Levemir 24 Hours

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've always split my levemir. Not an even split - 10 units am and 4 units pm. I'm now down to 2 units pm and still going low overnight. Is there anyone who uses levemir once a day? My diabetes educator says there are some people who find it does last 24 hours and only need it once a day.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am using it once a day 17u, I am sure it doesn't quite last 24hrs I am considering splitting it.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've always split my levemir. Not an even split - 10 units am and 4 units pm. I'm now down to 2 units pm and still going low overnight. Is there anyone who uses levemir once a day? My diabetes educator says there are some people who find it does last 24 hours and only need it once a day.
Everyone is different, the only way to find out is to try it!

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told levemir lasts 12-16 hours with it peaking around then, unfortunately I was moved recently from levemir Detemir, to abasaglar glargine, good job I knew the difference even if the doctor thought they were identical treatments, I was on 40 units levemir, 20 morning 20 night.... I trialed this with the Abasaglar but knew it was more potent, so I am now on 15 morning 15 night. Youre told to use Glargine once daily, but I find this usually causes hypos more often, we know ourselves better than anyone... good luck.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t split the long-acting. I take about 18-20 units at 8:30 pm every night. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem to create issues, though I have noticed that my sugar is usually on the lower side in the morning. I do think that a small effect does remain for most of the day, but I can’t say about the full 24 hours. Guess the effect and lasting period depends on the person.