searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
OK, i like playing with gadgets and i recently defected from apple to an android device, the galaxy S6 edge, and i could not resist trying the Glucomen Areo meter with NFC

So i went to the glucomen website and ordered the meter, there was an error and they sent me the LX which arrived the next working day.. i emailed glucomen and advised they sent the wrong meter, they dispatched the correct meter the same day, so they are quite responsive to support requests. I have emailed them with details of some software bugs, and each tome they have responded the same day, so it is pleasing to know that someone is reading and responding to communications.

The package arrived, which i quickly opened and did my first test, which i compared with my bayer contour next, and the reading was very close, certainly within the tolerance allowed by iso

The meter itself is finished in a nice gloss black, when the screen is on it has white numbers on black and is back lit the mater itself is a bit larger than the Contour next usb that i had been using, which is not a bad thing as not everyone can handle the smaller meters.

Something that some people may like is the button on the back of the meter that allows you to remove the test strip without touching the strip itself, not something i need as i have average sized fingers, and the test strips are larger that the bayer strips i have been using so i can remove them without touching the bloody end.

The buttons on the meter are well placed and large enough that even the fatter fingered person will be able to use them without issue

The most important thing for me, where i have a lorry license is the it can retail 3 months worth of readings, the meter can store the last 730 readings, which means that you can do 8 tests a day and still have enough to present to the DVLA.

A nice case is provided that keeps a firm grip on the meter, has elastic for the test strip pot and lancet device, and a pocket for some lancets. the case is not a lot of use to me as i have to carry insulin pens with me, and like all my diabetes stuff together, its a shame they don't offer an optional case like the one that was available for the bgstar meter as there was enough space for a weekend supply of diabetes kit.

The provided lancet device is OK, and the needle on it is certainly very fine, and there is plenty of adjustment, and even and alternative testing site cap provided. but the one thing i don't like is that the ‘firing’ button needs too little pressure to trigger it, i find that when i pull back on the head to get it ready to fire, as i change my grip on bring it to my finger i often find i have fired it before it touches my finger, for this reason i am likely to carry on using my multiclix device.

On the software front there is an app for android devices, call glucolog lite, and you simply start the software and hold the meter to the back of the phone and within a second or so the results have been downloaded, and so far this system has worked very well. Diamond for android also accepts readings from this meter in the same way. The app also integrates with health on samsung phones, although at the time of writing there appears to be a small bug and the wrong reading are being imported, i have emailed glucomen and they are going to look at the issue.

Software is available for both PC and MAC, called glucolog, i use a MAC and the software whilst a little slow at times, work perfectly well. The only thing that seems a little odd is that they have made the decision to use a proprietary cable, rather than a generic micro usb cable, but having said that they will send you the cable free of charge. but it is certainly positive that they have included MAC users.

Glucolog lite, is also available for the iPhone, but as apple has not yet made the NFC chipset available to developers yet, it is not possible to download by NFC, glucomen do offer a bluetooth module to download to apple devices, but the do charge somewhere in the region of £30 for it, and I'm too tight to spend that.. and I've now been using the samsung for nearly a month now, and i can normally only tolerate it for about that period of time, so I'm not sure i will stick with the meter when i move back to iPhone.

Glucomen have advised they will now provide the BT module free of charge if you call the customer services number 0800 243667

One thing that is disappointing is that as they offer the software on most platforms, it would be nice for it so sync without the need to download to all devices, even if the syncing was done via cloud storage with dropbox, it would save me having to find my cable and download to the mac.

However these minor disappointments/issues are exactly that ‘minor’ and I've not yet found any one solution that is perfect, and i dare say what is perfect for me, may not be for the next person. And trust me i have had most meters and software solutions, i have a graveyard of glucose meters in the loft. The glucomen has enough going for it that i have actually changed my prescription with my GP for the glucomen test strips…. I think by doing this i am also doing my bit the the NHS as i believe the glucomen test strips cost the NHS less than the bayer strips

Take a look at the glucomen website at: http://www.glucomen.co.uk/areo/

Last edited by a moderator:

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
A great review, thanks.
We upgraded to the areo for my wife from the LX about six months ago. In the main we upgraded for the higher accuracy but the wireless uploading feature was also a draw. However we didnt realise at the time it only worked for android and we're both Apple users. I'm going to have s look into the blutooth module fearure you mentioned as I never knew about it and we're still manually entering the figures into an app.

Thanks again.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
here is a link to the BT device http://www.glucomen.co.uk/glucolog-bluetooth-device/ i have not had the change to play with one, normally everything i use is apple, and I'm only really trying out android again

if you do get one let me know how it goes

i would expect that soon apple will start to open up access to NFC like they have with most other software libraries on the device over the years, so its possible we will see this meter and maybe more work on apple

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are interested in bluetooth meters, the iHealth BG5 is available in the UK as well, and works with iPhone, but is a little more expensive.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Just called the glucomen customer service team on 0800243667 and ordered one. They advised that they now supply them free of charge so give them a call if you still want one. No P&P to pay even.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi yes, I had an email from glucomen today stating they will provide the BT module free of charge which I think is really good, it would help prospective users if this was stated on their website

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you are interested in bluetooth meters, the iHealth BG5 is available in the UK as well, and works with iPhone, but is a little more expensive.
are the bg5 strips available on prescription.?

1 other issue is the bg5 is iphone / idevice only so no good for device swappers

2 can you confirm the number of reading stored on the device? or is it just on the idevice? if so will not be any good for those that need to show the DVLA

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Why do you think that storing the data on the iPhone wouldn't work with the DVLA?

I'm sure if you google it you'll be able to find out the details of the devices storage capability, and ask your GP about strips.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why do you think that storing the data on the iPhone wouldn't work with the DVLA?

I'm sure if you google it you'll be able to find out the details of the devices storage capability, and ask your GP about strips.
because DVLA rules stipulate a meter with a 3 month internal memory which can not be modified

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for this! I shall get onto glucomen on Monday as I had to switch to glucomen areo to get the strips on prescription.

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Searly I had the issue with iPhone not working with Areo and called Glucomen and they are sending me out the dongle free of charge. Try this yourself, tell them which iPhone you have,