Sunbathing with the pump

Kazzabon

Hi All
Sorry to rub it in but it's 27 degrees here and I've been sitting in the sun this morning and am having trouble trying to keep all the set from direct sunlight.

I know the pump shouldn't be left in the sun so I try to clip it behind me but what should you do with the catheter and injection site? If I'm wearing a bikini top it's not possible to hide the tube or site. What is the right thing to do? Bearing in mind, I spend a lot of time in the garden working or sitting (or snoozing) with not a lot on in the way of clothes for the next 6 months or so and the temperatures rise up to 40 degrees in the summer. Any ideas??

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's 35 degrees here where i live and sunbathing has always been a bit of a owrry for me. I tend to just clip the pump behind me or stick it under a towel to try to keep it cool. The tubing and catheter are exposed pretty much the whole time and I don't worry too much about it now. I was told that when I first moved here to go onto 1.8ml reservoirs (if you have that option) rather than 3ml ones as that way the insulin is used up quicker and has less chance of becoming less effective. This works for me though it does mean more frequent changes of the infusion set and reservoir.

Enjoy the sun!

jopar

Check out Filo cooling bags/cases for the pump..

It's best to keep the tubing as much as possible from direct sun, as this could bake it a bit. and frequent changes of the cartridge is a good idea, depending on pump you've got you may not be able to get a smaller cartridge if you can't then just don't fill the normal size cartridge with too much insulin..

If you cartridge runs out between set changes, then just change the cartridge there's no need to change infusions set because you've changed the cartridge...