Cycling Glucose Level Prep

davidponting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I cycle a fair amount each week for exercise and I know that when I go out my levels drop very fast so to prepare I ensure my levels are 20+ which isn’t really ideal in terms of hba1c. Just wondering what other cyclist with T1 do it if they do the same?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I cycle a fair amount each week for exercise and I know that when I go out my levels drop very fast so to prepare I ensure my levels are 20+ which isn’t really ideal in terms of hba1c. Just wondering what other cyclist with T1 do it if they do the same?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Hi, it isn’t really ideal if you want to continue to cycle in the longer term.

How fast are you dropping? Over what time period and to what level? Eg is it 22 to 8 over 1 hour?

When you start cycling do you still have short acting insulin on board (taken how long before if so?).

How long is a typical ride? Can you eat as you go?

What is your hba1c and bloods normally like?

Reactions: davidponting

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise and insulin discussion here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/managing-exercise-and-insulin.127691/ and the discussion from my question here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carb-counting-and-exercise-questions.155308/ might be of interest. (my question was what bought me to this forum)

As can be seen from my thread, I have similar concerns about keeping enough sugar in while exercising. I mention running there - but cycling is also relevant. But I would try quite hard to not be in the 20s before starting - I consider 16 to be quite high, and would normally go for low double digits - 10,11, that sort of area, from food I've just eaten.

I don't normally need to eat for an hour, but for more than that I definitely need food to keep me going. If that 20+ is to sustain you over an hour, ie you're coming out at the end of the hour at 4-5, I reckon you've got too much insulin in you - either basal too high, or short acting still around. Either way, something about your dosing regime needs to change.

If it's to keep you going for more than hour, I'd say you need to eat while riding - or of course have some kind of energy drink (50/50 apple juice/water for me, though I did use SIS maltodextrin based stuff for a while.)

Others will probably go further than I've just said - eg eating even for shorter rides. I'd certainly not rule that out before getting a few years experience.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @davidponting, The following is from my experience on insulin for 51 years. It is not professional advice or opinion.
It is a generally agreed-upon fact that exercising with a starting BSL above 14 mmol/l causes the liver to release more glucose and there is apparently a biochemical reason for this. Some may say that they can exercise successfully above this starting point, but the amount of insulin on board etc needs to be factored in. ( and the more insulin there is on board the more risk of hypos at some point). I have cycled, canoed and kayaked, run and played squash.
Initially the 3 options suggested by my doctors to adapt to exercise as a diabetic were: 1) reduce the insulin dose of that insulin working during the exercise period and for 8 hours afterward, 2) eat carbs before and during exercise 3) a combination of both.
Also it was pointed out that there were about 3 ways that diabetics on insulin react initially to exercise, compared to starting BSLs of less than 14 mmol/l): A) BSLs go up, B) BSLs go down C), BSLs stay near the same.
For me exercise, particularly vigorous exercise, sends my BSL up initially BUT without some adjustment in insulin, my BSLs plummet by about the 6 hour mark. Of course it depends to a degree on the intensity and duration of said exercise.
So I had to ensure that there was sufficient insulin in me to try to keep the initial BSL rise during exercise (probably adrenaline- caused) but not so much as to contribute to a low BSL at 6 hours plus.
Starting at > 14 mmol/l lead to incredible muscle ache and no lowering of BSLs later. A waste of effort !!
Eating more food tended to make me nauseous during exercise. I did not stint however on taking fluid to fend off dehydration.
I found that using less vigorous exercise led to less initial upping of BSL. And ensuring that I calculated for only a mild reduction of short-acting insulin but a 20%+ reduction on the long-acting (Levemir - 12 to 16 hours) exercise became manageable.
I also consider that exercise needs to have meaning. This might be aligned to a cost-benefit analysis but involves costs such as boredom of, say I repetitive exercise, and benefits such as sociability (cycling alone vs in a club)
Now that I am on an insulin pump I lower my basal rate by 20 to 30 % for 4 to 5 hours just before setting out for an hour or two's quick walk with weights. That insulin adjustment seems to allow for an initial BSLs rise but also for a potential fall in BSL later.
I use Novorapid in the pump which has a peak of about 2 1/2 hours and duration of about 6 hours BUT by being delivered in small aliquots hour by hour the effects are stretched out.
I wish you well in sorting through your adaption to exercise, and suggest you plumb the expertise of your doctor and dsn.

davidponting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it isn’t really ideal if you want to continue to cycle in the longer term.

How fast are you dropping? Over what time period and to what level? Eg is it 22 to 8 over 1 hour?

When you start cycling do you still have short acting insulin on board (taken how long before if so?).

How long is a typical ride? Can you eat as you go?

What is your hba1c and bloods normally like?

So generally they’re dropping from around 20 to 10 sometimes goes down to 6 or even hypo, though when I do stop after a couple of hours the shoot right up last night they went to HI after finishing on 10.
I do try to prepare before I ride by ensuring there’s to active insulin

A typical ride in the evening is around an hour to and hour and half but at the weekends when I go out the ride can be 2-3hours.

Bloods are mostly up and down I did think they were becoming in control but using the libre for 5 days now I can see they’re all over the place. My hba1c was 81 about 2 months ago they went up from 74 about 8months ago which would tie in with when I started cycling more often again

Thanks for your reply

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi David,

Great, ok they're good times you're on the bike and we need to keep active.

To answer your specific question my approach is to start a longer ride towards top of my normal range (so about 8 to give a buffer), eating snack just before and then topping up with sweets / energy drink along the way. Taking less Bolus for that food then normal and lowering Basal for a longer ride as well. That way I aim to have the exertion offset what would otherwise be increasing blood sugars. Takes time to find the balance.

That rise to HI last night is very odd. Along with your high HbA1C and the general up and down bloods you mention means you're not getting your insulin's right (basal and bolus). Therefore, I think you should think about this holistically rather than just cycling. If you can get your bloods into a better place generally you will be in a much better position to cycle.

It sounds like in the last few days you've got a Libre and found this forum - 2 incredibly powerful tools to improve your diabetes control.

My general advice is just take the next month or so and use the information from this forum and the Libre to get blood sugar a bit more stable and lower.

Food - lower (not necessarily low) carb makes things a lot easier to manage
Food - do you carb count your meals? If you don't have this right then eating the same meals day to day to get this right is boring but effective.
Food - do you pre-bolus (that is inject a few mins before eating)? With Libre you can really use this technique to reduce spikes) and lower HbA1C
Exercise - is important, but even well controlled it can do funny things to our blood sugars. I'd keep the cycling ticking over for next month, but say just half hour per day.

But I think what you need to do is get better overall control of your blood sugar, making things simpler (what you eat, lower carb, limiting exercise) is the way to go. Then when better controlled you can add more in.

davidponting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for your advise it’s really helpful.

I will try to start my rides a little higher than a normal level and as you say snack before a top up during a ride altering my blouse and basal and try that, also working on getting my insulin amounts correct.

I was hoping to be able to ride with a more normal level and be able to see what happens with my levels using the libre while riding but Monday I went out with my blood around 11 and they soon started to drop after 45mins the libre was showing 6.6 and dropping fast which meant a 15/20 min stop on the side of the road eating gluco tabs. I’m not sure if I had any active units of insulin but would of thought I didn’t.

I do carb count and use my accu chek Aviva expert to calculate insulin for my carb intake but I don’t often pre bolus as I always think what if I don’t finish the meal but have already taken insulin for it however since using the libre and seeing the rise’s after eating Is quite eye opening.

Thanks again for your replies

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went out with my blood around 11 and they soon started to drop after 45mins the libre was showing 6.6 and dropping fast which meant a 15/20

11 with no short acting on board is certainly better then 20+ to start, maybe next time have a snack (eg banana) but don't bolus for it then start cycling. Then over those next 45 mins you'd hopefully stay flatter as the rising sugar from the banana is offset by the cycling. You need to experiment maybe it is a whole banana, or maybe half. Or inject half the bolus you would normally for a banana, or none at all. Etc.

Re pre-bolusing and not certain if you'll finish the meal. Could you maybe inject half what you've calculated then the other half towards the end when you know you're going to finish it all? Or pre-bolus whole amount and if you don't finish then make up the carb difference with some concentrated glucose / sweets if you're feeling full up.

Yes Libre is certainly an eye opener isn't it in terms of spikes! I didn't pre bolus before I got Libre but this has been the biggest change for me by far.

When you can stop the spike happening you can then avoid the rollercoaster of having to correct a high... over correcting... then having to eat to stop hypo... eating too much... correcting the high ... over correcting... etc.

You may be crashing when you think you have no short acting on board as by not pre-bolusing you are not lining up the timing of the digestion of food with the release of insulin - you're getting the worst of both worlds. You get the high as the insulin has not started working fully but the food is already digesting and turning to glucose, then a few hours later you're getting a low as the insulin is still active but no food left to digest!

D

Deleted Account

Some great advice here so I only have a little additional recommendation:
- before I was on a pump (ok, that would be an additional bit of advice), I would drink diluted squash drink whilst exercising to maintain my BG levels. In addition to being cheaper, the benefit of squash over bottled isotonic/sports drinks is that you can dilute it is to the level you need. I found drink much easier to get into my system than food and could do it throughout the exercise rather than in a single load.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re the rise after the exercise is over. Adrenalin? Happens to me with most exercise particularly swimming.