Weight Going Up

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been eating roughly the same LCHF diet for the last couple of years and maintaining good BG levels but over the last 2 - 3 months I have gained nearly 2 stone, my diet hasn't changed and at the moment my BG levels are still good. I don't understand why my weight has gone up, my exercise level has remained constant, to which Smokey my Border Collie can testify lol. Any ideas?

M

Moggely

That is a mystery Ian, could you be eating extra maybe and not realizing it. Or maybe more fats as that is what i am doing to maintain my weight as i don't want to lose more. My dog loves the walk to in fact he demands it.:hilarious:. But your blood levels are good so maybe that's more important. I know no one wants to gain weight though.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've been at it a lot longer than me, but I started to gain on LCHF a couple of months ago too. I have started mixing in some extended fasting, which seems to have jolted me back to losing again. I do a couple of days a week of water fasting. Sounds like your body might be desperately trying to regain it's weight set point. Are you feeling cold and tired at all?

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We have had some wacky weather just recently in the U.K.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been eating roughly the same LCHF diet for the last couple of years and maintaining good BG levels but over the last 2 - 3 months I have gained nearly 2 stone, my diet hasn't changed and at the moment my BG levels are still good. I don't understand why my weight has gone up, my exercise level has remained constant, to which Smokey my Border Collie can testify lol. Any ideas?

That does seem an unusually high amount to gain with no major changes in routine @Ian_Laye ! If it were me I might visit the doctor for some blood tests. Do you feel well?

EDIT: Just another thought - have you started any new medications?

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You've been at it a lot longer than me, but I started to gain on LCHF a couple of months ago too. I have started mixing in some extended fasting, which seems to have jolted me back to losing again. I do a couple of days a week of water fasting. Sounds like your body might be desperately trying to regain it's weight set point. Are you feeling cold and tired at all?
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give the water fasting a try.

M

Moggely

Also low thyroid can make you gain weight, could you be tested for that. Over active thyroid"weight loss". Under active thyroid "weight gain".

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reversed my diabetes in the almost two years since diagnosis, and find I need to be very careful these days as I am back in the putting on weight easily state which my doctor po pooed as gluttony and sloth.
I eat only twice a day, and suspect that I eat small amounts compared to many people - 40 gm of carbs, a dessert of berries and cream twice or maybe three times a week, but not often - it is a healthy state for me, as it means that my insulin resistance has reduced, but it means two eggs rather than three for breakfast, and dinner on a tea plate. Cooking the eggs in olive oil, adding cheese and a tomato does increase them to a meal, but I don't eat again until evening.
I do think that it is a good sign, but it can be annoying.