Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @TTTE This is a terribly sad story however if you read the article she had lost alot of weight and because of the compliments she had received she had decided not to take her insulin despite having a cannula fitted to make insulin dosing easier, so having a fear of needles sounds like a cover for the real reason of her not taking her insulin which was in fact diabulimia.

Reactions: kitedoc

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
so having a fear of needles sounds like a cover for the real reason of her not taking her insulin which was in fact diabulimia.

I don't feel so bad about my comment on the other thread. She needed psychiatric help. Three DKA in a short space of time must have rung alarm bells.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sadly I feel a lot of her problems were society’s unhealthy obsession with thinness - combine that with a genuine fear of the injections, and you have the perfect recipe for diabulimia. She had an easy way to lose weight, and a sound excuse for not doing her injections (the fear). One of the articles I read about this tragic story was saying that all her friends and family kept complementing her appearance as she wasted away, and that she was terrified of gaining weight. Just so sad.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
This makes me so angry.

Not at her killing herself out of vanity, but because of her parents and doctors not taking action to prevent her self-harm after the first coma proved she was unable or unwilling to manage her disease. This was a preventable suicide and from what I've read, those closest to her bear some moral if not legal responsibility for what happened.

I also had rapid weight loss and barely survived DKA + coma, and the doctors were furious that my completely oblivious mother didn't bring me in long before I got to looking like a Holocaust survivor. I even went to school that morning (a Jewish high school) and they were mortified and made comments asking what had I been subjected to in order to look like I had just escaped a WWII-era horror flick. They sent me home in a taxi and I collapsed at my door after walking through it, pissing myself in the process apparently. The body vacates itself when it's about to die.