Do I Need To Even Out Taking Of Metformin

Paul33

I was prescribed an increase from 2x500mg per day to 3x500mg per day earlier in the year but I'm having real problems remembering the lunchtime dose. I'm completely used to start and end of day dosage but I only remember the mid-day one on about half of the days ...... which isn't good !

My question is can I take 2x500mg with breakfast and the other one late in the day or do they have to be evenly spaced out ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm on three per day and was told to take one in the morning and two at night. Metformin has a cumulative effect so is not strictly time sensitive.

Reactions: Shas3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed an increase from 2x500mg per day to 3x500mg per day earlier in the year but I'm having real problems remembering the lunchtime dose. I'm completely used to start and end of day dosage but I only remember the mid-day one on about half of the days ...... which isn't good !

My question is can I take 2x500mg with breakfast and the other one late in the day or do they have to be evenly spaced out ?

Paul - I would think, in terms of how Metformin works, you should be fine to split your doses to morning and evening. One thing you should be aware of is the potential to have a few tummy issues when you up your doses. Not everyone has these issues, but you should be aware.

For most people, any tummy issues settle within a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Shas3 and Energize

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on three Metformin a day til I recently when I dropped to two, but I had the same problem remembering the lunch time dose so my GP suggested two at breakfast and one at dinner which is what I did and it didn’t make any difference to my readings.