Type 2 Sleeping (how Many Hours Did You Sleep Last Night?)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My take is that sleep monitors and the like are only useful if one can interpret the results. To do that one needs to know exactly what they are measuring and how well that corresponds to the labels of deep sleep etc.
Since so many T2Ds are said to suffer from sleep apnoea it may be worth asking the GP about the advisability (or not) of a formal sleep test which I gather looks are breathing, oxygen levels and brainwave activity etc.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take is that sleep monitors and the like are only useful if one can interpret the results. To do that one needs to know exactly what they are measuring and how well that corresponds to the labels of deep sleep etc.
Since so many T2Ds are said to suffer from sleep apnoea it may be worth asking the GP about the advisability (or not) of a formal sleep test which I gather looks are breathing, oxygen levels and brainwave activity etc.

I do agree with you.

Although in my case, I am fairly happy that because my sleep is a variable, the sleep tracker seems consistent, so I can use it gauge improvement. Or not. The numbers are therefore less important than the idea of 'better' and 'worse'
So far, I have been able to determine how much sleep I need to feel 'rested' and can match that to a number of hours that consistently gives me a 'rested' feeling.
And I have also been able to see, on the screen, the dramatic difference that the magnesium oil makes (it is quite astonishing).

So I am happy that for me, the sleep tracker is a tool to help me in my attempts to get back into a 'normal' and 'restful' sleep pattern.

I do think that sleep apnoea is a hugely unreconised factor for Type 2s (not sure about T1s, so cannot comment), but have never been tested to see whether I have it myself.

The info below gives some quite shocking information on the prevalence of sleep apnoea for T2s as both cause and effect.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/sleep-apnea-and-diabetes.html

https://thorax.bmj.com/content/61/11/945

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/1/14

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5392601/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently I don't sleep through the night - I tend to have short spells of deep sleep generally ended by need for a toilet break. It no longer bothers me as being retired I can now sleep whenever the need takes me. I find too that low carbing has switched my brain to ON and it's difficult to change this.

I've also found that illness, pain and stress can often completely disrupt my sleep patterns and this sometimes sets my body clock round to back-to-front time, which started long before I was ever diabetic though. But I've never even thought of needing to monitor my sleep and I don't necessarily feel tired if I don't sleep when I probably should.

Robbity

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Hi I've been sleeping really well. But I can only go to sleep after reading to about 1.30 - 2.00 am - luckily I'm retired and can sleep in most days, ideally 9.00 ish. My fasting BS been a bit high of late causing me to need more sleep! Used to need about 7.00 hours.
Screenshot_20180903-115026_Fitbit.jpg

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sleep for 2 hours, wake up, stay awake for an hour or two, then sleep for another 6 hours, broken by two or three times of waking to go to the loo.

Reactions: Moggely

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an app called "Sleep Better" or "Pillow Automatic Sleep Tracker" to see my sleeping stats
Just curious to know, how does the app know if you are awake, in a light sleep or a deep sleep?

Reactions: zand

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sleep depends upon how many times I get up for a) cramp and b) having a pee. Usually get from 2200 until 0500 with breaks for a and b.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm sleeping much more now the hot weather is over. Strangely I am often restless until about an hour before I need to get up, then I go into a deep deep sleep!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got 2 points to comment on

1) If I get 3 hours sleep in a night, that's a 'good' night for me. It's improved from 1 hr a night ;) This has been my 'normal' sleep pattern for the last 20 yrs. Yes, I do sometimes need to sleep during the day, when I've 'crashed' ;)

2) I tried a FitBit as I was hoping to get 'evidence' of my lack of sleep at night, as the GPs obviously didn't believe me! In fact, the FitBit recorded I was 'asleep' when I was wide awake but just lying quite still trying to, at least, relax and get some rest. Consequently, the FitBit was returned as it didn't do what it claimed to do ;)

@Brunneria
I'm very interested to hear more about you using Magnesium Oil. Would you be hapy to PM me with more details, please? Or even just point me in the right direction ;) I'd really appreciate learning more about this. I'm happy to give it a try ;)
Many thanks

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious to know, how does the app know if you are awake, in a light sleep or a deep sleep?
It sends a sneaky little spidery nano thing in to your head through your ear to read and record your sleepy brainwaves of course!:eek:

Seriously though, from a quick peek at Google it would appear that movement tracking is probably used as the basis for these apps, and I'd imagine they're based on certain generalizations on how we behave at rest and asleep.

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got 2 points to comment on

1) If I get 3 hours sleep in a night, that's a 'good' night for me. It's improved from 1 hr a night ;) This has been my 'normal' sleep pattern for the last 20 yrs. Yes, I do sometimes need to sleep during the day, when I've 'crashed' ;)

2) I tried a FitBit as I was hoping to get 'evidence' of my lack of sleep at night, as the GPs obviously didn't believe me! In fact, the FitBit recorded I was 'asleep' when I was wide awake but just lying quite still trying to, at least, relax and get some rest. Consequently, the FitBit was returned as it didn't do what it claimed to do ;)

@Brunneria
I'm very interested to hear more about you using Magnesium Oil. Would you be hapy to PM me with more details, please? Or even just point me in the right direction ;) I'd really appreciate learning more about this. I'm happy to give it a try ;)
Many thanks

Absolutely - stand by for PM :D

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sends a sneaky little spidery nano thing in to your head through your ear to read and record your sleepy brainwaves of course!:eek:

Seriously though, from a quick peek at Google it would appear that movement tracking is probably used as the basis for these apps, and I'd imagine they're based on certain generalizations on how we behave at rest and asleep.

Robbity
I have also been doing a bit of research and as you say it it is done by detecting movement. So if you lie still you are officially asleep and if you turn over in your sleep you are officially awake. Most important in analysing sleep is the detection of the different types of sleep, REM etc, which movement doesn't distinguish. It seems to me that unless an app involves electrodes attached to your head it is useless.

M

Moggely

I do indeed have no problem sleeping. My wife on the other hand has a nap in the afternoon complaining that she can't sleep at night. The reason she can't sleep at night is because she has a nap in the afternoon, and then reads with the light on until 2am. You might see the reason for my cynicism. On a more positive note, I extended my sleep during the summer from 6hrs to 8hrs simply by buying some thicker curtains.
lol @Mr_Pot this is just a question ok, now is there a reason why your good wife has a nap in the day, could it be because she doesn't sleep at night, only you can say, so one has to have a little sleep, so napping might be, for some the only way to get a little shut eye.I have tried both, and still have trouble sleeping, as i can't sleep with a nap at all anyway so have given that up and nights are ,"well with insomnia can be a nightmare at times" I am in no way complaining as i see 3 hours a blessing a night and if more i'm:singing::singing:. Oh great idea with heavier curtains by the way. I don't think your cynical at all it's just your opinion and such should be respected.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Same with fitbit. Even record if I drop off in chair - guess it is heart rate

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I use an app called "Sleep Better" or "Pillow Automatic Sleep Tracker" to see my sleeping stats

Downloaded second one but it goes so fast I can’t keep up with it.Thank you for this info will look at first one before I decide x

Reactions: ickihun

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8 hours last night. I spent years suffering with insomnia so I am pretty happy with my sleep patterns nowadays.

Reactions: hankjam