joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I found this interesting.
Was slack on cardio exercising for a while as I was really busy in other things and found that my sugar levels have not been flat as they were before.

Can someone please share some info on the liver which am guessing it's the liver that randomly throws out more sugar when not using it in excersise.

Am thinking the liver builds up the sugar then releases it. If not used during excersise can make blood sugar control very tricky.

Not been told this by a Dr, which is not right..

:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

I cannot explain all you have experienced but what I know is
- the liver stores glucose
- it releases glucose throughout the day
- it releases more glucose when we are ill or stressed
- it releases more glucose to give us energy for exercise
- when it releases more glucose, the stores are reduced so more of the glucose in the food we eat is stored in our liver
- when we do not exercise, we use less of these stores so there is no need to take so much glucose from our food

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My liver definitily chugs out glucose when I don't eat enough and am doing exercise.
In your case the lack of exercise may be irrelevant over a short period of time If you were busy perhaps this contributed to stress(= cortisol = insulin resistance = blood sugar randomness).
This happens to 'normals' or those whose beta cells are not b'd too but as t1s we just know about it more since we end up having to chase that blood sugar down! Thus over correction and a high etc. etc.
Hope you are back on an even keel in any case?!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's likely that your insulin resistance has changed as a result of lack of exercise. Succinctly, when you exercise, more insulin receptors come to the surface of your cells. This is why you need less insulin after physical activity.

The more insulin you take, the more you expose yourself to dosing errors; a 20% error in food nutritional info and a 20% error in injected insulin entering the blood stream both count against when insulin resistance increases (a 20% error in 10u of insulin is worse than 20% in 5u).

Reactions: porl69 and joules

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Thanks for your replies.
I went out for a run yesterday morning and a few hours following that my blood sugars have been much flatter and that's including during the night where is usually wake up with a high.

I use the freestyle libre which has showed me the difference.

Yes, insulin resistance is major @SamJB

I reckon every other day minimum is important to run/get the heart rate between 136-148 (age reflective) the full benefits and for up to a minimum of 20mins..

Last edited:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies.
I reckon every other day minimum is important to run/get the heart rate between 136-148 (age reflective) the full benefits and for up to a minimum of 20mins..

I completely agree! I find that any exercise with a duration of at least 15 mins, that gets my heart rate up to around 130-150, is enough to keep my insulin resistance low