Is This Safe To Do When Blood Sugar Is High?

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I've had a high reading because of soap now I rinse well before testing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes Forum mobile app
I'm currently back home in paradise (that's Malta) where a friend of mine was recently admitted to hospital for back surgery. Fortunately the courier from the UK who was supposed to bring the instructions for running a "National" public health service got lost and never delivered the instructions, you know the ones that say "do the absolute bare minimum". As a result public health care in Malta is brilliant. Part of his pre-op tests included a BG test, which was off the scale. It transpired he had eaten a fruit pastel about 20 minutes previous and there was still some residue on his fingers !

Wash, rinse and thoroughly dry those hands before testing

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a high doubt that this meter is giving false and inaccurate results. I have read (and used it before) many negative reviews about this meter. How did you feel though? Did you feel thirsty or dizzy? I start to feel sick when my sugars go above 14.0 and very sick above 25.0
I did not experience this, and actually was the opposite - I felt fine and happy wth sugar levels off the clock (over 32 mmol/l) and I freqently got the ketones warning. As a T2D, it seemed that my pancreas was still producing insulin, and that in time the level should drop back of it's own accord. The worry though is that if the pancreas has gone on strike, then trouble looms, so ignoring such high levels if suddenly occurring is not good policy, and the OP took a reasonable step to help reduce bgl by exercise. I too suspect this was a rogue reading since the bgl was low.

I need to add my bgl was high three years or so ago, and I was lucky to discover this forum, and learn about the Low Carb diets, which I now follow. I am T2D and my GP has just registered me as Normal in my notes, and DVLA has just renewed my licence all thanks to this site. I no longer see those high figures at all, and I have reduced or stopped most of my medication,

Reactions: alphabeta

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not experience this, and actually was the opposite - I felt fine and happy wth sugar levels off the clock (over 32 mmol/l) and I freqently got the ketones warning. As a T2D, it seemed that my pancreas was still producing insulin, and that in time the level should drop back of it's own accord. The worry though is that if the pancreas has gone on strike, then trouble looms, so ignoring such high levels if suddenly occurring is not good policy, and the OP took a reasonable step to help reduce bgl by exercise. I too suspect this was a rogue reading since the bgl was low.

I need to add my bgl was high three years or so ago, and I was lucky to discover this forum, and learn about the Low Carb diets, which I now follow. I am T2D and my GP has just registered me as Normal in my notes, and DVLA has just renewed my licence all thanks to this site. I no longer see those high figures at all, and I have reduced or stopped most of my medication,
The reason that you feel okay at high figures is due to the fact that your body develops tolerance to high BG and sees it as normal. It takes a while for the body to adapt to normal readings again

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason that you feel okay at high figures is due to the fact that your body develops tolerance to high BG and sees it as normal. It takes a while for the body to adapt to normal readings again
Yes. Indeed. I was lucky, as I took things gently because LCHF was such an alien concept that flew in the face of everything I had been told and contrary to contemporary science at that time, so I decided softly softly catchee monkey. I started with 'Eat to meter' and cut out the obvious hard hitters first. Then I went LC without seeking keto status. Then I started reducing meds, and balancing the carbs to drop me low without hypo's, and then after about 3 months I went keto. At that point my weight dropped too low for comfort, so I increased my fat intake to compensate, which worked for me. Finally I transferred back to an LC version of Mediterranean Diet (a la Pioppi or Malhotra diet) and am happy with my weight and bgl and meds, My GP is also happy, and feeds me test strips once a month as a maintenance measure.

Reactions: alphabeta