When To Eat

Wendy18480

Hi all,

I was diagnosed T2 at the end of January 2018 and, as seems to be the case, was sent away from my surgery with a factsheet about NHS approved sensible eating and enough tablets to fall an elephant!

Then I joined this community and learned stacks of info, got into self-testing and am learning to understand what happens to my sugars and when.

I am considerably overweight so would like to loose a lot and have in the past with some success used Slimming World but that really doesn't seem compatible now. Having researched and tried various things the one that suits me best seems to be LCHF.

My problem is that I'm not a grazer, I'm a one meal a day person, that one meal now is supper. Does this fit with controlling my numbers OK? How do other people on it split their meals, or not.

I'm off back to the surgery on Tuesday for my 6 month (overdue) check with the nurse from hell, I have a bad attitude already about being lectured by her, all of which I will take sweetly then go my own way!!

I should also say that I'm supposed to be taking 2000mg Glucophage per day but they make me feel so ill that I'm only taking one (500mg) a day which seems to suit but I would really love to be able to get rid of that as well but do understand that I can't do this all at once and that may take time.

Any advice gratefully received.

Wendy
xx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating once a day is not only fine, but is good for losing weight. I really struggle to lose weight, and have a couple of health issues, but when i am able to eat only once a day then i find the weight comes off easier.

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If one meal a day suits you then I can't see that as being a problem, some people choose to do OMAD rather than split meals. You are doing intermittent fasting which other people also choose to do. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Some people find that to stem DP they must eat in the a.m which shows again just how different we are.

Wendy18480

If one meal a day suits you then I can't see that as being a problem, some people choose to do OMAD rather than split meals. You are doing intermittent fasting which other people also choose to do. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Some people find that to stem DP they must eat in the a.m which shows again just how different we are.

I find if I eat in the morning, I love a good breakfast, by lunchtime I'm craving something else and by evening I'm ready to eat the fridge!!

If I eat in the evenings I don't get the cravings but my BG is higher when I get up (5am) than at say 9am, but then I suppose a liver dump in the witching hour would be the reason for that.

Reactions: Guzzler

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I eat in the morning, I love a good breakfast, by lunchtime I'm craving something else and by evening I'm ready to eat the fridge!!

If I eat in the evenings I don't get the cravings but my BG is higher when I get up (5am) than at say 9am, but then I suppose a liver dump in the witching hour would be the reason for that.
what does a meal look like for you? higher fats and lower carbs should help you feel full and help suppress hunger.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I am/was the same. I used to say that my first bite of the day was my 'Starter for Ten'. I am not a morning eater in a comfortable way but because I am on food dependant drugs for other conditions I have to eat in the morning and in the evening. Without these drugs I would be OMAD quite comfortably and it is said that DP and indeed, insulin resistance improves over time thereby improving liver dumps. We do what we have to and what we are comfortable with.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say that it is a very good thing you are not a grazer. I am convinced part of the reason for the diabetes epidemic is caused by the modern culture of grazing. We aren't designed to be grazers. Cows, sheep, goats and my tortoises are grazers and their metabolism is designed for it. Ours isn't. There is nothing wrong with one meal a day as long as the portion sizes are sensible and you ensure you are eating all the essential vitamins and minerals, so carry on as you are.

Personally I have 2 proper meals a day, lunch and evening meal, and at the moment am also having one soft boiled egg at breakfast time. I have never snacked so between meal eating has never been a problem for me.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Wendy18480

what does a meal look like for you? higher fats and lower carbs should help you feel full and help suppress hunger.

Normally meat/fish & veg. I've always struggled to eat fruit and would rather have veg. In an ideal world when hormones aren't raging, during the week I'm inclined to live on stir-frys, meat/fish, onions, mushroom, a small amount of tomatoes and maybe a small amount of pineapple. or roasted meat and roasted veg like carrots, onions & parsnips (maybe only a couple of times a week as they are higher in carbs). Sometimes I'll do homemade egg fried rice ( 50g rice is 11.5g carbs) with diced turkey breast (just for a change and normally only once a week)

My cravings for chocolate and cake have mostly gone, I find it all too sweet now.

I've also recently discovered the joys of lemon water, so much nicer that just plain water and tasty hot or ice cold.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After throwing away the tablets I go longer needed to do all my errands in the mornings, then eat my main meal at lunchtime.
By checking on how my BG levels reacted and how I felt - I have been on some seriously low calorie diets in the past and at the first hint of deprivation my metabolism shuts down, I now eat first thing and late in the evening. I eat about 1/4 of my carbs in the morning and the rest in the evening, as I am less resistant then.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally meat/fish & veg. I've always struggled to eat fruit and would rather have veg. In an ideal world when hormones aren't raging, during the week I'm inclined to live on stir-frys, meat/fish, onions, mushroom, a small amount of tomatoes and maybe a small amount of pineapple. or roasted meat and roasted veg like carrots, onions & parsnips (maybe only a couple of times a week as they are higher in carbs). Sometimes I'll do homemade egg fried rice ( 50g rice is 11.5g carbs) with diced turkey breast (just for a change and normally only once a week)

My cravings for chocolate and cake have mostly gone, I find it all too sweet now.

I've also recently discovered the joys of lemon water, so much nicer that just plain water and tasty hot or ice cold.
Is that for eggs and rice?
Cooked brown rice is 32 percent carbs - though that could be a US count rather than UK.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm surprised that with Low carb and only one meal a day you are still overweight? Are you gradually losing weight? Is the Glucophage the SR variety? if not ask the DN for Glucophage SR (Slow Release) or generic SR as SR is much kinder.

Wendy18480

I did a "carbs in brown rice" search & it came back with 23 per 100 and eggs are 1.1 per 100
Looking again it is the US count, never saw that.

Found this which looks quite useful as a quick guide
dudleygroup.nhs.uk/leaflet/carbohydrate-counting-tables-v1/

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. I'm surprised that with Low carb and only one meal a day you are still overweight? Are you gradually losing weight? Is the Glucophage the SR variety? if not ask the DN for Glucophage SR (Slow Release) or generic SR as SR is much kinder.

Weight loss is as individual as blood glucose response. Some of us react to a change in carb amount/insulin response almost immediately and for some of us there is a delay and for some people even though bg response is smashing weight loss remains elusive. No one size fits all.

Wendy18480

Yes I'm on the slow release.

The first few months of diagnosis have been spent switching from one thing to another trying to find out what suits therefore not sticking to anything for long enough to get results but I think I'm settled now for a LCHF diet. I'm not sure I can manage Keto, although it seems to get results I think for me it's too hard.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for some of us, including me, low carb helps our blood sugar levels, but we still dont lose weight, or lose weight very, very slowly.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I'm on the slow release.

The first few months of diagnosis have been spent switching from one thing to another trying to find out what suits therefore not sticking to anything for long enough to get results but I think I'm settled now for a LCHF diet. I'm not sure I can manage Keto, although it seems to get results I think for me it's too hard.
how much weight do you have to lose?

M

Moggely

I haven't been here that long but if one day of food is for you, go for it,so i am going on a limb and asking you to ask @bulkbiker as he seems to be the expert on that.. Wish you well.

JaniceMcD_

Hi all,

I was diagnosed T2 at the end of January 2018 and, as seems to be the case, was sent away from my surgery with a factsheet about NHS approved sensible eating and enough tablets to fall an elephant!

Then I joined this community and learned stacks of info, got into self-testing and am learning to understand what happens to my sugars and when.

I am considerably overweight so would like to loose a lot and have in the past with some success used Slimming World but that really doesn't seem compatible now. Having researched and tried various things the one that suits me best seems to be LCHF.

My problem is that I'm not a grazer, I'm a one meal a day person, that one meal now is supper. Does this fit with controlling my numbers OK? How do other people on it split their meals, or not.

I'm off back to the surgery on Tuesday for my 6 month (overdue) check with the nurse from hell, I have a bad attitude already about being lectured by her, all of which I will take sweetly then go my own way!!

I should also say that I'm supposed to be taking 2000mg Glucophage per day but they make me feel so ill that I'm only taking one (500mg) a day which seems to suit but I would really love to be able to get rid of that as well but do understand that I can't do this all at once and that may take time.

Any advice gratefully received.

Wendy
xx
Hi Wendy

My son is T2 controlled with insulin. He joined Slimming World 9wks ago and has lost Around 20lb. His sugar levels are now much lower and his dietician is really pleased with him, she does know he goes to SW and is OK with it. Give it a go you might be pleasantly surprised.