Sick bug - doing this all wrong - alternatives please?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
For the second time this year I have been at the mercy of a nasty sickness bug, caught from my grandson who goes to nursery. Still recovering from this latest attack on Sunday night through to Monday morning - I feel very weak and have no appetite, not much I can eat still as my stomach is still protesting - so back to porridge! However, I know I am probably doing this all wrong and would appreciate some advice on what I can actually eat that will not rocket my glucose levels, but not make me feel nauseous. It is kind of hard to know whether the sickness bug or the diabetes is making me feel so rough :(, I have been trying to keep up my metformin at least once a day, although I already have mentioned my concerns about taking this twice a day since a general decrease in appetite and weight loss seemingly following my increase from one to a two a day dose! Yes, I will probably have to see GP about this - eventually, but seems I am always seeing her for one thing or another these days - beginning to feel like a hypochondriac :!:

Clairslloyd

I may be wrong but have you tried a piece of toast, maybe with marmite or margerine. Thats what I usually eat and it doesnt seem to affect my bs as much as porridge. Hope you feel better soon :wink:

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi try an oxo cube dissolved in hot water with pepper . Do'nt worry too much about your bloods as you still need energy to cambat the bug.
Get well soon :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
thanks guys, will try some of these, I guess some of them seem obvious and have been drinking unsweetened lemonade, tons of water etc - cannot seem to face yoghurt yet though. I do not have any OXO to hand but guess the Knorr stock would be the same. Having plain white fish tonight :) just been feeling so weak, and knowing I need to get some kind of nourishment into myself!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Just taking a second look at the NHS link from Catherine and surprised to notice that they actually advising testing four times a day!

Also, surprised to see sweetened lemonade and lucozade!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
HpprKM said:
Just taking a second look at the NHS link from Catherine and surprised to notice that they actually advising testing four times a day!

Also, surprised to see sweetened lemonade and lucozade!

Not surprising really HpprKM......while you are ill diabetes has to take a back seat until you are feeling better. So a little of some energy drinks may help....in moderation of course.

Hope you are feeling better soon........

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
purely out of intrest
has your meds changed lately if so contact your gp . Still get well soon :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
Oh nice things in moderation, sounds good :D

In answer to the query, my Metformin was increased to double several months ago, my glucose levels were around 5.7 but GP said they had slowly been increasing with each testing so thought I would benefit, not really felt good overall since. Also, have been expressing worries about loss of appetite and, subsequently weight, luckily never being obese, now worried about getting too thin, especially with recent sickness.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
as i understand metformin is an appetite surpressant how ever you should express your concern to your gp just to rule out any side affects .One of the moniters will have the correct lists of side affects as it would take half the night to type them . :lol: :lol: :lol:
ps can you see my spelling mistakes ? I can't :lol: :lol: :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
During one really bad bout of sickness and stomach cramps, pre-diabetes, I diluted lemonade with hot water. It really worked. Haven't had to try it since (cast iron digestion! :lol: ).

Chicken soup is always good - tinned is okay, and not too bad re carbs if it's all you're eating.

Rice pudding is also a great comforting and soothing food, but I haven't worked out a diabetes-friendly version yet.

Port-and-brandy is supposed to be very good for upset stomachs, and I'm a great believer in prevention being better than cure!

Get better soon, HpprKM

MontitOr, JF - not moniter ( :shock: ) sorry - I'm a proofreader in another life - though I'm just as prone to typos as anyone else! :wink:

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I know this doesn't sound like a very healthy cure but when I feel sick I have a glass of coke.
When it was first invented it was a "miracle" remedy not a drink. For me it really does the
trick :) The low sugar version seems to work too.

jaykay

Daisy, my friends you used to swear by flat coke as a cure-all for a hangover and that it helped with the dodgy tummy thing as well. Wouldn't know, as have never suffered from a hangover in my life <- *smugness factor*!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Interesting thread this, I hope you are feeling better HpprKM :)

When I get tummy bugs I avoid all dairy foods until a day after I feel OK as milk seems to agravate things, with me anyway. If I just can't eat then I nibble a piece of toast or a couple of plain biscuits and drink flat diet 7up, the lemonade thing again or Dioralyte from the chemists.

As I start to feel a bit better I will eat soups for a day, getting thicker with each meal and then once I feel OK again I return to my usual diet.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sid is right dairy is not a good thing because it(feeds) the bug clear soup with toast diluted apple juice are ok Hope you feel better soon
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've always eaten chicken soup when unwell, when my children were younger it was the first thing they ate during illness, it may be a old wives tale but always seems to work and certainly perks you up.

Nigel

jaykay

Nope, there are apparently documeted proofs of the benefits of chicken soup. And as it's yummy and not bad for us diet driven types...go for it sez I! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jaykay said:
Nope, there are apparently documeted proofs of the benefits of chicken soup. And as it's yummy and not bad for us diet driven types...go for it sez I! :D

Good to know! :D

Nigel

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hi all,

You are such a great bunch, so many suggestions and get well wishes! Feeling better today. More worried now about my 11 month old grandson, my daughter seems to think he may have celiac disease, ie cannot eat wheat, he was fine on Tuesday when at home with her, yesterday at nursery she was called from work as he had been sick again, he had weetabix, toast and another wheat product, he has certainly matched many of the symptoms since being introduced to wheat he has gone from a happy, thriving baby to a moany, tetchy baby in a matter of weeks, the weight is falling off him and it is very worrying. My daughter knows quite a bit about intolerances to food, grandson already has a diary intolerance and has been a special milk almost from birth, she has a gluten intolerance and has studied lots of literature on the subject. Thinking about it, she can trace back much of his sickness to introduction to wheat substances and times of eating it and being ill. We feel that by being in close contact with him, I care for him 2 days a week, when he is sick is making us sick.

Touch wood, today after almost 24 hours of wheat free food he is seemingly getting back to his old personality and happier - not really wishing him to have the disease but if we can pinpoint what is making him ill it would be a relief, he has even been suffering from skin problems, attributed to eczema, but apparently another celiac disease symptom. Every time he gets sick we do too, just his parents and myself - and she has ruled out all other causes, everything is thoroughly cleaned so not a hygiene problem. He has to see a paedeatrician, but I none of us have ever had so many illnesses since last December, around the time he was introduced to wheat and things have been going down hill. Maybe someone here has advice on this, not diabetes I know but such wise people on here :wink: