Insulin Packaging

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well over 50 years ago, I was told to always check the colours of the box my insulin came in because it was an easy way when I leave the pharmacy to confirm I’d the right stuff.

The last but one time I picked up my supply the box was completely in the Greek language although some parts of it were over-labelled in English. The colouring and design of the box and the insulin name was spot on. It did bother me a wee bit though.

This morning I collected my next supply. This time the box was enormous, more than twice the size of the usual one, white with no colouring and only large black text with the name of my insulin, some batch numbers and words that said it had been ‘repackaged’. Not happy at all. The pharmacist confirmed it was my insulin though.

Called Lilly who checked the numbering and said it was a valid batch. They also said it looked like the supplier who provides my chemist had begun buying the insulin cheaper in another European country, importing it and then re-packing/labelling. She said it was legal and called parallel importing. Folks here might know about it but it's new to me!

I wish they wouldn’t change things like this because it, for me, is unsettling but maybe that’s just because of my age. It sounds daft but in some ways I now don’t trust the bl**dy insulin I got today even though the cartridges are the same. Next time I’ll ask the pharmacy if they can issue me with what they used to but maybe I just have to take what they give me. I'm finding now though that these days I'm not good with change.

Maybe it will stop when Brexit happens as those imports might cost a lot more.

Rant over!

Bill

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well over 50 years ago, I was told to always check the colours of the box my insulin came in because it was an easy way when I leave the pharmacy to confirm I’d the right stuff.

The last but one time I picked up my supply the box was completely in the Greek language although some parts of it were over-labelled in English. The colouring and design of the box and the insulin name was spot on. It did bother me a wee bit though.

This morning I collected my next supply. This time the box was enormous, more than twice the size of the usual one, white with no colouring and only large black text with the name of my insulin, some batch numbers and words that said it had been ‘repackaged’. Not happy at all. The pharmacist confirmed it was my insulin though.

Called Lilly who checked the numbering and said it was a valid batch. They also said it looked like the supplier who provides my chemist had begun buying the insulin cheaper in another European country, importing it and then re-packing/labelling. She said it was legal and called parallel importing. Folks here might know about it but it's new to me!

I wish they wouldn’t change things like this because it, for me, is unsettling but maybe that’s just because of my age. It sounds daft but in some ways I now don’t trust the bl**dy insulin I got today even though the cartridges are the same. Next time I’ll ask the pharmacy if they can issue me with what they used to but maybe I just have to take what they give me. I'm finding now though that these days I'm not good with change.

Maybe it will stop when Brexit happens as those imports might cost a lot more.

Rant over!

Bill

As I understand the situation, 'we' don't make insulin this country and there is currently no facility to do it. It's all imported, so I'm afraid the situation may well get worse before it gets better.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Also, I don’t know how many cartridges you are prescribed a month but if it isn’t a factor of 5 then the pharmacist will have to split up and repackage. I only get 3 a month of one of mine. Comes in a chemist box with no leaflets or anything inside but the insulin....

Reactions: kitedoc

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @rochari ,

Just over 42 years for me. But I always check the brand labelling on the dispensed script..(just incase of a mess up.)
What insulin are you using. & how is the repackaged supply actually performing?

Reactions: Dodo and porl69

Carterc2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As I understand the situation, 'we' don't make insulin this country and there is currently no facility to do it. It's all imported, so I'm afraid the situation may well get worse before it gets better.
You may find that this practice will stop under Brexit as movement of goods within the EU will now become subject to export & import tax.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I don’t know how many cartridges you are prescribed a month but if it isn’t a factor of 5 then the pharmacist will have to split up and repackage. I only get 3 a month of one of mine. Comes in a chemist box with no leaflets or anything inside but the insulin....

Hello donnellydogs, It's always been two boxes, each with five cartridges inside. Interesting that you only get three of one of your insulins but understand that the chemist would have to put them into one of their own boxes. Bill

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @rochari ,

Just over 42 years for me. But I always check the brand labelling on the dispensed script..(just incase of a mess up.)
What insulin are you using. & how is the repackaged supply actually performing?

Jaylee, I bet you too remember being told to check the boxes carefully. It seemed to be the bible all those days ago. Yup, the insulin that came in the box which was completely in Greek worked fine. Fingers crossed the supply I got yesterday will be the same. I'm on Humulin M3. Bill

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an open prescription for my insulin and can login to the surgery system and order my next 5 pack whenever I need one. This saves having to use split packs and the cost to the pharmacy of doing that.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have an open prescription for my insulin and can login to the surgery system and order my next 5 pack whenever I need one. This saves having to use split packs and the cost to the pharmacy of doing that.

We have that sort of thing too... but our practice calculates the doses and even 3 cartridges is too much as I currently only have 2 units of this insulin per day. I often don’t reorder etc but 5 in my fridge would just take up too much room with the other 2 insulin’s I use. I’m on a odd regime so have 3 insulin’s to get...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We have that sort of thing too... but our practice calculates the doses and even 3 cartridges is too much as I currently only have 2 units of this insulin per day. I often don’t reorder etc but 5 in my fridge would just take up too much room with the other 2 insulin’s I use. I’m on a odd regime so have 3 insulin’s to get...
Hi. Thanks. I've never heard of anyone using three insulins and I'd love to know the reasons for that?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi. Thanks. I've never heard of anyone using three insulins and I'd love to know the reasons for that?

Because the standard regimes of basals don’t work. So I have insulatard at 3am and when I wake and tresiba at 4pm. Have tried to change this but nothing works so just gone back to this regime again at beginning of week..
also have a bolts as well before getting up. 3 injections before even getting out of bed...

Xx

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Parallel imports. I had to different non working lots of Lantus, one in Spanish and one in Polish, 3 prescriptions in a week, Sanofi said here was nothing wrong with what I sent back but 3 days running woke with a blood at 28-29. I refused to take any PI products and now wait an extra day for insulin scripts so they source me UK insulin.

Some issues turn me militant and this was one as I just want insulin sold by the maker for the UK market, not something sourced in a 3rd country at a cheaper cost for the sellers, my script notes show "UK insulin only" on them now.