Packed Lunch Box

Jaz006

Hi guys

Since being diagnosed with sweet blood. :)I have lived off and enjoyed salads at lunch time. But now the weather is on the turn i am looking for alternatives. I don't fancy a wholemeal sandwich. :arghh:Any ideas anyone??

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have access to a microwave at lunchtime? If so, you could just cook an extra portion of whatever you have for dinner and take that for lunch the next day.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You can get food flasks that seem to be big enough to take a fair sized portion of soup or stew etc. A lovely portion of home made beef stew is just the thing on an autumnal or winter's day.

Reactions: xfieldok

Jaz006

Hello. I am a community worker doing home visits so its rare that I am in the office
So I need a combination of office food and food that I can eat when I'm the car. I am so missing crisps.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello. I am a community worker doing home visits so its rare that I am in the office
So I need a combination of office food and food that I can eat when I'm the car. I am so missing crisps.

I am so with you on the Crisps front! Havn't found a low carb alternative yet that comes close but I continue my search. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pork scratchings? :hungry:

Not a lover of scratchings at all. I did try the salami 'crisps' and found those really nice but they don't have the crunch factor.

Reactions: Rachox

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so with you on the Crisps front! Havn't found a low carb alternative yet that comes close but I continue my search. :)

Pork scratchings? :hungry:

Pork scratchings are an acquired taste ... but my favourite snack nowadays is a variant called "Mr. Porky Crispy Strips." Tastes much better than traditional pork scratchings, I think. Carbohydrates per 20g serving 0.1g (it comes in 40g bags). Very salty, but that applies to all sorts of snacks, low-carb or not....

As good as crisps? Almost.

You might also consider nuts. They vary a lot in carb content, so it's worth checking first on the Diet Doctor site (https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/nuts).

NaomiT

Quinoa? I sometimes cook quinoa with roasted veg and chuck in feta cheese or meat of some kind. Its lovely cold and more substantial than leaves.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: mondFi and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Pork scratchings are an acquired taste ... but my favourite snack nowadays is a variant called "Mr. Porky Crispy Strips." Tastes much better than traditional pork scratchings, I think. Carbohydrates per 20g serving 0.1g (it comes in 40g bags). Very salty, but that applies to all sorts of snacks, low-carb or not....

As good as crisps? Almost.

You might also consider nuts. They vary a lot in carb content, so it's worth checking first on the Diet Doctor site (https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/nuts).
Thank you, will keep my eye out for those.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quinoa? I sometimes cook quinoa with roasted veg and chuck in feta cheese or meat of some kind. Its lovely cold and more substantial than leaves.
Quinoa is not low carb though.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Fritatta? Sausages?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could do a low carb fritatta, as that can be eaten hot or cold.
Not a lover of scratchings at all. I did try the salami 'crisps' and found those really nice but they don't have the crunch factor.

If your salami crisps don't snap and crunch, they need zapping a little longer.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I buy a lot of low carb soups. 300 ml can be as low as 9g carb. My favourite at the moment is Slow Roast Tomato.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy a lot of low carb soups. 300 ml can be as low as 9g carb. My favourite at the moment is Slow Roast Tomato.
Have you found any low carb soups in tins
rather than the chilled sort?