novorapid. This coincides with two weeks off work when I am in a good routine and only see a few over 10mmol spikes a week.

Will this all be down to my honeymoon period coming to an end? Or just the fact that I have not been as physically active during my time off?

I have been spiking high after just two slices of wholemeal bread (18g carbs) even after taking 2-3 units of novorapid. I have been driving a lot and that's where I have my larger spikes, so a lot of correction doses have been given, which I worry about when driving.

I am only on 2u of Lantus at 8pm and was wondering whether to up it to 3u and help with my levels.

Sorry if it sounds a bit double dutch, but I want to get myself back on track.

Cheers John

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Jc3131, For how long have you been diagnosed with T1 diabetes?
Please note that the following is not professional opinion or advice.
Persons who lose their pancreas gland entirely may have insulin requirements as such:
Units of insulin :------------------long acting------------ short acting----The Clinical Outcomes
Table 3------------ study 1 --------4 - 20-------------------15 - 32-------After Total Pancreatectomy
-----------------------study 2 -------- 7 - 48--------------------7 - 70-------Suzuki et al
-----------------------study 3 -------- 0- 16 -------------------10 - 28-------DigSurg 2017 34 142-150
Of course the weight of each patient, the fact that they are more prone to hypos and thus doses
might be adjusted to avoid hypos rather than achieve optimal BSL control and needed a higher
fat and calorie diet etc also influence the figures.
It might however give you an idea of what one's insulin requirements might be like after the
honeymoon period is over.
You will need to speak with your dsn/doctor about dosage adjustments as soon as you can.
As you note sensitivity of injected insulin (= ability of a given dose to lower blood sugar) varies
with exercise, diet, stress, concurrent illness, the weather and season, and beta cell function.
Best Wishes in 'nailing' this situation, It takes patience, trial and error and a sense of humour>
Please let us know of your progress!!

Reactions: Jc3131 and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A 2.8 rise in the mornings isn't too bad really. BUT yeah, it could be your honeymoon period coming to an end AND it could be the fact that you are off work and not so active. From what you have explained it looks more likely to be your honeymoon period is coming to an end. Have a word with your DSN about increasing your insulin ratios and your Lantus

P.S. We wont say anything about your profile pic :)

Reactions: Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies, I've been diagnosed for around 15 months now and I have managed ok with my levels. I have a very active job and normally I take 3u insulin with one meal per day which is circa 110g carbs. The other meal I have at work is at max 50g of carbs. I take no insulin with this as I work it out of my system. I suppose my 2u lantus and my stuttering pancreas is dealing with that meal as well.

These two weeks I've been off work I have still been active but not at work levels. I don't mind some spikes but a few times ive been over 16mmol and not had much to eat.

I mentioned driving was where I had the big spikes, I wonder if it's caused by stressing about going too low and having an accident. I used to love driving, but now I hate it.

As for my profile pic, Sunderland has gave me more issues throughout my life than type 1 has or probs ever will.