Fallen off the wagon!

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was doing so well up till about 2 weeks ago then i went on holiday were i ate **** before i was eating healthy and low carbs. I'm now finding it really hard to get back on it. My BG has been high coz of it! I'm starting on a weight management course on Tuesday I really hope tht makes me get my **** in gear!

Reactions: Serena51 and Freema
Type of diabetes
Type 2
xlisa23x I to went on holiday on a all inclusive hotel for a week I also eat **** and far too many Ice Cream dishes which were delicious and drink on top of that, I've been going to the gym 4 times a week since Feb every week, but 2 weeks without exercise and eating **** and it soon knocks all the good work you do, but the way I look at it is your here to enjoy yourself and if you indulge for maybe a week or two on holiday then in the long term it's not going to do you any harm, go back to what you were doing before and I'm sure you will be ok, Good Luck with your efforts.

Reactions: Serena51

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like me too but I'm back on the wagon and already feeling better so I can only recommend joining us back on board

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @xlisa23x ..
Don't beat yourself up .. I would wager that everybody here (including me) has slipped up at some time in the same sort of way. The important (and the only) thing to do is step back, remind yourself of how well you were doing before your hols .. then get back on board, get back to where you were two weeks ago .. and continue going forward again
Good luck on your weight management course .. but beware of what they most probably tell you about, eg:
# you must eat a balanced diet, including starchy carbs
# you must cut out (or down on) fat
# you must eat 5 portions of fruit or veg
etc etc
The point is, you know what's right .. you know what works for you .. you know what you need to do

Hope this helps

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys I'm really annoyed with myself. I will climb back on tht wagon. I'm not a member of a gym but am thinking about it

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
We all need an incentive to get back on the wagon after a break, think of something you want to do or to achieve, perhaps it is a local charity walk, or a new dress for a special occasion, then go for it. I find carrots work far better than sticks. Before you sign up for a gym try an online walking course there are several on youtube, some are set up by qualified people (ie not 'celebrities')., I used the Leslie Sansone series but there are others. You can take it at your own pace, fit it into your day without the fuss of having to go to the gym and buy special clothing, no going out in the cold and wet, and they do the job - well they did for me. The diet then becomes a secondary means to an end that you have chosen and want to achieve. Good luck

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all need an incentive to get back on the wagon after a break, think of something you want to do or to achieve, perhaps it is a local charity walk, or a new dress for a special occasion, then go for it. I find carrots work far better than sticks. Before you sign up for a gym try an online walking course there are several on youtube, some are set up by qualified people (ie not 'celebrities')., I used the Leslie Sansone series but there are others. You can take it at your own pace, fit it into your day without the fuss of having to go to the gym and buy special clothing, no going out in the cold and wet, and they do the job - well they did for me. The diet then becomes a secondary means to an end that you have chosen and want to achieve. Good luck
I lost weight from undiagnosed type 2 and it made me feel good about myself so I want to continue. What are the walking courses I have looked but don't know what I looking for.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @xlisa23x, I guess a lot of us have fallen by the wayside on occasions; we just have to pick ourselves, dust ourselves off and start (hopefully not 'all over') again. I did the same as @Phoenix55, after advice from someone on the forums and found that the at home videos are so much better for me and my lifestyle. This doesn't stop me going out for a walk whenever I can / feel able to. Sometimes I even do both!

Here's some options you might want to have a look at:
HIIT for Beginners: Walking Interval Cardio Workout, Low Impact, Fat Burning - YouTube
Best total body exercise for type 2 diabetes - Level 1 - YouTube
Walking - Part 1: Start Quick & Easy - YouTube

You'll probably find that when the vid opens, there will be a bunch of other suggestions given on the right-hand side, so you can just click on any of those, and gradually "grow" your list of selections. There are tons to choose from, with all different ability levels.

:)

ps: had another go at getting the references right; hope this gives the right display now. :nailbiting:

Last edited:

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I lost weight from undiagnosed type 2 and it made me feel good about myself so I want to continue. What are the walking courses I have looked but don't know what I looking for.
sorry for the delay in responding but I don't check in every day when I am working. Go to youtube, in their search bar type in 'Leslie Sansone' and there are a lot of walking sessions there. I would start with one that is no more than 15 minutes or find the 'start walking at home', believe me you use far more than walking muscles and 45 minutes is for someone who is already fit. No mirrors, so you don't know how ridiculous you look, or if you do it is good for your sense of humour! You need something to prop up a laptop at a height that you can see to follow the instructions. and space to walk a few steps forwards and back, also kick forwards and back.

I also used a 'bodyblade', can be picked up from ebay or bought new from QVCUK. There is a very supportive 'ohana' on Facebook and it helps to keep muscles toned as you lose weight, particularly those in the upper arms. It does not take up a lot of space, is easy to use and once again a few seconds of each exercise of the super six is sufficient and the effect is cumulative during the day.

It will not work for everyone, but as a reluctant athlete it worked for me and was something I use daily, provides variety and is not expensive.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also used a 'bodyblade', can be picked up from ebay or bought new from QVCUK. There is a very supportive 'ohana' on Facebook and it helps to keep muscles toned as you lose weight, particularly those in the upper arms. It does not take up a lot of space, is easy to use and once again a few seconds of each exercise of the super six is sufficient and the effect is cumulative during the day.

It will not work for everyone, but as a reluctant athlete it worked for me and was something I use daily, provides variety and is not expensive.

I can second the Bodyblade, I bought one a few years back, they are easy to use and are effective. Plenty of videos on youtube too. They look too simple to work but 2 minutes in and you realise they are working your heart!

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks guys I'm really annoyed with myself. I will climb back on tht wagon. I'm not a member of a gym but am thinking about it

We all fall off the wagon from time to time, we are only human afterall but you dont need to join a gym, look up Max workouts on youtube, loads of short quick exercise routines that dont need loads of equipment, just your own bodyweight.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in the same boat! Well done for getting back on the wagon. It sounds like you're determined!

If it helps, I fell off the wagon for around 2 months, I've been back on for a week and the great thing is that I can see my sugars going down so quickly and i'm probably a couple of weeks away from my former controlled sugars. So it doesn't feel like starting from the very beginning at least. Hopefully it will be similar for you.

You've done it once, you can do it again!

In terms of the gym, do whatever works for you, everyone is different. For ages I told myself 'I enjoy walking, i'll just go after work or at lunchtime' and it just never ended up happening. The gym has given me some structure and has helped me push through the pain barrier of hopping back on the wagon.

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was doing so well up till about 2 weeks ago then i went on holiday were i ate **** before i was eating healthy and low carbs. I'm now finding it really hard to get back on it. My BG has been high coz of it! I'm starting on a weight management course on Tuesday I really hope tht makes me get my **** in gear!
I'm so with u I lost weight watched all carbs and counted ! Have completely lost the plot eating bread chocolate cakes etc !!!

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @xlisa23x ..
Don't beat yourself up .. I would wager that everybody here (including me) has slipped up at some time in the same sort of way. The important (and the only) thing to do is step back, remind yourself of how well you were doing before your hols .. then get back on board, get back to where you were two weeks ago .. and continue going forward again
Good luck on your weight management course .. but beware of what they most probably tell you about, eg:
# you must eat a balanced diet, including starchy carbs
# you must cut out (or down on) fat
# you must eat 5 portions of fruit or veg
etc etc
The point is, you know what's right .. you know what works for you .. you know what you need to do

Hope this helps
I'm a little puzzled why you recommend so much fruit when it's high in fructose and starches which go against the ideology of curing diabetes.
Surely you should be reducing carbs to a minimum and increasing healthy fats to a maximum that way you develop appetite satiety and reduce insulin and leptin resistance.
It would appear your suggestion is based on the 1970s floored research done by Ansell Keyes and perhaps doesn't reflect adequately up to date modern assessment of the causes of diabetes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a little puzzled why you recommend so much fruit when it's high in fructose and starches which go against the ideology of curing diabetes.
Surely you should be reducing carbs to a minimum and increasing healthy fats to a maximum that way you develop appetite satiety and reduce insulin and leptin resistance.
It would appear your suggestion is based on the 1970s floored research done by Ansell Keyes and perhaps doesn't reflect adequately up to date modern assessment of the causes of diabetes.
I think you mis read the post. He is warning her against what the weight management course might tell her to do.

he said: but beware of what they most probably tell you about

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm so with u I lost weight watched all carbs and counted ! Have completely lost the plot eating bread chocolate cakes etc !!!
So you did it once, you can do it again, but this time think about what made you 'fall off' because as sure as eggs is eggs it will happen again. Perhaps try swapping out the bread, chocolate and cakes for lower carb alternatives, and finally perhaps find that a miniscule portion is enough to satisfy a craving. When cake appears at work I can try a sliver, appreciate it and the donor does not feel awkward. You may be an all or nothing person and have to take a different approach but we are all behind you willing you on.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the years I have been low carbing I have seen a lot of people trying to eat just a small amount of a high carb food, and failing - yes they eat the sliver of cake, and then a few minutes later they are eating more of it, or another high carb food.
I find it far easier just to say no - politely, but no.
Do plan and prepare for meals which are low carb. Have the right food in the fridge, make sugar free jelly, defrost food in good time, look for recipes which are low carb and make sure you have the ingredients.